Dog rushing out of open gate

kian_aun
Novice

Dec 15, 2005, 6:19 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Dog rushing out of open gate Can't Post

need advise.

my dog will rush out of the gate, once its open. how do i overcome this?

how do i make sure that she will not run out of my house compound

when i open the gate to reverse my car? once she is out, i will have difficulty

getting her back into the house. any tips???

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 15, 2005, 8:44 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kian_aun] Dog rushing out of open gate [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend, dogs are like small children and will do what they like UNLESS you have taught them otherwise. That means that you have to teach them what is correct and accepted behavior. I would advise that you join a puppy training class with your doggie. It is fairly easy to teach and part of the CGC training program.

First, you bond with your dog; second, you start training the basic commands, e.g. COME, SIT, STAY, HEEL, etc.; It is part of the said training program to teach a dog NOT to rush out the door or gate. Hope that you will enjoy the time you spend with your dog. Good luck

kian_aun
Novice

Dec 16, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Dog rushing out of open gate [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advise Joe,

I got my dog few days ago from the roadside. Noticed that for past 2 months, no owner claim her. So i decided to keep her safe at my place. she may not like to be confined in a house, thats probably y she likes to rush out as she is used to "wild" environment. now she also starts to bite shoes, plastic bags, papers etc etc.

I plan to send her to class next Jan. but at the meantime, i had a tough time taming her as I work from 9-5 and my family members don't really bother her much.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 16, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1984 views)
Shortcut

I really admire your courage and concern for the stray. You could use a leash to hold her inside while the gate is open. The biting of shoes might be caused by boredom. Provide her with some chewing toys and store your shoes at another location until she learns to leave them alone. Try to bond with her when you return from work and try to include her into your daily life & activities. No need to tame a dog, just bond and slowly teach what is important to you. What is accepted and what is not.

kian_aun
Novice

Dec 16, 2005, 11:26 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Dog rushing out of open gate [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i think u r right. she may be bored alone at home. i gave her some chewing bones and toys, but she still prefer to bite the shoes, brooms etc etc. i also don't like to leash her cos she may not like it. anyway, i think it will take some time for her to feel at "home" then she will start to appreciate it more. cos she is just abt 4 days in my house. like u said, bond with her.. then she may know thats her home. but it may take some time for me to teach her cos i don't really have the time to do so. thanks for your advise.

mbless
K9 Kaki

Dec 17, 2005, 6:17 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1974 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kian aun... I believe Tintin is trainable. But you must be consistent and patient. Do you think you can half your garden with the collapsible playpen so she still have lots of space. (I think corner hse garden quite big). Dogs are very curious n giving her total freedom will lead to the unexpected and unpleasant accidents. I dont want yr family to b upset with her. During her time here I notice she is not interested in the rawhide bones but she likes Ash squeky rubber toys. She also like real bone...... the one you get from the butcher. That keeps her busy for the whole afternoon ( after her escape to destroy my neighbours plant). She also like the tug rope and flavoured chews.
Actually Tintin is a very confident dog n I can say she was not abused in any way so that makes it much easier to train. She can trust you quite easily.
Its good to hear that you enrol her for training next year. It makes a lot of different after training. But first take her for walk with leash on coz you need that during training She doesnt like it. She chew the leash so I spray the bitter stuff n she stop. But good thing is she loves the milk treats I gave her.... and thats why her toilet training is fantastic and I'm sure you agree. Please call me if you have any prob with her. She is one foster dog I will remember coz she gave me so many heart dropping moments..... hehehe you know wat I mean.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my