Getting a pup or not?

cdestiny
New User

Dec 15, 2005, 11:15 AM

Post #1 of 4 (795 views)
Shortcut
Getting a pup or not? Can't Post

I love dog since i was small, but my mom and family refused to let me own

1 because :" taking care 4 of u is already a headache to me" . that was, 10-12 years ago. I am already BIG enough to take care of myself right now. Lately i bought a pair of sugar glider....they are so cute and charm....... and this has encourage me to against my mom.......

I saw a pup which is for adoption, the dog is so cute, he is like the dog in <The Mask>. but it is a mongrel. According to the owner, the pup parents is pure breed(one of them) . I am thinking of getting it back to my hometown because i will be attending my training very soon, after this week in my hometown. My mom will help me to take care of it hopefully.........

I talked to her in phone just now, and told her about the adoption . She react very quickly: I DONT WANT~~~~~~ hmmmmm.....quite disappointing ......

I have a few question:

1. If i drive the dog from PJ to Alor Setar, the journey takes about 5-6hours. Will the pup pee and poo in my car?

2. Do the mongrel need to be taken to the vet for the deworm or anything?

3. i saw my grandma feed the mongral with rice and some cooked chicken only, do i need to feed it with pedigree?

4.The owner told me, the pup is likely to be medium size. So, is it possible for it to grow very big?

5. Should i have it inside my house or outside?

thanks for ur help. Ur reply is important for me to make decision. Quite rush, as i will be going back on Sunday. this sunday 18th Dec.

Mellissa
Novice

Dec 24, 2005, 8:30 PM

Post #2 of 4 (747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdestiny] Getting a pup or not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure about #1 though ..

#2 - Yes, all dogs should be given vaccinations and dewormed, whether their mongrels or purebreds.

#3 - A dog should be given a balanced diet. Dog food caters especially to dogs and it provides them with the nutrients they need. It doesn't matter what breed your dog is, mongrel or purebred. I personally would recommend you choose a trusted brand of dog food rather than rice + chicken daily. Maybe once a week or something as a treat, or you can mix it with dry food as well.

#4 - Wildcard when you adopt a puppy and you don't see the parents :)

#5 - Entirely up to you. I know most people who own long haired breeds like Malteses or Shih Tzus rather keep their dogs inside to avoid them getting dirty and getting their fur matted. Keeping a dog inside will require training and housebreaking though, especially for bigger breeds.
- peace love and joy -

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 28, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 4 (730 views)
Shortcut

HI..

Hope u enjoy having a new member at home. how is ur puppy getting on? i have a 4 month old cocker spaniel puppy too but when i went home this Christmas last weekend, i left him with my parents coz if he continue to stay with me, he willl spend most of this time in his cage. and since last nite i left him, i have been crying coz i miss him, terribly!Unsure
Frown Dogs... God's greatest gift Frown

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 29, 2005, 10:37 PM

Post #4 of 4 (712 views)
Shortcut

Hi,just your posting.

The question here is really the monetary aspect to owing a dog.

1. If you can afford it go get your puppy to the vet to get all it's jabs, saver for the pup and you plus the neighbourhood dogs.

2. Staying outside should be fine, wild dogs do so why not a domesticated one plus if it has long hair etc, then maybe you should keep it in doors to save you the trouble of cleaning it everyday.

3. Rice is fine as it is a very good fillers for dog keeble manufacturers. It would be great if you can feed it with chicken neck and beef, half cook, should do.

Most important is if you can practise this: if I cannot feed myself, I will not feed the dog and whatever I have to eat I would share it with the dog and you cannot go far wrong.

Oh, the trip, try and stop every hour or hour and a half just to let pee and poo and please pick up after and it will be fine. Try and put it in a box just big enough for it as the less movement it has the chances of it getting hurt is also less. Have fun and Happy New Year.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my