Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 7, 2005, 11:42 PM

Post #1 of 22 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner Can't Post

I have just bought a 3 month old american cocker spaniel and I have a long list of queries... can anyone help to clear my doubts?

1. Is it true that puppies purchased from petstores usually end up as nuisance pet?

2. Is it harmful for the puppy if I keep him at home alone (in cage) all day long when I am away at work?

3. My puppy is very active, just cant sit still for one second and loves to bite toes. Seems hard to train him. Will attending obedience training classes reallly help to discipline hyperactive puppies?

4. I plan to keep him indoor and he now sleeps & do all his business in his cage, although sometimes, he just pee & pooh outside when we are not wathching him. I am lost of what to do when one day, he lifts his legs up to pee... is there any way to stop that? will neutering the puppy helps?

Would really appreciate some valuable sharing. Thanks in advance.
Frown Dogs... God's greatest gift Frown

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 8, 2005, 12:39 AM

Post #2 of 22 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catchuah] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

You could find much information, a lot more then you did ask, when you would take your time to read thru the postings in the various forum topics.

To your question:
  1. nope, it is a higher risk of health problems and that we do not like to support puppy mills.
  2. yes that might be a problem; a dog is a social animal and needs contact to socialize/learn. Besides that, it is a boring life to be caged the whole day, isn’t it?
  3. good idea to attend training classes. You will learn something and so will your puppy. It is normal that a puppy is active and mischievous. You have to be firm and enforce your house rules. Check our postings to this topic.
  4. nope, neutering does not help. Training and lots of TLC is the trick.
Good luck.

(This post was edited by JoeSmith on Dec 8, 2005, 12:44 AM)

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #3 of 22 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ..

Thanks for your info.

Happie (my new cocker spaniel puppy) is very cute and I keep telling myself that he will get less active one day. But as for now, I am very concern about leaving him at home during daytime. I planned to let him run around the house soon as he grows little older and more obedient. Alternatively, I will need to let my parents take him home and keep it with them. I will get to see him less often. and I know for sure, I will miss him.

If we continue to keep him in cage, how is he goin to pee? quite lost about this...

Is it going to do him any harm being kept in cage all day?? Any other method because I really do want to keep him with me...

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2005, 6:43 PM

Post #4 of 22 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catchuah] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Abt the cage thing, most of the owner wil suggest u better lock it in the cage when u r not in the house n left it out when u come back.. n for the pee he can do it in his cage n oso outside of the cage..

juz like my foster pup.. when i working i wil lock it in the cage n he pee inside but he wont poo in there.. so every morning b4 i went to work i need to let him out n went to the place i assigned n let him do his business.. n same for after i went back from work, i wil again let him out n do his business n oso playing for sometime then juz lock him in again..

Try not to lock it too long in the cage.. it not good for the dog, same to our human oso.. :P if the dog is well behaviour i think u actually can let it free walk inside the room juz like my shih tzu.. i let it free walk inside my room.. but of course some work u need to do.. like those danger stuff u need to hide it o use something to block it eg electrical cabel..

Hope tis help.. Wink

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2005, 6:57 PM

Post #5 of 22 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ah_fang] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Helo there!

Thank u so much for ur sharing.

yes, i agree totally that it is not good to keep our precious in the cage for too long. but my working hours is quite long... usually leave home around 8am till about 7pm. so is that too long to keep him in there? poor thing lah...

i had other dogs before but never let them caged up coz they were all kept outdoors and allowed into the house only certain time of the day. this time is different coz i cant keep HAPPIE outside coz not safe, get stolen if kept outside.

as for now, i wake up earlier to play with him... then let him inside the cage again before i leave for work. let him out when i return. however, i feel very guilty doing so. any other method?

how do u train ur puppy? what is the most ideal age to start to teach him basic things? i have yet to toilet train him. try to put him back into the cage every hour so that he can pee and pooh inside. but occasionally, when we take our eyes fr him, he will just pooh outside! AAARRGH!

how about male pee-ing pattern? there will be one day he will lift up his leg and pee.. how? My house will flood!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 9, 2005, 2:49 AM

Post #6 of 22 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Hi, I have read most of your postings and first of all like to point out to you a cocker is a dog that goes into the bush to scare game out so they like to make a lot of noise, barking etc, a natural thing for the breed. So, you must now train it to bark at the right time and at the right thing. The dog as many and even you have mentioned should be running free and not cage up. Well, may I suggest you purchase six or eight pieces of those collapsable fence and build a small enclosure then put the cage (not really knowing the size of your cage) inside the enclosure. Do leave the door open so it will know that is a place to sleep, then on the outside line a certain section with newspaper to hopefully indicate "poo & pee" area, you are now all set. Training wise, you can start now, like eating inside the cage with a command "in". Let it have the free run of the house when you are at home, lock it up in the enclosure at night and during the day while away. Give it a few toys to play with and it should be fine. Just consider and see how it pans out.

As for the leg lifting it will do so later on. Please remember, a dog is a dog and treat it like a dog and you will realise the dog is more enjoyable. If you keep thinking it is something very special you will end up spoiling it, even in your eyes it is perfect but to others around may not think so hence, neighbours complain. I , too have a neighbour who dislike dogs but he never complains simply because my dogs can be controlled. Oh, my neighbour comes over all the time and the dogs just ignore him but when his wife pops round they rush to her. "Training your dog" is a very silly phrase as it is actually training you to train your dog so if you do go for training, your second dog need not be train by anyone but yourself so do go and enrol somewhere for this, money well spend. Do think of Obedience competition too it is fun and can form a partnership between you and your dog.

(This post was edited by PSY on Dec 9, 2005, 3:10 AM)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2005, 6:17 PM

Post #7 of 22 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Personally, I feel that the time would be to long. There are few options for you to keep the puppy with you instead of bringing your furkid to your parents. Sure, if they stay nearby then you could send him there and they would doggy-sit during the day. If this is not possible then you should consider to dedicate a room to the dog. Make the room dog-safe, dedicate a corner of the room as toilet area (use a pan instead of newspaper), put in some toys and the water bowl and he will be just fine. If you can’t dedicate a full room to him then you might consider to fence up a section of the room for him. Big enough for him to stretch a leg and he would be fine too. Start training before feeding him and he will be easier to train. Start training immediately, no dog is to young to learn. Remember, use the same word for the same action and never forget to praise him when he is doing it right. Stick to your rules and he will learn in a very short time. Good luck and most of all, have fun with your furkid.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2005, 6:41 PM

Post #8 of 22 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hi..

THanks... ur advice really make sense. Digesting every word now.. hope to come out with a solution coz i really cant bear to separate with him.

Thanks again.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #9 of 22 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Joe..

Yes... 8 hours is too long, even for human. that was why i am struggling. My parents wil be glad to have him but i cant bear to be apart from HAppie.

You gave a brilliant idea to keep him in a room. but do u mean to keep him in the room for good even till he is trained or only during the training period?

if i can settle this problem, the last concern is what to do when he start to lift his legs up to pee... i dont know what is goin to happen to my house ! S.O.S. Unsure

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 9, 2005, 7:24 PM

Post #10 of 22 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Hi again,

You are welcome, if you like give me a call at 019 231-1032, then you may get a clearer picture of what ideas I do have and probably would help you make decisions faster. Actually, Joe Smith's suggestion is very much better dedicating a room to the dog, you may not have much of a room left by the time you get home but your pup is certainly did have a whale of a time while you were away.

Good luck and have fun.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Dec 9, 2005, 9:52 PM

Post #11 of 22 (1170 views)
Shortcut

I thought that a room might be easily made doggie proof (electrical items, etc.) and that he will get in use to have a room to himself. YES, I would keep this regime for his whole life. This would keep the rest of the house clean and it is easier to control (doggie proof) then the whole house. It does not matter if he lifts his leg to pee or not. The problem is the pee all over the room. Train him proper and have a toilet pan for him. Once he is used to it, he will not pee at any other place. The risk of doing markings all over the room is low, unless you have another animal in the house. If you wish, then you could invent a marking spot for him and place a “mock hydrant” (an old stick or plastic container) onto the toilet pan.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 9, 2005, 9:56 PM

Post #12 of 22 (1169 views)
Shortcut

great idea! thanks...

now i am feeling more assured to keep Happie with me than to send him to my parents.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 10, 2005, 3:40 AM

Post #13 of 22 (1162 views)
Shortcut

referring to your question on pedigree certification, it should be ready when your pup is six to seven months old, maximum. The time actually take about 2 to 4 weeks once M.K.A. receive all the documentation from the breeder but then again no one can tell but the breeder. The 6 to 7 months period is determine by assuming everything is done on the last day. A freind of mine just got her pups pedigree cert and the pup was born in October 2005. Hope this is of some asistance.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 10, 2005, 6:06 AM

Post #14 of 22 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Impossible that ur friend can get the cert when the pup was born on October 2005. Are u sure???

It take about 2 1/2 month for MKA to process the cert once all documentation received from the breeder.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 10, 2005, 9:12 PM

Post #15 of 22 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to be an expert, maybe I stand corrected on the issue but you have neglected to realise October to December is about 2 months over and if all documentation is submitted promptly I really do not see why it can't be done, then again you say it is impossible so it must be.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 11, 2005, 6:09 AM

Post #16 of 22 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Yes you are right I am expert in this issue.Wink

When you say the pup born at October 2005 do you think the breeder have all the documentation ready to submit to MKA??? Do you know what documentation needed by MKA to process the cert???

If you do not know about the process of cert. please refer this link for more info. http://www.mka.org.my/faq.htm

If you still need to know more please feel free to ask.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Dec 11, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #17 of 22 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Help & Info Needed Urgently : New puppy owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for the offer and appreciate your input, however I just saw the cert. Thanks all the same.

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 13, 2005, 6:15 PM

Post #18 of 22 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Ok.. thanks for your info..

but wow... such long waiting period.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 14, 2005, 7:32 PM

Post #19 of 22 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Its not the same.

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2005, 3:48 AM

Post #20 of 22 (1074 views)
Shortcut

If the breeder follow the procedure correctly your pup is about 4 1/2 - 5 month old you will get the cert. Why I say 4 1/2 - 5 month old?

Because the most suitable time for pup to inside Microchip is about 8 week old to 9 week old (that is after their first Injection). Once the Microchip insided the vet will return the Sign form to the Breeder to summit to MKA to process the Cert. It take about 2 1/2 - 3 month to process the cert. By then your pup is about 4 1/2 to 5 month old lor.Wink

That why I say it is impossible for pup that was born at October 2005 can get a Cert at December 2005.Wink

catchuah
Dog Kichi

Dec 15, 2005, 5:06 PM

Post #21 of 22 (1062 views)
Shortcut

oooh... i see...Thanks...

my pup was born in Aug 2005.. so i guess, we will only get his cert around Feb 2006?

HAVE A NICE DAY!

chrisong
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2005, 4:20 AM

Post #22 of 22 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Should be around Dec 2005 or Jan 2006. If the breeder summited on time.Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my