Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu

mousechee

Dec 5, 2005, 5:16 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu Can't Post

Hello all,

Please give me some opinion as my mind is clouded with the choices I have right now.

I have been sending emails and calling breeders of shih tzu as I would like to have one. After shortlisting them, I have three options -

1)Male puppy. Sire is an imported Australian Ch. 3mos old. RM$1350. Puppy with breeder.

2)Male Puppy. Sire and dam are Malaysian ch. 4mos old. $1300. Puppy with petshop.

3)Female Puppy. Sire and dam come from American and Europe line. 7 weeks old. RM$1000. Puppy with breeder.

Would appreciate some feedbacks. Thank you.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 6, 2005, 4:47 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello sis mouse

Hmmm.... Well, choosing them is a bit hard if you just know that the dam and sire or one parent dog is a champ. You got to go and see the actually puppies first before deciding. The one in the petshop, no need to look lah coz I'm just afraid that when the pup has been in the petshop for some time, it might have gotten a virus infection or something... better be safe than sorry.

Go with the breeders. Then, view the parent dogs. If they say no viewing of parent dogs, then they are not real breeders but middle man people. If you can view 1 parent, make sure it is the dam. Viewing the parents of the puppies will give you a rough idea on how well they will grow up to become later, temprement wise and size wise. The most important thing is getting a good and reponsible breeder that can answer all your questions, have vaccinated the puppy and can tell you the do's and don'ts.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

yinyum
Novice

Dec 14, 2005, 6:12 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hi..everyone~~ehhe..i'm a new member here~~and i just bought a shih tzu todaY!! *exciTed* i bought it from a breeder and he was able to answer all my questions and tell me further information about how to take good care of my puppy. But i still cant bring it home yet~~becoz it's still 5 weeks old~~ the puppies is so cute..tri-colours and the marking is good too~~~~heheh...luckily i didnt bought the shih tzu which i saw in a pet shop yesterday..becoz of the pet shop warning,and made me dont really trust pet shops~~Crazy

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 15, 2005, 5:19 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yinyum] Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Congrats! Make sure post picture ah... sure all want to have a look at your puppy. Have you thought of a name? Great that you found a good breeder.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

yinyum
Novice

Dec 15, 2005, 9:25 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Opinion On Choosing A Puppy Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

hehee..actually i got the breeder's contact number from one of puppy.com.my members~~~~luckily that i had done some research b4 i have my own puppy..hehe~~~~Blush

erRr..i have some ideas with my puppy's name already~~~~such as lui lui ar..and..some english names~~~~but still dunno which one to choose,hhehe...

oH ya~~wat brand of dog food that ur doggie having now??becoz there are so many brands in the market and really headache about which brand to choose leh~~and the shampOo for puppies too..izzit all the shampoo are saMe aNd just depends on whiCh flavour we prefer? *heAdachE*

lookiNg forward for your repLy...Smile

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 16, 2005, 6:04 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Hello

Well, good that you did research first. You will sure never regret your early start heheheh....

Ahhh... the names, in time lah. You look at the face, then you say the name. Sure one name will suit the puppy. I even go to website to check for doggy names to give me more choices hehehe...

Brand of dogfood? Well, I prefer dogfood with no corn. Currently I'm feeding N u t r o lamb and rice. I used to feed Eukanuba lamb and rice, both brands are good lah to me but will poo a lot also. YOu look at the ingredients. Choose the dogfood that has no or less corn, have more meat proteins and is good if got oats inside. I also used before Evolve, which my old shih tzu likes.

yinyum
Novice

Dec 17, 2005, 9:16 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1422 views)
Shortcut

hehe~~thanks for your precious opinions ya...

i asked my fren who has experience too...he advised me to buy eukanuba or purina pro plan..better not to choose brands like p*d**re** and al** but so far i havent decide which brand to feed my puppy since i cant take my puppy home yet..heheh~~but i did went to pet shop and search about dog's shampoo, food, necessary accesories etc...*LOL* too eXcitEd already,cant wait to take my puppy home becoz i'm having my holidays now...so that can concentrate on my puppy...heheheh

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 20, 2005, 2:20 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm.... Purina produces alpo... to me lah, purina is a good brand too but if I were to choose between purina and eukanuba, I would take Eukanuba, it is better quality. Try the lamb and rice version. Is better for the skin.

Hehehe... of course lah excited, you're gonna have a new puppy to play with soon!

yinyum
Novice

Dec 28, 2005, 4:27 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1370 views)
Shortcut

heya~~ i had finally brought my puppy back to my house. Wink She is very active and healthy but she always bark when i put her into the cage and this concerns me. do u have any idea wat has happened to her? I informed the breeder to solve this problem but he told me that my dog's wan to get herselve out from the cage by barking. I know that it is possible but is there any other symptons that caused her to be noisy. Unsure

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Congrats

Well, what your breeder said is true. She wants to get out of the cage. She bark to get your attention. There is a trick, I got from a book. When you cage her, sit next to the cage, when she stops barking, give her a treat and let her out after being quite for 5 minutes, like reward her for being quite. Then increase the time to 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes, slowly lah... day by day. Then later you cage her but you don't sit next to her but go outside the room. Repeat the same rewardings and sure will get results.

yinyum
Novice

Dec 30, 2005, 7:40 AM

Post #11 of 12 (1341 views)
Shortcut

ohhh.....ahhaha~~thanks for your advise!!but..she is still a puppy..i cant give something which is hard for her to eat..she dunno to eat hard food/snacks yet...and~~talk about treats..can give her toys right~?give her new toys??if yes..that's mean i have to buy many toys to standby lor?LOL...i really dunno give what to her as treats....

and i realised that~i put her in cage..then i just leave my room...act like cant hear she barking,and she stopped after some time...but when i go in my room,she barked again~!!gosh...then i went out...then she stop~~but when i went in again~she barked again...Unsure

moreover,she likes to bite my fingers and toes...when i walking around..she chased me~then i tot maybe she wants to play with me..but she chased and wanna bite my toes...!!Crazy when i wanna comb her..she also wants to bite my fingers...haih~~really headache ar...

oh ya..do u have msn messenger??if yes then may i have ur email pls...really got a lot of questions wanna ask u...hehehe...if u dont mind...Sly

mousechee

Jan 6, 2006, 6:20 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1323 views)
Shortcut

hello mouse mei2,

thank you for your reply and useful pointers.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my