Injection for Ear Mite

coolio_2005
Dog Kichi

Nov 14, 2005, 5:04 AM

Post #1 of 6 (13879 views)
Shortcut
Injection for Ear Mite Can't Post

hi there...

last week when I sent my puppy(PUG), Coolio to the vet, the Dr claims that Coolio ears infected with ear mite eggs. So, the Dr gave me some ear treatment drops for Coolio. I've been using it for a week, everything seems to be better, no smelly smells from its ear. But yeasterday I send Coolio for check up, the Dr gave him an injection. I ask what is this for, Dr claims that this to anti ear mite staff. i also very blur, but after the injection, one day pass... I realise my Coolio doesn't look active anymore, he looks so weak. Whole body was warm, like getting fever. What's wrong with him? Is it a normal effect after the injection? Please kindly advise...

Thank you...

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2005, 5:15 AM

Post #2 of 6 (13869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coolio_2005] Injection for Ear Mite [In reply to] Can't Post

I did't know ear mite infection need injectionUnsure Sorry can't help youUnsure

coffee

Nov 15, 2005, 11:30 PM

Post #3 of 6 (13866 views)
Shortcut

There are many methods of treatment for ear mites.

1. Injection. Some vet will give your dog injection at 1 week interval for 3-4 inj. This is because the medicine only work on the adult ear mites. Larvae and eggs are resistant. Some one week later when the larval molt in to adult, there comes another injection and the cycle continues.

2. Ear drop. Sometimes the vet will give you a ear drops and ask you to drop in the ear 2 times a days.

3. Ear medicine. This is a bit more expensive. Put in the ear once only and revisit in 7-10 days times. Mostly one treatment will do but some require repeat dosing. Very effective and safe but expensive.

Basically all treatment require your dog/cat to revisit. Either to check or repeat dosing. Your vet might feel the medicine given earlier not effective enough, that's why another injection wass given. Talk to the vet. You have the right to know all the alternatives and the pros and cons.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 4, 2005, 10:53 PM

Post #4 of 6 (13822 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

If I am not mistaken,the vet injected ivermectin which is a drug against mites. Works great for mange as well.

One of the side effects of ivermectin is lethargy. It's a strong drug & really works the liver.

I can't recall if fever is one of the side effects at the top of my head but u can google "ivermectin" or "ivomec"(brand name) & check it out further.

Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

kmingy
Novice

Oct 17, 2006, 1:19 AM

Post #5 of 6 (13517 views)
Shortcut

is this ear mites thing a long term prob? i'm currently taking care of my fren's dog (fifi) now who has ear mites. brot it to the vet this morn but yesterday my dog (coco) n fifi already mingled n played together. i don't mind if coco catches it just for once coz i think it's easily treatable. i'm just afraid that it'll be a long term problem where the mites will linger around in my house and attack her again n again. anyone has any knowledge on this? it's really worrying!

shchiam1978
Novice

Aug 23, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #6 of 6 (11068 views)
Shortcut

My Hugo got the Jab previously. now i clean his ears everyday. Kind of used to clean his ears hahah.
No more ear mites.
Hugo is lovely and naughty

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my