Home: Breed Specific: Utility Group:
Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 12, 2005, 5:42 AM

Post #1 of 9 (4901 views)
Shortcut
Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer Can't Post

I've got a Miniature Schnauzer that's going to be two months old soon, and I'm told it's about time to start getting her used to hand-stripping if that's the way I want to go.

Can anyone out there show me how to do it? I'd very much appreciate any advice, tips, hands-on stuff.

I have no intention at the present of showing the dog in the future. It's just that from what I've read, hand-stripping is better for the coat in the long run and is going to be easier on me as well because a hand-stripped coat would be easier to maintain.

I can be contacted by at my hotmail account, username looist.
Cheers,
Pangur Bán

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Nov 14, 2005, 10:34 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi. I can teach you how to hand strip your dog. I am not a schnauzer hair style expert (though I do have a miniature schnauzer) but I can show you the technique and the tools involved. I have a west highland white terrier - which is why I know about hand stripping. I hand strip my schnauzer but apart from that she is largely ungroomed.

Yes, hand stripping is much better for the coat in the long run. It makes it hard and water and dirt repellant, amongst other benefits to you and the dog.

You can contact me at aquabotanica which is a hot mail address. Admin automatically removes email addresses in postings which is why I have given you my email address in such a peculiar way. Should my email address have been deleted, you can find my contact details in my post in "Terriers" about hand stripping westies.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

(This post was edited by Gus-Gus on Nov 14, 2005, 10:37 AM)

sweekay
Novice

Dec 5, 2005, 11:26 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I am S. K Wong here I Know That U Have The Technic Of Hand Stripping, I also Very interesting on this i have 2 Miniature Schnauzer with me, and i have cliping them for 3 year aleadry if now i want to starat ti do the hand stripping will it be to late?

TQ

From

S.K.Wong

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 6, 2005, 5:15 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweekay] Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your interest in handstripping. It's never too late to hand strip your schnauzer. I would suggest that you contact me via my email address in around 2 months time to discuss hand stripping in detail.

However, in the meantime, let their hair grow out - no clipping - just brushing to keep it neat and tidy - to make it easier to hand strip when the time comes. Also, do not bathe unless they get really dirty - just brush everyday. Your schnauzers' coats need to "recover" from being clipped and this is the way to go about it. You may feel that they "smell" but that is part of the recovery process.

You may be interested in an article on handstripping http://members.aol.com/msbritmor/hndstrip.html

Please do not attempt to handstrip your schnauzers until you have let their coats grow out for around 2months otherwise it will be counter productive.

If you have any queries for now, you can contact me at aquabotanica at hot mail .

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

sweekay
Novice

Dec 7, 2005, 8:01 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4819 views)
Shortcut

TQ For Sharing Info.

but I Still Have Some Question,

1 . i Do Have A Stripping Knife but i don' know how to use ( but i just have i one stripping knife i can see thw website having many, is it important to have them? and i do not know how to diferentiate the knife)

2. it said the hair should be left for 2 months b 4 stripping ,, but can you estimate the lenght of the hair for stripping

3. well where is your location ? i would like to see someone strip their dog for myself..maybe i could learn where have i miss out / is there some thing wrong with my technique?

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2005, 11:02 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4817 views)
Shortcut

There are a few sizes of knives. They all do the same job - the difference is that the bigger blades are for stripping larger areas of hair and the finer blades are for finishing. None of which particularly matters if you are not showing your dog since all you want to do is to maintain your dog's coat and not prepare it for the show ring.

It's not so much about the length of the hair but more about whether the hair is ready to be stipped. Unlike clipping where the clippers are run over the dog's coat to shave the hair to a uniform length, the purpose of hand stripping is to remove the dead hairs so that new hair can grow out from the hair follicle. If the hair is not ready to be removed, it won't come out and pulling at it will be uncomfortable for the dog. Hand stripping will not produce a coat that is as short as clipping but will produce a longer but hard and wiry coat which is water and dirt repellant.

The reason that I have asked you not to touch the hair for 2 months except for brushing is so that the hair can grow so that it will be possible for me to see what is ready to be removed and what is not. It may take even longer than 2 months for the hair to grow out and be ready for hand stripping. Washing the hair only makes it soft and even harder to strip which is why I said not to bathe the dog.

I am in PJ. I won't be stripping any of my dogs for a while but I will let you know when I do it.

sweekay
Novice

Dec 7, 2005, 8:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Hand Stripping the Miniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, there have you start to do the stripping ? and do u have any idea how to do it.

sweekay
Novice

Dec 7, 2005, 9:07 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Thank for your help, Are U A Groommer? i also in PJ, i have no idea at all how to start stripping my dog if possible i can bring over my dog to let u show me how to start, i will paid u the gromming fee.(but it will be 2 month later because i have just clipper my dog),if not when u trip your dog just let me know, i will go over to your place to have a look on that.

TQ

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2005, 9:29 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4811 views)
Shortcut

I'm not a groomer. I learnt how to hand strip because I had a West Highland White Terrier who needed to be hand stripped.

There is no need to pay me any fees - I'm not a groomer and I'll only be showing you how to hand strip your dog - I don't know anything about how to shape Schnauzers and "finish" their coats. I only know how to shape West Highland White Terriers because that is the reason why I learned about hand stripping in the first place.

In fact, I'm going to send my own Schnauzer off to a professional groomer to have her grooming finished - her face, her ears and beard - which I have no idea how to shape. She's my first Schnauzer and only 7 months old. I've been doing her back and shoulders and left her head alone totally so she looks rather odd - poor thing!

The key thing for you now is to be patient and let your dogs' coats grow out.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my