Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Socializing, playtime, tricks and things....:
=(

janiceC

Nov 2, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 15 (4203 views)
Shortcut
=( Can't Post

hi,i need ur help here.

my shih tzu is 7months now..and she already knew sit n hand when she was 4 or 5 months..n recently i've bought a dog training book n wish to train her some other basic command like down,etc..since i'm so free now after all the exam..

but the problem is she already get used to SIT n HAND..n whenever we have a food in our hand,she will come to us n sit in front of us n give us her paw automatically(without giving the command)n so i duno how to teach her other tricks..can anyone lend a helping hand?Blush
www.dogster.com/?210313

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2005, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janiceC] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

janiceC

halo gal! well my dog oso automatic robotic style, hehe.. but for us case, ur dog only learned sit & hand mar, sure always show u hand automatically loh, so she can get the treat faster wat hehe.. moreover dogs like u to praise her, so she feel she is very smart to know wat u want, so fast fast show u loh..

I think the next step u should teach her down. suppose ur dog training book got teach right? But in case u dont understand. Use a treat, place in front of the dog's nose, lure her down towards the floor. If there is another person who help u, then it will be better. While u luring ur treats down towards the floor, another person can help the dog to move to DOWN position.

well it is difficult to tell u everything here, do keep us updated with the process yah! Wink

Regards,

Yang

janiceC

Nov 2, 2005, 7:52 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

halo..yeah la..i followed the instruction from the book..i couldnt lure her down leh..i put the treat in front of her nose n lure her down..but she barks at me lehFrowncuz didnt give the treat to herBlush

actually will it be too late to train a dog at the age of 7months?Crazy
www.dogster.com/?210313

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2005, 10:11 PM

Post #4 of 15 (4192 views)
Shortcut

Command "Down" to ur dog. If he/she did't act from the first command quickly pull the leash down from the dog neck position and at the same time put both the front leg down. When he/she is in down position wait for few second and then only praise him/her by given a small piece of treat. Repeat this by extending the down time.

Never train ur dog with different command at a same time. Train 1 command at a time till he/she know what is down then only go for other training.

Hope this help.

janiceC

Nov 3, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #5 of 15 (4187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

i oso ady did that..but she was like so mad n jump up n down n i pull both her front legs down..n she will bark at me b/c she wants the treatCrazy

sumtime when she's lying on the floor,can i say down n praise her??Blush

or how ler??
www.dogster.com/?210313

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2005, 3:42 AM

Post #6 of 15 (4186 views)
Shortcut

You need to force him/her to down position untill he/she calm down then you can praise him/her.Unsure Praise him/her only when you give him/her the command down position.

janiceC

Nov 3, 2005, 6:31 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm..thankz for that..i'll try it later..Wink
www.dogster.com/?210313

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 3, 2005, 8:00 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4177 views)
Shortcut

janiceC

at 1st when i train my dogs oso like that 1, all u need is patience & consistency, day by days ur dog definitely will understand more & improve.

Regards,

Yang

janiceC

Nov 4, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

www.dogster.com/?210313

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2005, 1:30 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4157 views)
Shortcut

Wink Hi Janice,

Tricks dun hv 2 b performed in a stationary position only. Cn try tricky moves as well eg. spinning round, weaving thru legs, heelwork 2 music, which means u hv 2 get up n move about with ur dog. Get excited n use d treat 2 lure n lead her 2 step in between ur feet or around or 2 d side. Wld b great if u cn get her 2 step sideways n backwards as well in tandem with u.

Ur dog’ll naturally assume a sitting position in front of u most of d time, so nothing wrong with dat. Mayb u cn try switching 2 toys instead 2 wean her off the auto ‘hand shake’. Play enthusiastically with d toy n mix in some tricks training in between. If there’s play involved, den dey r more willing 2 learn n perform.

Try n choose moves dat will come naturally 2 ur dog. If she likes 2 sit n shake take it another step further eg. really high ‘high 5’, sit up on 2, beg with 2 fore legs in d air, shake with d other paw, cover eye with paw.

Good luck n remember 2 hv fun .

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

janiceC

Nov 10, 2005, 3:34 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

hi!thankz for da reply!!QQ managed to learn the DOWN in 3 days..so happy bout it..now i'm thinking of other tricks to teach her..like PLAY DEAD or other tricks tat u have mentioned..well..one question,currently she only knows sit,hand,down,wat next tricks that i supposed to teach her?n can u tell me the instruction too?Blush

chrisong,

thankz for the advice n it really worksWink

leecy,

yayayayaCool

n another problem i encounter is,

my dog sometimes will chase after her tail ..n meanwhile she wil bark in a high-pitched...n then she will lick her u-noe-watBlushanyone of u encounter this b4??anyone noe the raeson n solution?need helpCrazy
www.dogster.com/?210313

janthk
Canine Addict

Nov 11, 2005, 2:08 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janice,

This page might be of help to you if you are not sure what next to teach your dog. Some of the tricks also has video files attached which will help you if you are unsure of how to teach your dog.

http://www.loveyourdog.com/tricks.html

Have fun!

janiceC

Nov 11, 2005, 6:43 AM

Post #13 of 15 (4135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there

yea..the tips given are useful..but i need to download the quicktime now la..*sigh*..thankz ya
www.dogster.com/?210313

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2005, 11:08 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Can also refer 2 d following threads in dis column ie. ‘Groovy tricks’, ‘Tricks with Roxy’ 4 examples 2 teach ur dog. Most of d tricks r easier 2 show, rather den explain. But if u wanna know bout a specific trick, just shout. If v know it, v’ll share it. Wink

Play dead - can refer 2 janthk coz her dog cn perform a pretty good ‘dead’. My JRT cant stay still, so play dead is out of d window.

Chasing after own tail n licking r quite common. Mayb she’s just attracted by moving objects, in dis case her tail. Try 2 divert her energy in2 chasing sumthing else eg. ball, frisbee.

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

janiceC

Nov 15, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #15 of 15 (4096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] =( [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,okay,will check it out

can i know who's janthk?Crazy
www.dogster.com/?210313

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my