Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Toilet traning a 8 month old

bettawalk

Oct 31, 2005, 4:43 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Toilet traning a 8 month old Can't Post

Hi guys,
Few of you might have notice i just adopted a 8 month old min pin called Cookie. She might be all that great till a certain level LOL.
Shes not toilet trained. She does bully Cole my older min pin as she is bigger in size and streangth than Cole and i doubth Cole would dare teach her to do it properly.

So... i though... how would i start traning a 8 month old? Well.... finally i came to a end where i shall start what i did to Cole while he was a puppy .... to do it again on Cookie..

I placed newspaper all over the floor, so that Cookie would do her wee wee and poo poo ON the paper no matter what. Than i plan to remove the newspaper bit by bit daily.

Anyone here has any better sujestions ?Frown

.:: King Of Toys , The Miniature Pincher ::.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2005, 7:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bettawalk] Toilet traning a 8 month old [In reply to] Can't Post

bettawalk

actually u r doing the right step. but if u wish to fasten the process u have to spend time wo~ since 8 months old pup will be harder to train.. Smile

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 31, 2005, 7:56 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bettawalk] Toilet traning a 8 month old [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if you have a crate for your new family member then use the crate as a training tool. He will not mess up his crate; hence, he will control when inside.

Take him out after each meal (within half hour) to give him a chance to eliminate his bowl and bladder. With 8 months of age, he should be able to control between the meals. Don’t forget to take him out (his toilet area) first thing in the morning and last before retiring at night.

During the day watch him like a hawk (if you have time to do so, otherwise crate him) and the moment he starts to circle you say loudly NO and carry him to the toilet area. Praise him as like as you have won the lottery when he is doing it there. He should get the idea and being housebroken within a week. Make sure that you use the enzyme cleaner to remove any trace of smell from all the accidental pee & poop areas. Good Luck.

tengteng
Novice

Nov 7, 2005, 4:18 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Toilet traning a 8 month old [In reply to] Can't Post

Would "wait" be a better command?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Nov 9, 2005, 5:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tengteng] Toilet traning a 8 month old [In reply to] Can't Post

NO means that you disagree with his activity and that he has to stop it immediately. You can train it certainly in any other way too. I try to stay as simple as possible and NO is used for everything I don't like.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my