Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Utility Group:
Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley?

Jamie1503
Novice

Oct 29, 2005, 6:21 PM

Post #1 of 24 (4384 views)
Shortcut
Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? Can't Post

Hello to all Shih Tzu owners

Just wonder if you know of any reliable and experienced vet that can treat skin problem on Shih Tzu? My 5 months old Shih Tzu, Wesley, has developed rashes on his body for more than a month now. It causes itchness and he is constantly scratching.

I have brought him to a vet treatment but no injection or medication helps. I am thinking of visiting another vet for second opinion. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

If your Shih Tzu also has the same problem and you know of a way to treat the rashes, please share the experience with me.

Helpless mom. :(

If a dog were the teacher you would learn stuff like
- Be loyal. Never pretend to be something / someone you're not.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2005, 7:15 PM

Post #2 of 24 (4381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamie1503] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jamie

So what the previous vet told u? If it is a mange then you might 1 2 bring ur dog to anotehr vet for a jab, then most likely will cure. But if it is fungus, it is very dependent on the dog's immune system & environment. Where do u keep ur dog & where he/she hang out most of the time? Smile

Regards,

Yang

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 7:42 AM

Post #3 of 24 (4367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamie1503] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the vet do any skin scrappin? Did he test your shih tzu's skin? What are you feeding your pup? Which are are you staying, I maybe can recommad you a vet near your place.

Skin disorders can vary. Some are caused by beef, corn or soya products, food allergies. Some are caused by living environment, some are by shampoo. Immune system can cause skin disorders as well. Some dogs develop hot spots. Does Wesley have dandruff? If got dandruff, maybe it is just a case of mild mange. There are a few types of mange, one is by a mite and contagious, another is also by a mite and not contagious while another is by low immune system that triggers the skin to itch. To overcome itchiness, do find sulphur shampoo, it really heals and helps. If dry skin, do use oatmeal shampoo.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2005, 7:45 AM

Post #4 of 24 (4366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

hun

wah, u really read a lot abt diseases wo... Smile

Regards,

Yang

Jamie1503
Novice

Nov 2, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #5 of 24 (4347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi to all of you

Thanks for your valuable information. The vet did not do any scrapping of his skin for testing...he only listen to me describing the sympton and then gave him a jab and some medication and no cure. He also recommended a shampoo called Tricep for antidandruff and antifungul. I bath Wesley a couple of times but it doesn't seem to help too.

So, I brought Wesley to another vet over the weekend. The vet also gave him a jab and medication. The same thing, he said the itch could cause by many reasons.

From the sound of it, Wesley may have developed mange (ya! crazymouse_yyh, you really know alot about Shih Tzu Angelic). He started with a spot that looks like dandruff but that has already subside. Now, he is scratching other spots but there is no dandruff. As for living environment, we stayed in an apartment and i seldom bring him outdoor (only once). I clean his towel and toys every 2 weeks and put his bed under the sun every 2 months. I consider my house quite clean. I also suspect it is caused by food allergy. The second vet did say he may be eating too much of chicken protein food, and i realised one of the ingredient in wesley's vitamin is made of corn syrup. I am cutting down on the chicken protein and mixing it with some lamb now. For vitamin i have cut down the dosage (maybe i should stop totally huh?)

I stayed around Petaling Jaya area. Any recommendations?

Again, appreciate your sharing...please keep it coming.

p/s: I tried to attach a photo of wesley to show you all but the file size is too big. He is a cute little fella.

Still worry, Jamie

Jamie1503
Novice

Nov 2, 2005, 6:46 PM

Post #6 of 24 (4344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leecy, thanks for your input. Wesley has already taken 2 jabs (and still scratching today Unsure) . How long do you reckon the itch will go away? He seldom go outdoor except we took him on car ride and my mom's place. Only once to a park. Still trying to figure out the problem but i am getting to think that it is not fungul. maybe Mange or food allergy.

Btw, you got a cute puppy there. What is his/her name? Nice hairdo too. Wink You did it yourself or you brought your puppy for grooming?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2005, 12:24 AM

Post #7 of 24 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jamie,

By what you have just said, I guess it really is just a mild mange cuased by low immune system. Just curious, what colour is the shampoo? Normally antifungal shampoos are yellow. Mange takes about 2 weeks to dry up. I used to have a shih tzu and have taken care of a few dogs that had mange.

A tip, if you think it's a fungal infection, do wash Wesley's toys, towels and any of his belongings with a mild clorox solution. My vet gave me this tip, saying that bleach kills bacteria and fungal spores. If you stay in apartment, then it is better for him to heal faster coz less contact with outside dogs and the outdoors. Continue the medication and baths.

Food is kibbles? Well, do change it to lamb, really helps. Even better, if you cook the fresh lamb for Wesley, healing would be faster coz cooked bland food is mild to the digestive system and contains less preservatives that are found in dogfood. Chicken and beef can cause food allergies, some dogs are allergic to these proteins and can only tolerate lamb or fish.

I dunno much bout corn syrup but it should be ok coz it is a sweet substance like maple syrup or honey that is used in most human foods but too much is bad for health.

Have you tried Subang area's vets? Mayo Clinic, SJ Animal Medical Clinic, Healing Rooms... they are good vets.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2005, 12:41 AM

Post #8 of 24 (4334 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jamie,

I agree that Mayo USJ Taipan is a good clinic. But if u prefer PJ maybe you can try this one Yeoh Vet Clinic & surgery at taman megah. Their shop is facing the ldp highway. U give it a try. My shih tzu goes there. Previously i'm also at Mayo but i moved to PJ so i switched to this one.

I can't give much opinion in the scratching but my shih tzu is ok coz she's indoor also. I wash her twice a week and i mop my house with normal bleach just to get rid of any bacteria. My shih tzu is on lamb and rice. Maybe you can try. Coz i heard lamb and rice is good for sensitive skin.

(This post was edited by fuikiaw on Nov 3, 2005, 12:42 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2005, 12:49 AM

Post #9 of 24 (4329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Dr Yeoh. He is a good vet. He knows how to treat reptiles too. Thanks for recommanding to Jamie, it slipped my mind. Mayo Clinic, they have treated 2 puppies under my care with mange last time and they healed very fast.

Lamb and rice is good, my puppy is on Eukanuba's lamb and rice and she eats BARF too. She loves raw lamb. Switching to lab is also good coz the skin will have less body odour, thus less ticks.

Jamie1503
Novice

Nov 7, 2005, 9:11 PM

Post #10 of 24 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much for all your tips. I have never thought of washing the toys and towels with Colrox, thought it may be too strong for the puppy....it's time that i try it out. I actually brought Wesley to Dr. Yeoh's clinic for second opinion but he was treated by a young vet, not Dr. Yeoh (the senior and experience) himself. So far Wesley is still on medication (and scratching too) but i noticed it is not as bad as 2 weeks ago. The color of his Shampoo is a little orange and redish in color. He seems better usually after the bath but the next day he will start scratching again.

I am also slowly switching his food and have stopped the vitamin for time being. Will consider the brand you guys have recommended. I feed Wesley with Science Diet and another brand call Califonia something. The second one is suppose to stop the itch but not very effective. Hope i can share some good news with you all soon.

Will email Wesley photos to you guys! Do send me your email address, mine is wisejc@hotmail.com

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Jamie

(This post was edited by Jamie1503 on Nov 7, 2005, 9:24 PM)

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #11 of 24 (4292 views)
Shortcut

It takes nothing for me to introduce a good vet to anyone. As long as our furkid can live healthy and happy why not introduce a good vet to those in need?

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2005, 9:28 PM

Post #12 of 24 (4291 views)
Shortcut

Well if you're afraid that clorox might be too strong, maybe you can try to add a little bit and let it dilute in water. After a couple of try and error then you can know how much quantity you should add to clean up their toys.

Oh ya....at Dr Yeoh's clinic there's a lot of vets there. Maybe you can request for Dr Yeoh's attention since your furkid has gone for several clinics and doesn't recover. I think Dr Yeoh will be happy to see your furkid.

I'm not sure whether Science Diet is suitable for your furkid or not. But i myself feed my furkid with Choice Lamb and Rice. Maybe you can give it a try.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #13 of 24 (4278 views)
Shortcut

Dilute the clorox with water.... your house later will smell like bleach but that smell will let you know that your house is now clean from old germs heheheh...

Do request for Dr Yeoh, I didn't bring my dog to see him but I brought my tortoise for him to treat. Maybe call and ask for him and make an appointment.

Normally after a bath they will feel better. I think Wesley will heal soon.

As for food, I feed Eukanuba.... I'm gonna mix Nutro into it... both are lamb and rice, perfect for the skin.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2005, 12:09 AM

Post #14 of 24 (4270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fuikiaw] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you stay around that area? I rarely go to Dr Yeoh coz I stay at Setapak... so his clinic sort of slipped my mind...

Jamie1503
Novice

Nov 8, 2005, 12:22 AM

Post #15 of 24 (4265 views)
Shortcut

My email account is under hotmail....not sure why it is not showing under my email address...have tried to edit it twice.

Senior vets are usually more reliable and experienced. I will take your advice and request for Dr. Teoh the next round. The young vet who tried to give Wesley an injection can't even hold the needle correctly. Unsure

More questions (if you know) - Do you know if dogs need to be quarantine if we bring them to Singapore by car? Am thinking of bringing Wesley to Singapore for X'mas. Laugh

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2005, 12:44 AM

Post #16 of 24 (4260 views)
Shortcut

The forum doesn't allow email addresses to be posted here... so sometimes you need to put it differently... for me... I will put crazymouse dott yoong att gmael dott comm

Ah.. that young vet must be new. Yah, normally those senior vets are the best.

Wah.. bring to Singapore... well, I'm not sure.... got a few members here did bring their dogs to Singapore by hiding them under car seats or something.... I don't think customs will allow loh...

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 8, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #17 of 24 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Jamie

well if the mange is not too serious, the itchiness should be disappear by the 2nd jab. the 1st jab is to kill the adult mange while the 2nd is to kill the hatched eggs since the jab cant kill the eggs. so how is ur dog now? Unsure

Regards,

Yang

Basti
Dog Kichi

Nov 8, 2005, 3:08 AM

Post #18 of 24 (4252 views)
Shortcut

Hi

I have a shih tzu as well.Emmalie had exactly the same problem.Scratching to the point the skins are all red and bleeding.I brought her to many vets but cannot be cured.

I later found out that Emmalie is allergied to flea bites.Maybe you should try and search his body to see if he has any fleas.Now,I use camomile tea to rinse her body after every bath and spray tea tree oil diluted in water twice a week.She hasn't been scratching much ever since.

I hope your dog will be better.

(This post was edited by Basti on Nov 8, 2005, 3:12 AM)

mousechee

Nov 8, 2005, 8:42 AM

Post #19 of 24 (4243 views)
Shortcut

Hello Jamie,
Try these formulas. My kids had hands, foot and mouth disease a few months back. I had a "fun" time disinfecting toys and our home.
For floor- 1/4 cup of bleach with 3.8L of tap water.
For doggie's toys, blankie and food bowls -1 Tbsp bleach with 3.8L tap water.

Basti
Dog Kichi

Nov 8, 2005, 4:06 PM

Post #20 of 24 (4240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

HI,

Do you mind telling me how you know your dogs have hands,foot and mouth disease?What are the symptoms?

Thanks

mousechee

Nov 9, 2005, 7:04 AM

Post #21 of 24 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Basti] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

ooops, sorry for making you confused.Sly

my human kids had hands, foot and mouth. not my furkid.

fuikiaw
Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2005, 9:12 PM

Post #22 of 24 (4215 views)
Shortcut

Ya i'm staying around that area. That's why i usually go there loh.

Jamie1503
Novice

Nov 12, 2005, 1:52 AM

Post #23 of 24 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Any Reliable Vet for Shih Tzu in Klang Valley? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can slowly see some improvement. Wesley is scratching less this week. Thanks for all your tips. This weekend i will also mop the floor with some clorox with the formula given. Smile He doesn't have flea but no harm washing him with some camomile tea too (heee....so kiasu for me). Prevention is the always the best policy.

My email address is wisejc@ hot mail . If you would like to see some photos of Wesley, do send me your email address.

A little about grooming of Shih Tzu - i bring wesley to the pet shop in Sec 14, PJ for grooming once a month. It is on the same row as McDonald except the petshop at the other end. Lots of Shih Tzu go there for grooming esp. on weekend and the service is quiet good. I like the environment too. There is a window that you can watch the grooming and sometimes owners hang around to chat. You can see people's face lighting up when they see a cute dog walking in.

Do you all know if there are any nice and big parks that allow pets around the klang valley area?

chaiwoon

Feb 8, 2006, 1:31 AM

Post #24 of 24 (4121 views)
Shortcut

FrownJamie...

My Shih Tzu also having that problem... I bought him to see several vet.. none of them did skin scrapping for him... one gave injection straight away after listenning to my description....

finally, i sent him to see vet at sri sinar, kepong... this time the vet did scrapping.. finally, the vet told me he got food allergy (chicken) and helps me to slowly change his food by giving me food sample to try.. now he rarely scratch himself.. if ur furkid is still having that problem, u may try to go to the clinic.. the vet is very kind and helpfull... Frown
www.dogster.com/?378834

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my