Getting a puppy

tengteng
Novice

Oct 28, 2005, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Getting a puppy Can't Post

Dear forum members,

I have been thinking for some time now to get a puppy. I was considering either a Yorkie or Maltese. As for the grooming, I don't mind brushing everyday but will send the dog for a grooming session every now and then. I also have some budgies as pets and I usually let them fly around the room for exercise. Would a Yorkie or Maltese be a better choice? Will the terrier blood in a Yorkie give it more tendency to chase my birds? I know dogs can be trained from puppies to not prey on birds. Does anyone knows how to train the dog for this matter?

Would appreciate any advice.

P/S:Does anyone know the dog trekking area in Bukit Gasing? If so, please send me one. And I would love to visit puppies & dogs (no big breeds as I have phobia of big dogs) if there are members in the forum in need of a visit.

Thank you.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2005, 6:08 AM

Post #2 of 11 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tengteng] Getting a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

tengteng

My dad's maltese juz gave birth to some pups, but I asked my bro then he said not sure my dad plan to sell or keep yet. Anyway, I do own 2 maltese, if u wish to know how maltese is, or try the "feelings" of maltese, I dont mind let u see them, but of corse they are not for sale lah, I trained them so hard, haha..

please feel free to add me at msn if u have 1: the _ little _ monk (no space) (at) hot mail

if u cant see me on9, do leave me a msg by sending me email, will reply u asap. Wink

Regards,

Yang

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 5:33 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1255 views)
Shortcut

A terrier, if not introduced to another pet properly when young will chase other animals, expecially rodents(rabbits, guinea pigs, mice... etc) If you give the right training, ample amount of play and introduce the pup to the other animal, it will be fine. My boxers chase cats and rabbits so I do not let them get close to each other. I keep my rabbits and cats indoors. My cat is naturally ok with my birds and rabbits coz I introduced him to them when young.

Now my pup is friskie with my rabbits but she is learning to respect them.

A maltese would require more grooming and care than a yorkie because maltese have ever growing fur and needs triming and it is white so you will need to maintain the whiteness. Why not a silky terrier? I have been around silkies and find them very lively to have, gentle and active and the grooming I think should be easier than a yorkie. At the end of the day, the breed of choice is up to you. Do more reading if you can to understand terrier and maltese. Generally, I like both breeds, they are nice to have and are gentle.

Bukit Gasing, I think you can find a map under the Jungle trekking thread. I have gone a few times, wonderful trek that will make you break into a sweat but it's not hard on the lungs, I normally can't last coz I got breathing difficulties but this trek is easy and fun especially with the dogs around. I might be going again in 2 weeks time. It's on Saturday mornings, starts at 7.30am and the trek can last about an hour. I go there without my dogs but there are plenty of friendly dogs there.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

tengteng
Novice

Oct 31, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Getting a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Are Yorkies and Silkies different in terms of fur and grooming?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 9:00 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Yorkies are smaller than Silkies. Grooming is also the same bu I think yorkie will have longer fur and needs conditioning and oiling. They require more brushing. Silkies, I like the attitude of the dog, very active yet not yappy and the features I like more than a yorkie. Anyway, like I said lah.... the choice of breed is up to you. Yorkies will require more trimmings of the fur to look neat and kept.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

deronwoo
K9 Maniac

Oct 31, 2005, 9:32 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1245 views)
Shortcut

l think silky is easy to take care as their fur is not that much compare to yorkie, n silky is really very loveable, but not as pretty as yorkie cos of the length of the hair, show u some pic of my silky

how u like my Million, really the fur is much more easier to manage than a yorkie, for silky is shed very, very little n not much body odour, but the choice is still yrsSlyWink

me-n-my-million-dollar.blogspot.com

tengteng
Novice

Oct 31, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [deronwoo] Getting a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Silky is really really cute Actually I say want Yorkie because I have a feriend who has Yorkie. Very cute! Actually all dogs are cute Laugh

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 6:05 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1230 views)
Shortcut

Ohhh... then if you like yorkie then go get it hehehe... We are here to any give you some suggestions.

deronwoo
K9 Maniac

Oct 31, 2005, 11:19 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1226 views)
Shortcut

yap Wink, only sugestion, yorkie is pretty n cute, go for it, like u said all doggie are cute, especially if u give them enough love they will return u wit a million happinest,

me-n-my-million-dollar.blogspot.com

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Nov 1, 2005, 3:34 AM

Post #10 of 11 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Well first of all yorkie is a very small dog and when they are puppy is not easy to take care as they are quite vulnerable. Maltese is a little better than yorkie in the sense they are tougher. Anyway both are toy dogs so generally is not easy to keep them when they are young. As you are asking about terrier if they will prey on other pets. Generally all dogs will prey on some other pets. If you have your puppy brought up with the birds together in the house should not be any problem. Who knows they can be good friend. Anyway first timer for keeping dog I will recommend a silky or miniature schnauzer. They are tougher and easier to take care. Both are also terrier.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

tengteng
Novice

Nov 7, 2005, 4:48 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitconnie78] Getting a puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advices. No, I am not a first timer but my previous dogs most are Spitzs and they don't need a lot of trimming and one Shih-Tzu. Usually I just get a grooming session for my Shih-Tzu and usually I keep him at puppy cut. I do think alot of Maltese and Yorkies and now I am falling in love with Silky too. I guess I will give more thoughts to it.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my