Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Friendly Places:
Sea Gypsy Village, Johor

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Oct 27, 2005, 10:21 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Sea Gypsy Village, Johor Can't Post

This is the ONLY place I've found in Malaysia which welcomes dogs and has a clear policy about it! Check out http://siburesort.com/...0from%20Malaysia.htm. It's run by expats and my hubby & I will be going there after Hari Raya - with our dogs, of course. Looks really nice and unpretentious!

There are 2 other expat-run resorts: Rimba Resort and Sibu Island Cabanas. However, they don't seem to have as good a promotion as Sea Gypsy right now and also nothing on their website about dogs. When we get to Sibu Island, we'll try to find out.

If all goes well, I think puppy.com might want to organise a visit - it would be great to see how our urban dogs react to the natural sea!

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Nov 15, 2005, 4:48 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaelian] Sea Gypsy Village, Johor [In reply to] Can't Post

This place was fantastic and perfect for a holiday with one's pet. We went during the low season so had the place almost to ourselves! The staff there are a mix of Malays, Europeans, Filipinos & Indonesians (the owner is a Brit) so pets are warmly welcomed. In fact, the owner has a retriever of her own but as they live primarily in JB now, he only visits on the weekends.

Our Duke had a wonderful time (we think!) and we'll definitely go back again. First time seeing the sea, getting on a boat, tasting salt water, walking on sand - his reactions were priceless! He definitely isn't wild about waves and kept trying to "herd" them every morning when we went for our swim. When we swam around a bay, he eventually worked out how to climb over the rocks to meet us on the other side. Swimming in the sea was definitely something he avoided at all cost :-) We did get him to swim a bit but he was clearly reluctant and only did it to please us. It would be interesting to see how he reacts to us scuba diving the next time!

According to the rules, he had to sleep outside our room but he didn't seem to mind. We were also supposed to have him leashed as well but we decided not to bother as he's a pretty mellow dog and as it turned out, he didn't move during the night at all. We brought his food but in ended up feeding him leftovers from dinner - he enjoyed the different menu each night!

The resort itself was clearly catered to the expat market - most Malaysians would probably not bother with a hotel which has no hot water or air-conditioning! However, the view, the semi-private beach and the clear waters were worth it, not to mention the fact that it has the only licensed bar on the island! If you're looking to vacation with your dog IN MALAYSIA, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better place!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Other den d 5 hr drive n off limit areas 2 dogs, dis seems like a fun place Wink.

Do dogs hv 2 b in a crate ven boarding d ferry? Wat other activities can dogs take part in whilst on d island eg. jungle trekking, kayaking? Do dey allow dogs on deir boats during d snorkelling trips?

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

(This post was edited by groovemaster on Nov 17, 2005, 9:00 PM)

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2005, 3:45 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] Sea Gypsy Village, Johor [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no ferry, it's a motor boat so a proper crate may be too bulky (unless your dog is tiny!). Our dog was on leash.

They don't have any specific activities organised for dogs but as all the staff like dogs (including the Malays), they probably won't have any problems with dogs accompanying you on any of the activities, including being on boats or kayaks. As long as the dog doesn't destroy their equipment, anything boleh! However, they don't have any doggy life jackets :-)

Please note that there are other dogs on the island so it's important that your dog isn't aggressive and can be controlled by you. Nobody expects your dog to be perfect but it's important to the resort owner that the other guests (including children) feel safe so she won't hesitate to ask you to leave if your dog cannot behave. She even put her own dogs down several years when they started to become dangerously aggressive for no reason.

Hope this is helpful!

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Nov 18, 2005, 8:19 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chae Lian,

"According to the rules, he had to sleep outside our room but he didn't seem to mind. We were also supposed to have him leashed as well but we decided not to bother as he's a pretty mellow dog and as it turned out, he didn't move during the night at all"

Just read ur above post and need some clarifications dogs are not allowed to be inside the room at all ? even small ones ?

cheers,
minglmy

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Sea Gypsy Village, Johor [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess they just want to avoid the dog ending up on the bed or owners leaving the dog in the room alone or owners sneakily using the hotel towels to wipe the dog! At least if the dog is outside, everyone can keep an eye on it. Having spoken to several private hoteliers over the past few months, it's amazing how much damage bad dog owners allow their dogs to inflict!

I think the best thing is to ask the owner directly. And be honest about why your dog needs to be in the same room as you, e.g. you're epileptic and only your dog can sense when an attack is coming so he has to be able to alert you ala "Miracle Dogs" on Animal Planet!

Alternatively, you can also sleep with the door open (they have mosquito nets) so at least your dog can still see you from outside :-).

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Wink Thanks 4 info.

Yah, meant activities organized by ourselves, certainly dun expect d resort 2 do likewise 4 our dogs. Sounds like a pretty relaxed resort. Hv tried swimming, playing ball n frisbee at beaches with my JRT. Am sure he wld love 2 try boat rides, kayaking, surfing, jumping off d jetty n other water sports Shocked. Secluded island resorts will b more accommodating in dis regard, I guess.

Certainly dogs’ll hv 2 b fairly calm, quiet, controllable n good with people especially kids. Went 2 Bon Ton resort in Langkawi recently n JRT had 2 put up with 20 or so cats lounging around d resort. Was pretty immune 2 dem by d last day. Angelic

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Very impressed with your dog - mine would have gone berserk. Mind you, cats always win in the end so I guess my dog will eventually be put in his place if he stayed there long enough!

We're going to try Cameron Highlands next to see if he enjoys the cooler temperature!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2005, 1:16 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Sly Ha ha…only told u half d story. Better not mention here, dun wanna upset any cat lovers. JRT also loves 2 chase cats, either he bcame immune 2 dem or d cats figured out dat if dey didnt run n stayed calm, den d dog wun really bother dem. Its just d sudden movements dat gets dogs excited.

On d last day, 1 of dem even got into his crate whilst he was looking on bewildered. Shocked

Attachments: gbon15.jpg (77.3 KB)

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Nov 19, 2005, 10:26 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Ha! Ha! You should have videotaped that and submitted to Planet's Funniest Animals!

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2005, 9:54 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Smile Yup missed out on dat. Any pics of ur beach hols with Duke 2 share? Dogs at beaches make a great sight. Cool

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2005, 9:55 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Yup missed out on dat. Any pics of ur beach hols with 2 share? Dogs at beaches make a great sight. Cool

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my