Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Do not need to crate anymore

buckieluck
Novice

Oct 25, 2005, 1:43 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Do not need to crate anymore Can't Post

I have seen some dogs stay all day outside the yard/porch without being destructive even when they go off for a short trip vacation (2-3days).

My Buckie is 8 mths old and he is very hyper when I let him out from his cage. He has been trained on chewing and biting on things like slippers and digging grasses but when I leave him outside for 10 minutes, he will do it. Sometimes he won't, most of the time he will. Maybe he needs attention I guess..

I do not wish to crate him all the time when he is big so I want to let him loose runing around the yard, especially when I am going for a short vacation for 2 days or so but I really do not know how to do it. Sigh....

Once I accidentally let him loose and opened the gate outside, he ran out and being a freshie at road he didn't know how to look out for cars. He was then hit by a proton saga and flung few feet away. Lucky thing he is still alive la... Frown I heard that once a dog hit by a car and if he is still alive, he will be very alert on the road?
--------------------------------------------------------
Siberian Husky + Silky Terrier = My Buckie
Add Buckie in your Dogster : www.dogster.com/?187451

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2005, 2:00 AM

Post #2 of 11 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckieluck] Do not need to crate anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

buckieluck

good news is wat u said is true, he will be more alert towards cars but unfortunately, he will never learn by himself how fast a car can move or how dangerous humans may be. Once he run lose manythings might happen, who knows?

For ur case, u should start training ur dog. If he is a freshie for road, bring him out for a walk more often, NEVER allow ur dog walk out from the door 1st. ask him to sit, then let u walk out 1st, then only allow him to follow.

Especially if ur dog is a mixed husky, this explains why he loves digging & being so excited once he is let out free from his crate. A husky genetically loves to dig. A husky is very energetic & u will have to excercise him a lot or else accept him to be destructive.

May I know more abt crating of ur dog? When is ur dog being caged & when he is released? How long? What is the purpose of the crate? A place to sleep? Stay? or confined? U may want to let me know more other things not mentioned here.

It is a good step for u to post up a thread to discuss & learn more abt ur dog's behaviour. good job! Im sure more help is on the way, there are lots of experts here.

Regards,

Yang

buckieluck
Novice

Oct 25, 2005, 3:06 PM

Post #3 of 11 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Do not need to crate anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

I made him a dog house and he stays in there all day and night. I let him out only twice a day, once in the morning (About 45mins) and another one after work , around 5pm. I'll bring him for evening walk when it's not raining, feed him and spend around 1 hour plus with him. This time, I will revise all the training/tricks like play dead , rollover, stand up and balance.. etc etc so he could remember them. Frown

At night, he will be sleeping in his cage until the next morning and the cycle repeats.

These days, I keep on correcting him each time he starts biting on slippers and shoes. Most of the time, he knows it's wrong. Sometimes, he does it out of boredom I think. By the way, I don't think he digs the grasses anymore. Quite a good boy.

I am just wondering when exactly is the time that a dog can wander free around the yard without being caged.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2005, 9:23 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1463 views)
Shortcut

i also cage my dog n let her out from 7am to 9am n 5pm to 10pm.....

there is only 1 reason for a dog 2 be destructive.....boredom....

try to get ur dog exercise daily....being him for a jog wit u.....jog can make him more tired up....

what u can try 2 do is....

bring ur dog for a jog......then after returning home.....put him in d garden.....under ur supervision!!.....don't let him had any chance d destroy anything.....once u see him 'GOING' 2 do some illegal thing....stop him....

if u let him 2 destroy already then only scold....it will just slow down d learning process.....learn bad its easy....learn 2 be good is hard....

repeat this for a week or 2.....depend on ur dogs condition.....then later u could minimize d supervison time....for example peep at him after every 5 or 10 minutes....

try it out....coz this really work for me....

n as for d shoe chewing problem....mayb u might wanted 2 tolerate wit him.....put all shoe in d rack....don't let him reach it....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Oct 25, 2005, 9:25 PM)

buckieluck
Novice

Oct 26, 2005, 1:59 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Do not need to crate anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

What I meant was, at what age is suitable to let your dog out free running in the yard without caging?

I think day time dogs should be free to wander outside the yard/lawn and then locked during nights right? At least they get the taste of being free... hhehehe..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 5, 2005, 7:37 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1421 views)
Shortcut

oic...then any age also can le....as long as they can't slip through d grills...Laugh

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2005, 10:22 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1419 views)
Shortcut

buckieluck

Well crating a pup is to make sure she is safe when u are not around. Another thing is for training. For me, pups are free to run around whenever i can keep an eye on them. Once I finish the basic trainings, I will let them run freely all day round. It is not to say how old to let them free more suitable, it is how well they are trained. Smile

Regards,

Yang

buckieluck
Novice

Nov 8, 2005, 4:43 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Do not need to crate anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the tips. I think ur suggestion will work as Buckie will only chew the slippers out of boredom so as long as they are out of reach, it should be fine I guess.

The only thing I am worried about is when someone opens the gate. Once he has been hit by a car because of that but he went back into the house immediately, I don't know if he would repeat that.

There's a dog in front of my house and he is about 5 yrs old. When the gate is opened, he would run out and if the owner calls him back or honk his car, he will run back inside. Very good dog.. I'd be more than happy if Buckie is like that! LoL

Do your dogs do that as well? Like go out and then come back when called? How do u train him to never wander outside the house without leash on him?

buckieluck
Novice

Nov 8, 2005, 4:49 AM

Post #9 of 11 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Do not need to crate anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

At what age was your furkid free to run around? Was it hard to train at first?

Buckie has the tendency of jumping onto people he knows, but of course with a firm 'Off', then he would step back. He loves to run and wander around the house when he is let loose, and he never walks slowly. He is always very excited and active.
Frown

Amanda85
Doggyman

Nov 11, 2005, 6:59 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1395 views)
Shortcut

haha....be honest saying...my dog will also dash out d gate.....i think probably she is too familiar wit d environment already since i walk her daily......n afterall she is a extreme playful dog...she just can resist d temptation of getting out d house.....but if i get out to scold her...she will stood there waiting for me 2 catch her....

on d other hand....d other dog in my house who doesn't get a walk......he doesn't dare to run out of d gate....probably he is not familiar wit d place out there...n also afraid that he might get lost....

i've read from several sources to overcome this kind of behaviour...mostly said that teach ur dog to 'stay'....but this doesn't work....my previous dog know how to stay......but when i open d gate she still run out......

so another option is.....don't let ur dog had d chance to run out....keep her on leash before opening d gate is my best solution.....

but if one day my dog stop running out d gate....i'll probably think that she is sick

i think the only time when my dog will not dash out is when she had reach 5 years old....old enough to stop running away

Pacco de Mongrel

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2005, 1:30 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1391 views)
Shortcut

An old thread..might not have worked for Amanda but it could work for u since it was a method taught by experience.. Smile

http://www.puppy.com.my/...%20the%20gate;#77730

There are 1 or 2 other methods..I will try to post when I get the time

Good Luck!
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my