Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Confrontations, What would you do??

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 25, 2002, 5:20 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4499 views)
Shortcut
Confrontations, What would you do?? Can't Post

Today I took my Holli for walkies and was confronted by a dog who was let off leash and whose owner was standing quite some distance away..

Obviously this dog isn't trained because as the dog and owner were approaching, the dog was pulling at the leash..then the owner let the dog off leash and the dog came charging at me and Holli barking his head off...

so, I just ignored the dog and Holli was in defense mode, her hair on her back was standing and her tail was up...but she never did bark back but, as both of us walked away, the dog kept on chasing so finally I decided to stand still and try and protect my Holli in case the dog decides to attack...so everytime he comes near, Holli backs off...

..Obviously that other dog felt that we were invading his territory...

So the owner seeing his dog going wild walks over and tells his dog to back off..his dog does take a few steps back only to start barking at this other man who wants to get into his car to go to work..and this dog is just in the way and barking like crazy..

then the owner shouts and the dogs tries to have a go at Holli again...

So, I know I'm rambling...so in the end, the owner takes his dog back..and the dog is pulling again..

If you were in a similar confrontation, what would you do?? And I don't get why Holli keep on backing off...?? I would have liked it if she stood her ground...

Oh yeah forgot to mention that this dog looks something isn't that much bigger than Holli..hhmm probably the size of a beagle.?

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Pat

Mar 25, 2002, 5:47 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Rainbow,

The situation you faced is very typical. I encounter this a couple of times too. The safest way is to act unperturbed and avoid staring at the dog. I would just drag my puppy away and continue walking. If the other dog starts attacking at either me or my dog, I would attack the dog back or yell for its owner's attention and lodge a complaint with the owner.

Just like human beings, dogs sense fear in some dogs and bully others, regardless of the size. One day my dog can be so scared of the neighbours dog, another day she charges at it. I call it Hormones imbalance.Crazy

Regards,

Patricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 25, 2002, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4489 views)
Shortcut

You just don't know what you can do in the face of grave danger Crazy. I remember being attacked by a dog twice. The first was frontal and I kicked him hard, hitting him in the throat and he scampered away.

The second was a bad mistake Unsure and this I'd like to share. I don't take pride in this since I awfully neglected one very important aspect of dog handling; PATIENCE. The dog was barely three days old in the Miri and we were taking a walk when I tried out some commands on him. The first two worked and I stretched my luck further. When the third command was unheeded, I nudged him a bit and that did it. He got me by the hand. Only when I got numbed from the hand to the elbow did I fight back.

The best defense against dog attacks is prevention Angelic. If you know there is an aggressive dog or pack on a certain street, take another route. If you are referring to street dogs who hang around the route you have to take, you might want to carry a walking stick to scare them away plus give you a more confident bearing, a body language that dogs can read and avoid.

Speaking of reading body language, you also have to learn to read the dog’s body language. A dominant-aggressive dog ready to attack will usually approach in a stiff-legged stance, leaning slightly forward, head up, tail straight out or raised and slightly wagging stiffly, ears forward or back (for the not too confident dogs), and with a defiant look in his eyes. His hackles (hair on his spine) may be bristled or not (the more confident ones don’t), and his lips may be drawn back showing teeth and a snarl.

When approached by a dominant-aggressive dog, don’t stare at his eyes; instead run your eyes to his shoulders and toward the tail. Don’t approach him in a frontal manner but point your shoulder toward him. Both these actions are meant to communicate non-confrontation without intimidation. Don’t make any sudden moves to trigger him to attack. Your movements should be slow and deliberate.

Once you pass him, don’t turn your back on him. Just keep walking forward while your shoulders are turned toward him and your eyes looking at his body. Never run, as this will trigger his prey drive and he will definitely chase you. With four legs, he has a bigger chance of catching up.

A fear-aggressive dog will have a tense, cowered posture, head down with ears back, almost flat and low to the head; eyes are averted, darting back and forth at you; with a “don’t-hurt-me” look on his face; tail is down and between his legs; lips drawn back far to expose teeth; and with a worried growl. As long as you don’t invade his “bubble” or corner him, he will not attack and would rather just disappear from your presence. Just keep your distance and keep an eye on him. Again, don’t turn your back on him or run.

Matches Shocked ... When walking specially at night and you see a pack of dogs ahead, start pulling out your matches. Stop for a while and get two to three matchsticks and bunch them together so it would lit in one strike, then resume walking in that position, left hand with the matchbox and right hand with matchsticks ready to fire. When a dog gets uncomfortably close, strike your matchsticks and throw it towards the dog. It hasn't failed me yet, I mean, with street dogs Smile.

If all else fails, clasp your hands together; put them next to your chest; bow your head; close your eyes… and pray the Act of Contrition.
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Andrew

Mar 25, 2002, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Rainbow,

Pat is right about it. Dog do have the sense of fear too. One of my dog ( mixed ) that I think it too much of fear in it. She will keep backing off while barking when there is stranger coming in to our house. But this won't happen to my spitz. She won't back off if some stranger that came in to my house directly .She'll bark first and if the stranger didn't back off she'll attack.

As for your situation, I've encountered it once. I was walking my spitz and there was a dog that is a mixed bred and the size is slighty bigger than my dog came charging straight at us. I didn't notice that until my dog pulling like she's defending by need to attack back if the dog came any nearer. I'm a bit of panic at that time. The stranger dog stop I think 1 meter from us and bark at us like hell, and my spitz is doing the same thing back to the stranger dog. I try to pull my dog away, but then the stranger dog came nearer as we back off. And as this keep happen couple of time, it get my nerve up and then I pick up couple of stone and throw at the dog and then Me and my dog charge back at this stranger dog. At that time I was thinking that "That's It. If You Want A fight. You'll Get A Fight" . And luckily the dog chicken away. If not there will be really a BIG fight .... My spitz is the kind of fearless type...she'll attack when is needed.

That is what I've done when it came to emergency...and if I could find who is the owner, I'll do the same thing as Pat mention, lodge a complain to the owner.....

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 25, 2002, 11:09 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL Leopui..I like the last part.."If all else fails, clasp your hands together; put them next to your chest; bow your head; close your eyes… and pray the Act of Contrition. "

Thanks for your replies..will see what happens the next time..Will collect stones and sticks. :) lOLSmile

¸.·´ ·´¨¨))

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 28, 2002, 4:04 AM

Post #6 of 13 (4463 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

join the club! I was / am facing the same situation alomost eveyday. I was bitten by a pit bull mix a few months ago.Then i was walking Newton (my GSD Akita mix 3yr old) when we came to this house with a gila - gila dog (which like to bark and bark and ... non stop barking) Newton was standing and looing at the house and I saw the gate open, I told myself "that's it " ... it happen that that day I didn't bring the big batang penyapu taht I carry with me so when the dog came running and jumped on Newton I had ... well I told Newton to attack (Newton attacks when told and fights when others attack him, myself, my wife and kids .. He is a great dog. Then the owner came but did not want to call back her dog so i pulled the dog away and told Newton to STOP he did so but the then I let go off Newton to control (stupid me!) the this mad dog bit my right hand. The onwer had only this to say " tak apalah sikit saja... anging macam itu saja..." Newton had 2 bit marks.....but he got well soon.

Then again I was walking Izac (the rotti) he was only 8 mons then my son was with me and this house with 2 pit bulls (pure breeds) had it's gate open one of them was out and came at us. Izac was standing beetwen us and the pit bull I was having my bayang penyapu this time and what YES I HIT THE PIT BULL! To me at that time with my son and my puppy I say .. I did the right thing the onwer saw it did not say a word but this days the pit bull never comes out.

This evening another guy let out his dog... this dog came running at Izac and me without me saying anything Izac was standing by my side and looking at the dog not pulling or moving away I called him to back off but he didn't move.. the other dog came right up to us about 1.5 ft away and Izac wanted to jump on him but then the dog ran away .... I called my rotti back and we walked home happyly THE END.... hope you people are not sleeping...Cool just had to tell my story to someone.

Dar

zitian

Mar 28, 2002, 4:59 AM

Post #7 of 13 (4459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dar] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi dar..u sure that the dog that approaching u was pit bull?? from what i know..pit bull is fearless...bold and plucky..if u really see a pit bull next time...ignore and dun attack them...just a friendly warning...

Andrew

Mar 28, 2002, 8:12 AM

Post #8 of 13 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zitian] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, if I saw a pitt bull, i can tell you, my leg will get numb...I'm quite afraid of breed like pitt bull, rotti, dobs...But dobs is still OK with me but for sure not pitt bull or rotti...

I've seen in a TV programme, a pitt bull attacking a human, goshh..it's really awfull...the pit bull is really fearless and keep attack even it's owner try to stop it...

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

zitian

Mar 28, 2002, 8:27 AM

Post #9 of 13 (4449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Confrontations, What would you do?? [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a pitbull cross attack ppl last week in Sydney.. the victim's nose totally gone...and the victim is around 6 feet tall... just imagine... dun play play...Pirate

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Mar 28, 2002, 7:03 PM

Post #10 of 13 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like you have your hands full Dar!!! Smile You tried to be hero also!! LOL..Just joking

¸.·´ ·´¨¨))

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 28, 2002, 10:07 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4437 views)
Shortcut

zitian,

yes it was a pitt bull. the 1st was mix and the 2nd with Izac was a pitt too. To me it didn't look mixed and i know that the owner has 2 of them a female and a male. The female is out most of the time.I do see some indon works around too working for the owner and they don't seem to mind.This guy has a rotti female too, that was left out during the night till morning some times ago.

Dar
Dog Kichi

Mar 29, 2002, 4:04 AM

Post #12 of 13 (4425 views)
Shortcut

hi me again,

know what, this evening i took Izac to the pitt bull's place. i saw the owner and talked to him (a Mr Lam) yes the dog is a pitt bull .... these is what he said ..." U are asking about the dog U hit the other day?".....Shocked oh my god!!! I wanted to run away, he remembers ....me hitting his dog, the pitt is about to be 11monts now so the time I "hit" her she was 5 monts.and he did add "don't hit her now, she is big"...

Dar

zitian

Mar 29, 2002, 4:12 AM

Post #13 of 13 (4423 views)
Shortcut

LOLCool...so better back off when u see the pit bull's again for u and your dog's sake...cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my