Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Need some advice here!!

whooi
Novice

Oct 25, 2005, 1:02 AM

Post #1 of 22 (1953 views)
Shortcut
Need some advice here!! Can't Post

Hello, everyone.. I just got my first dog, a siberian husky. His name is Nicky. Just got him like a week before. He's around 2mths old. Now the major problem is the pee and poo problem.

He is confined to my house's kitchen area(indoor). So, what i planned is to train the fella to do his stuff on the newspaper. So, i put the newspaper at a spot for him to pee and poo. In the 2nd day, the fella managed to pee on the newspaper and i quickly praised him for his good job. I think he got what i meant so, for the subsequent few times, he managed to do his job there. But that lasted only for like 1 day,after that the fella continued to pee and poo everywhere.

So, now i have to place newspapers on a few major spots that he has peed and pooed before, hoping that he will do it on the newspaper but he seemed to do it everywhere. Now i have to place the newspaper on 3 spots. Sometimes he managed to get to it, sometimes not. I tried to praise the fella again when he succesfully got the correct spot, but that didn't work quite well. He still do it everywhere.

I read the few threads on toilet training, they said that it will poo after they wake up, 1/2 hr after their meal and before they sleep.. but mine is quite different. That day after i gave the fella his lunch, i stayed beside him for like a few hours, but the fella still din poo.. After i left then only the fella pooed.. and its kind of like dinner time d... I tried to bring the fella for a walk after meal, but still he prefers to do his stuff after the walk. How do i make him to poo during his walk? (There's a backlane behind my house, so i always take him to walk there)

I planned to buy those spray where it can cleans away the odour on the floor. Is that effective??

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2005, 1:39 AM

Post #2 of 22 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whooi] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

whooi

Congrats for getting another precious family member!

Well for ur case, it seems like the ur dog do make a great progress indeed since he feel happy & actually understand he does the right thing when u praise him.

They key to success here is consistency & patient, continue ur good work of praising him whenever he does it correctly, & when time passes, u will find that ur dog is improving mroe & more! A pup which is 2 months old wont be very discipline, instead they are so naughty & exciting! so sometimes or should i say lots of the time they will mis-pee or poo at the wrong place even they know it is wrong! Anyway it is never too early to train ur pup though.

& if like u say ur pup wont choose the right time to pee or poo, it is advisable to use a crate. Crate ur pup when nobody is supervising. Release him out especially once she wake up & after meals. Bring her out to the right place & ask her to pee or poo there. If she does, praise her a lot! if she doent, place her back to the crate & after a while, realease her again & repeat the process. If she does pee or poo on the right spot then let her run freely.

Remember Im not asking you to crate ur pup forever, the purpose of crating here is to train ur pup, once she is well trained u r happy, & she will be happy as well! Smile

Regards,

Yang

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 22 (1937 views)
Shortcut

if you bring him out to pee poo, bring him to grassy areas, and see if he loves to do his business there or not....

and you should remove the smell where your husky like to pee poo in house...

whooi
Novice

Oct 28, 2005, 1:00 AM

Post #4 of 22 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it possible if i use a chain and chain it to a certain area instead of using a crate?? then mayb let him run free after he did his job on the newspaper??

I have cleaned my whole area with those cleanser that clinics and vets used. Supposedly it should be odour free, but my naughty Nicky still pee and poo everywhere, regardless of his own pee or poo odour. I tried to put those newspapers with his pee and poo on a certain spot. Sometimes he managed to do it there, but alot of times, he just did it out of the newspaper area. Is it that his pee odour still there? or he just like to pee and poo around??

Whenever we bring him out for a walk, he just love to explore around, even around the bushes.. He will wait until when he's back inside the house then only he will do his stuff... sigh...

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #5 of 22 (1922 views)
Shortcut

say for example, you feed him at 8.00 pm... after feeding, then you bring him out for a walk... you have to spend more time bring him outside, so that he pee poo outside.. praise him (with words or with treats) and gently scold/beat him when he did something wrong..

you need to train him few times so that he can remember..... LaughLaughLaugh

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 28, 2005, 6:55 AM

Post #6 of 22 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Your puppy is young and all puppies learn differently in their own way. Do be patient and just continue praising your pup when he does on the right spot. I train my pup to do her business on grass and newspaper. It's really simple. At first, it was hard coz she pee and poo everywhere. Well, I did the newspaper thing and she has learnt how to do her business on newspaper in just 3 days. How? Well, take a piece of newspaper and soak some of the pee, then put another sheet on top of the soaked one. If you read dog books, dogs will pee and poo in areas which contain their smell. If your pup still pees around the house, you can always clean the area using clorox. It works. I use floor cleaner lah and now my room no more smell.

My pup will get to go outside right after her meal. I will command "toilet" and bring her out to grassy area with a leash. When she does her business, I praise and pat her using happy gestures and happy voice. Now, she never pees inside the house unless it's raining outside so she will use the newspaper.

You can chain a dog but not for long periods, the best is like maybe less than an hour of chaining for a puppy. Longer than that and your pup can go crazy later in life. Best is to crate so your pup won't get injuries from chaining. Puppy pens are good, better for me but my pup knows how to climb out of the pen so it's useless for me. Do read up on how to house break a puppy. I have a few books, I just lend a basic dog owning book to my friend.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

whooi
Novice

Oct 28, 2005, 9:45 PM

Post #7 of 22 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okok, thanx alot for all of your advices.. I will try and see whether it works or not... Again, thanx for the advices..

mousechee

Oct 29, 2005, 10:03 AM

Post #8 of 22 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Hello whooi,

I've got a shih tzu who used to be like yours- pee and poo everywhere.

I am sharing my experience here and perhaps you can apply it in your case. I am just new to this puppy thing and still learning.

When Tommy was first brought home, I confined him in my toilet. I tried laying a piece of newspapers at one corner for him to pee and poo. Nope. He doesn't do it on the npp but did it everywhere on the floor. It makes matters worst because he was having soft stool and he was stepping on his poo and running around the bathroom. Messy and yucky. I was also tired of waiting for him to pee and poo at the "right" time. He will only do it behind my back and at irregular times.

I ended up laying npp on the entire floor area. This is to make him get the idea of peeing and pooing on the npp. The next day, I reduced the coverage area of npp to only half of the floor. At the end of the day, only a small corner of the floor is covered with npp. It takes me 4 days to train him.

Always remember that puppy doesn't like to pee and poo near their eating and resting place unless they have no choice. So place npp away from his water/feeding bowl and resting place.

You can use pure white vinegar to get rid of the smell of pee and poo. It acts as a neutraliser.

Do not scold your puppy when you see Nicky in the midst of his business at the wrong spot. He may be confused and thought you are scolding him for doing his business. You may end up having him pee/poo at hidden spots. Telling him "wait,wait" and by bringing him to a selected area is a better option. Be prepared to have pee dribbling along the floor. Vinegar time then.

Sniffing or circling around are the signs and symptoms that it is "business" time.

If you prefer to let Nicky do his business at the back lane, leash him and bring him out. Stop at a spot. Do not play with him or he'll get excited and won't do his business, tell him to pee/poo and wait quietly for about 5-10mins. Always stick to the same words "Poo/Pee" so in future he'll know it's pee/poo time. Let him sniff around. Praise him after he did his business and let him walk around for a little while. If he doesn't want to do his business, remind him again while walking back to your house. In the house, monitor him. If he still haven't pee/poo yet, bring him out again. You have to be very patient and have time to do this. he will eventually learn to do his business outside.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2005, 7:34 PM

Post #9 of 22 (1909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

mousechee

Great posting! u seems like expert rather than beginner.

Regards,

Yang

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #10 of 22 (1904 views)
Shortcut

whooi

seems like there are many who willing to help u here, see how lucky u r! through my observation, I think ur main problem is lacking of time spent on the pup, especially the first few days of the pup arrived.

I chosen weekend to collect my pup & spent the entire 3 days in a room with my pup. I sleep there, read there, do everything there so that i can observe the pup & train her. I managed to train her pee & poo on the newspaper in 1 day, sit & down in another, shake hand another.

The key point I wish to emphasise is in order to expect fast result, u cant expect the pup to learn fast or be smarter. U should willing to spend more time, & give more patient, & most important be consistent.

But it will never be too late to start, never will be too early too. My advice to u is spare out a day, spend 1 whole day with ur pup in a smaller area such as room kitchen or any suitable place where he/she wont run lose from ur eye sights. Observe & wait for her time to pee & poo, try all the methods tought here, & im sure ur pup will understand more.

The time spent is worth it. Rather than spending months cleaning up & teaching, why not make it days?

Regards,

Yang

mousechee

Oct 29, 2005, 11:47 PM

Post #11 of 22 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

so flattered.

Tommy is my very own first puppy. still learning. grew up surrounded by dogs n birds. didn't know how to raise a puppy as all my parents' dogs seem to be trouble free. Dad said "it's simple. whack the fella". I don't agree on certain methods they have been using, so I come here for help.

I have a lot more to learn from you.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 5:14 AM

Post #12 of 22 (1887 views)
Shortcut

No problem. I have read what Mousechee posted, follow what has been said by her. Puppies respond very well to praises and food. Now my pup never do her business around the house, only on area with newspaper lined on the floor.

Puppies, they pee and poo a few times a day. Your pup is young, so my bet would be peeing every 4 hours, after meals and after naps.

Leash, say a command for pee or poo, I use "toilet" and never play. Just repeat the word on and on till your pup has done his duty. After that, praise with words, you might even look a bit funny, making high tones with your voice and facial expressions. You can reward your pup with a pat or rub. Reward with words lie "good boy" on and on. In a few days, your pup will know that doing outside means more praises and nice owner heheheh... If your pup makes a mistake, just ignore, don't scold or punish your pup coz he doesn't know what is wrong. I have tried a few methods of training and truthfully, the reward and praise method works fast and very well.

Have you bought a crate or puppy pen?

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

whooi
Novice

Oct 31, 2005, 6:37 AM

Post #13 of 22 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, i would like to thank so many members here for helping me out!! U guys really give me a better idea of how to train Nicky... Thanx alot!!

I think mayb its because i din pay alot of attention to him.. Okok, tomorrow i will look after him whole day.. Actually, its kind of 2 weeks since i brought him back d.. But i think now, he still has this problem..

I planned to let him pee and poo on newspaper, but sometimes, he tend to pee BESIDE the newspaper not ON the newspaper. i have to like put 10 newspaper to make a large patch for him to pee, then he will only make it on the correct spot.

Yesterday i tried to shift the newspaper to another spot, just a few tiles away from his original spot, and totally cleaned the old spot..He still keep to the same old spot and pee and poo right there.. When he tried to poo, i quickly take him to the new spot and he really pooed there... i praised him like hell....mana tahu.... next time still the same old spot...How come ar?? Is it that there's smell there?? he doesn't seem to know that he must pee and poo on newspaper... i will try to use white vinegar next time and see how...

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #14 of 22 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Still got smell. You can use lime juice also to wipe the floor.

Dogs will tend to pee and poo on areas with their smell. Dogs are clean animals and the area with their smell is like their toilet are. Actually, there are many sprays and pads available in the market I have seen a spray that is for toilet training. Maybe you can give that a shot and try it out. Seems that the liquid from the spray attracts the puppy or kitten to pee and poo on the desired spot.

Another tip is making sure one of the old newspapers is actually one that has his pee smell. This will work too. Place new newspapers with an old one from the previous pee and poo and see if it works on your Nicky.

mousechee

Nov 1, 2005, 7:48 AM

Post #15 of 22 (1868 views)
Shortcut

how's the toilet training going on?

in your earlier post, you mentioned that Nicky peed beside npp instead of on npp. maybe it was the position he was standing-Front leg on npp but hind legs outside npp. That explains the missed target.

decide properly the location of his "toilet", somewhere out of human traffic.

by moving npp to another spot, you are beginning all over again in training him to pee/poo on a spot you want. I am using liner for Tommy. After removing a soiled liner, I forgot to replace it with a new one. Tommy peed on the floor(where liner supposed to be) bcos that is his toilet spot.

I agree with what leecy said. Spending time toilet training Nicky is a well worth effort. All you need are some time, patience and watching him like a hawk. When I first let Tommy in my room, I monitored him to ensure he do his business at the wanted spot and not elsewhere. When I want to go out, I confined him in an enclosed area to prevent any accident.

Good luck.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2005, 6:58 PM

Post #16 of 22 (1853 views)
Shortcut

whooi

well, this also indicates that ur pup become smarter! u see, he knows where to pee already. But since u decide to change a place, u really have to start all over again. try to put something to avoid him to go back to the same spot, or no matter how u clean it, he might go back again. Bcs this might not due to smell, might be due to habit already. Once he learned to pee at the new spot, only remove the obstacles.

As per the npp thingy, u have to start with more pieces of newspaper, then slowly reduce it, as he grows older, he will be more accurate. But do allow him to miss sometimes, bcs for male dogs they tend to "shoot out of spot" hehe.. Wink

Regards,

Yang

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 2, 2005, 7:03 PM

Post #17 of 22 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

mouschee

yap, think we missed out abt confining the pup when we cant observe what are they doing. I did exactly the same. Rather then come back home & saw the pup pee & poo everywhere then scold them, we should confine them to an area or crate, until we are back & have time to observe him, we let him out.

Another reason is for a pup, everything sems "tasty" & "Chewable" these includes wires! thus, it is wise to confine a pup when u cant actually keep an eye on her.

Regards,

Yang

whooi
Novice

Nov 3, 2005, 12:11 AM

Post #18 of 22 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, everyone

Again, thanx for all the advices..i am flattered to be showered by so many advices..You guys are great..They really help alot in learning how to toilet train Nicky..Nicky now seems to be better already.. Most of the time he did his job on the newspapers which are widely spreaded..Now i am trying to reduce the numbers of newspapers... Hopefully he managed to know that he SHOULD pee and poo on the newspapers..Actually, Nicky is kind of smart, just that he is always so naughty and inobedient.. I think sometimes he knows that he is supposed to do this, but he purposely dun do that... sigh... cannot do anything also...

After like 3 weeks, he managed to know only sit.. (most of the time, when he needs something,e.g. food, toys.. then only he will obey) I am planning to buy a book on training and tricks.. and also train to be alpha dog..he will be my future guard dog... Any suggestions?? Books that are available in pg or melaka, e.g. MPH, Popular..

janiceC

Nov 3, 2005, 3:04 AM

Post #19 of 22 (1822 views)
Shortcut

hi,,some members reccomend a book called [Teach yourself visually..] rm39.95

i've bought one recently too..but my pup still cant obey the command..Crazybut i think the book is quite good de..

n one thing i wanna ask u..when u ppr train ur husky,will he bite the newspaper n run away?cuz when my pup bite the newspaper,she will run away very quickly n become so madBlush

n now she pees n poos in her cage..she's used to it..i duno whether i should ppr train her again or not
www.dogster.com/?210313

whooi
Novice

Nov 4, 2005, 8:59 PM

Post #20 of 22 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janiceC] Need some advice here!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok,i will try to look around for that book and see how's it.. thanx..

Mine won't bite newspapers, but he will bite other stuffs.. so, i bought some toys for him to play with and also chew bone..

Like yours also, mine also don't obey command much.. After about like 3 weeks, the fella managed to "sit" only... sometimes "hand"... he's always not paying attention....haha....naughty fella...

Actually, like what the others members told me, if they pee and poo inside their cage, its good..meaning they know where to pee and poo.. like that it won't dirty ur house..alot of ppl also train their dogs to pee inside the cage. As long as they pee and poo at one side of the cage, then sleep at another, then its ok.. Cause dogs don't dirty their own sleeping place..

janiceC

Nov 5, 2005, 6:49 AM

Post #21 of 22 (1809 views)
Shortcut

good la then..wont bite newspaper...juz now QQ bite a piece of used tissue n run away..sumore so mad leh..Blushthen juz now she was like so moody..cuz got fireworks..i think she's afraid of the strange sound ler..

today i washed the cage v dethol..then she din pee n poo in the cage..but putside my room..Crazyohoho..but pee n poo inside the cage good meh?cuz she sleep inside woh...i really duno i should ppr train her now arnot..cuz ady wan 8months d..Blush

www.dogster.com/?210313

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #22 of 22 (1801 views)
Shortcut

whooi

im so happy to hear that! well actually for basic training, mostly all books abt dogs do give u good tips, just choose 1 which u like. Do keep us updated abt ur dogs yah.. Smile

Regards,

Yang

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my