Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Best time to take puppy home

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 22, 2005, 11:43 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2243 views)
Shortcut
Best time to take puppy home Can't Post

I've booked a Min Schnauzer and the breeder says I can collect her at six weeks. All the kwailou websites seem quite adamant puppies shouldn't leave their mama before they're eight weeks old. The thing is if I collected her at six weeks, I'd have a week more or less to devote to her full time because of the Diwali/Id holidays.

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Pangur Bán

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 12:16 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Best time to take puppy home [In reply to] Can't Post

PangurBan

Generally a pup should stick to her mom for 8 weeks. The mom will give them her lessons for eg. keep the place clean; & they need their mom's milk as well. The best time to seperate the pup from the mom is 8 weeks as well. This is bcs if u seperate the pup too late from the mom, they will tend to be not that close to ppl; another reason is the pup start growing teeth that time thus it might hurt the mom.

Although it is true that u should spare few days time to welcome & start training a new comers, but it is not advisable to take back the pup at 6 weeks old or else u will find problems from it. the pup might be weaker, or not that trainable since they learn not wnough from the mom.

Thus, it is best to find out a time or take a leave to get the pup after the pup is 8 weeks old. Smile

Regards,

Yang

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 27, 2005, 7:01 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Best time to take puppy home [In reply to] Can't Post

OK thanks. I'll speak to the breeder about this. Might go for a compromise of Week Seven. I've read a book which says avoid Week Eight because that's when puppy goes through their first "Fear Period". It advises taking the puppy either in Week Seven or Week Nine.

Cheers,

Pangur Bán

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Nov 1, 2005, 3:37 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Well is good to take the puppy at week 7 if you are confident you can take care of the puppy. If not I will recommend week 8. As for the "Fear Period", any puppies when taken to a new environment for sure will have fear. No matter how many weeks you take her home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 1, 2005, 9:44 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2159 views)
Shortcut

PangurBan

ok, do keep us updated abt the pup yah.. Wink

Regards,

Yang

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 1, 2005, 4:52 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2149 views)
Shortcut

8 week and above is the best time to take the pup home

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Nov 1, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Best time to take puppy home [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all for the advice.

Breeder called and said puppy was ready and she was sure it was alright to take her so I did. Arún Dubh is six weeks old today, she's been with me five days now, I'm with her most of the time, she's eating well, pooping and peeing lots all over the place, running and jumping about or trying to show the cat who's boss when she's not asleep, and she seems generally fine. She hasn't shown any real anxiety at all and seems quite well adjusted to her new life. It's a been a breeze so far, except for the regulation two times a night "get up and take me to the toilet" call.

Cheers,

Pangur Bán

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Nov 3, 2005, 1:25 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Hey

Congrats on you new addition. Well, you are pretty lucky, some puppies can be quite a handful when they're 6 weeks. For me, all my dogs were older than 8 weeks old when I got them, one was about 5 months when I got her... anyway, congrats. If your pup do get noisy or lonely, just put an alarm clock next to her, it'll mimic the heartbeat of the mother dog and this soothing sound will put most young pups to sleep.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2112 views)
Shortcut

PangurBan

So u can start training ur pups ready o~

Regards,

Yang

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Feb 1, 2006, 6:50 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Best time to take puppy home [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pleased to report that Arún, who's now over four months old, is healthy, and, for all I can tell, quite well-adjusted to life here with me. She's already toilet trained (balcony, close to the drain hole), she gets on fine with the cat (i.e. rough play most of the time haha), and she's very friendly with everyone she meets (i.e. furious tale wagging, pawing, licking).

She did have lots of problems with her skin initially - flaking, hair just coming off in clumps on her crown, a few bald patches due to eczema. She's been on Ivermectin, some cream, anti-fungal shampoo, even steroids, and oh the scratching. But she's a lot better now. Don't know if it's because I've stopped feeding her kibble and feed her now only barf and the occasional cooked meal or if it's because of the lemon thingy I rub on her skin. Her vet says she's got schnauzer bumps.

I've been handstripping her as well, slowly, bit by bit, and with any luck, she'll eventually emerge looking like a schnauzer.

Pangur Bán

(This post was edited by PangurBan on Feb 1, 2006, 6:52 AM)
Attachments: Arúnsofa.jpg (111 KB)

whooi
Novice

Mar 8, 2006, 6:17 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Congrats!! I see that u have a very pretty schnauzer there..How much u got this babe?? They are very nice pups....

Anyway, i wanna ask abit, can a husky live along with schnauzer?? Cause i got a 6mths old husky, so dunno whether is it ok for them to live together....

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Mar 8, 2006, 10:36 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whooi] Best time to take puppy home [In reply to] Can't Post

No idea. It all depends on your husky and the schauzer - their personalities I mean. IN general I believe it's easier to get your dogs to make friends when they're still young, provided they're well-adjusted. Some people will say it's easier if there's already a well-adjusted, older dog. The new arrival will then be treated as a new member of the pack if you introduce him carefully. Since the older fella' is already well established, he'll not feel threatened and accept the younger one into the pack.

Min Schnauzers are generally hyperactive when they're young, so you and your husky must be able to handle that.

And don't forget, min schnauzers are a lot of work as far as the grooming is concerned!

Best

Pangur Bán

whooi
Novice

Mar 11, 2006, 9:43 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1745 views)
Shortcut

Hmm..true also... personalities differ among dogs....

Just wanna ask u guys, is a schnauzer hard to take care?? Is hair trimming a problem?? Or are there any other problems that occur oftenly for a schnauzer?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my