IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me

mousechee

Oct 21, 2005, 1:05 AM

Post #1 of 15 (4134 views)
Shortcut
Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me Can't Post

During the day, Tommy is in my room. He will be confined in an area downstairs during the night.

These 2 days, Tommy have been biting my hands and feet. I tried saying "No" to him but he just wouldn't stop and would even follow me around just to bite. He even barked and growled at me when I said "No" to him.

Tommy will also bite my toddler's jumpsuit(leg area)and growls away.My daughter walked away to escape from him and ended up dragging Tommy along with his teeth firmly planted on her jumpsuit. I had a posting about his growling and barking on the other forum topic.

Sometimes, when I pat him, he will try to reach for my hand and bite it. I had given him toys to chew on but he prefers human to bite on.

I tried hitting a rolled up npp on the floor. He felt scared and backed off. At times, he will retreat to his favourite spot. I walked away but he will try to bite me a few minutes later.

Any suggestions on what I can do to stop him from biting me and my toddler?

Thanks.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2005, 10:18 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

mousechee

replied to u at anothr thread, please do view & give some feedbacks ok? thanks. Smile

Regards,

Yang

mousechee

Oct 23, 2005, 12:07 AM

Post #3 of 15 (4116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, thanks

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 26, 2005, 12:18 AM

Post #4 of 15 (4108 views)
Shortcut

Wow, it sounds more serious then in the other posting.

The next time he bites, please do the following. Play the serious alpha dog. That means that you push him to the ground (sideways) combined with a very upset said NO (should almost sound as like as you are growling). Hold with one hand the throat and with the other hand on his chest. He should not be able to move and hold him in this position without saying anything else until he surrenders.Everyday, start holding him on down (side and back position), use this to check for wounds, ticks, knots, etc. Means you touch anywhere and make sure he can’t wiggle out. Do as long as you like, but make sure that he has surrendered to you before you stop this. Use this opportunity to teach your kids to check him as well (doing the same under your supervision and protection). In dog language, this down position is the most submissive position and any other pack (family) member would be above him in the pack hierarchy.

mousechee

Oct 26, 2005, 7:36 AM

Post #5 of 15 (4102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks JoeSmith.

You wrote "Hold with one hand the throat and with the other hand on his chest. " I am a bit confused here. Please bear with me. Do you really mean throat or scruff area? Can't wait to try out this method.

I do daily grooming for him. He attempted to wriggle away but I won't allow him. Sometimes, he growls. Do I use the above method when he growls?

It is much more easier to teach my two older kids on how to handle Tommy. With the 22mos daughter, it is just hopeless. Being young, she will hold Tommy very tightly and that makes Tommy growls. I am trying to place my daughter at a "higher level in the pack" than Tommy. At the moment, I am "protecting" her .

I really hope the problems can be "rectified" when he is still a puppy. Thanks for your help. Will give feedback later on.

Take care.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 26, 2005, 8:29 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4097 views)
Shortcut

YES, what you simulate with this is the typical action from an alpha. He will bite into the throat while standing on the chest. If the dog shows clear sign of submission then he will live otherwise the pack leader will close his jaws. We are softer at heart but the message to the dog will be the same.

I use this as a last resort. The firm NO should do the job. Holding him by the neck and shake him (not to much, more like a shiver) is the softer version of disciplining a puppy. Again, that simulates what his mother would do when he is getting to naughty.

For the safety of your kids make sure that biting, nibbling is a clear NO and will never ever be tolerated.When you hold Tommy for grooming, then ask your kids to “help” you grooming, this should suffice as dominating action. Helping you feeding Tommy is another trick. They will give a command and they “release” the food to him when he obeyed. I estimate that you could settle this problem within 2 weeks.

mousechee

Oct 26, 2005, 11:06 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, thanks

cindy_pebbles

Nov 16, 2006, 9:37 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Have you tried out the alpha leader way on your puppy? I am having the same problem with my 8 wks MS altho he did not growl at me. But he enjoys biting my feet when I walk and my hands if i were to pat him. I believe he is just playing with me but sometimes it really hurt a lot! And I can't teach him to sit or stay coz he is using all his concentration to see where my hands were so that he could bite it! Told him "No" sternly when he bit but he pretends as if he didn't hear anything. Unsure I would like to try it out on my puppy tonite.Frown

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

princess_8
New User

Nov 21, 2006, 9:14 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3634 views)
Shortcut

mousechee,

I have a female silky terrie and it is 4 months old. She always like bite my feet and it is not pain, it's ichi.So i took some dog treat and ask she dont bite and call her to sit. If she already sit, i just give her the treat.You can train your dog like this !!!

Just From:

Ivan (Princess owner)

mykiko

Nov 26, 2006, 12:01 AM

Post #10 of 15 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear cindy,

My 3mths old shi tzu also the same, she will follow wherever i go. But she will only bite my feet when im getting ready to work in the morning tat is when im wearing my jeans or pants. She will bite my finger when im playing with her at nite. But she will stop when i say no, and sometime i purposely cry out loud when she bite me then she will stop too.

She is confused when i play fetching with her, she will keep staring at my hand eventhough i oredi throw her fetching toys.

But i think.... she know wat is sit oredi coz there is one time when i was training her. I was holding the snack in my hand, she keep on barking on my hand in a way like begging me to give her the snack. i push her butt down and say sit at the same time, i repeat it for quite some times. Then i stop pushing her then i said sit, she sit then i gave her snack. i also repeat it for several times and everyday... Now whenever i said sit she will sit. I guess she know how to sit oredi qua...Shocked

cindy_pebbles

Nov 27, 2006, 6:09 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mykiko] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

Hihi! Yeah, my MS (Benji) is also like your puppy. He keeps staring at my hands even when I throw a ball or something. Also, he likes to bite my hair. Very naughty. I scream NO but doesn't seemed to understand it. I move away when he bites and he bit me even harder when I return. Sometimes he likes to nudge me by using his nose and quickly run away. Wonder if he is trying to play with me? Hopefully he grow up and will automatically stop biting my feet and hands and also my pants. Haha....
Yeah, I have managed to teach him how to sit without even using my hands to push his butt down. All i did was to hold the treats high up so that he has to sit down to look up. Hehehe..and I said clearly SIT while his butt is reaching the floor and then ask him to STAY for a few seconds before giving him the treats. Hehe.. but he will get up in a few seconds. Can't sit for long. Other than that, I haven't managed to train on other things (like housebreaking and the NO BITE part...sigh...) Still working hard on those.... especially the NO BITE coz it is getting more and more painful.Frown
Frown

mykiko

Nov 27, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #12 of 15 (3602 views)
Shortcut

Dear cindy,

Poor you.... my kiko also like to play and bite my hair too hahahaha... but when i say no she will stop coz i beat her while saying NO! Kiko also the same, cant stay for long one! Kiko also bite my feet very hard one time so i pretend crying in pain, surprisingly she will come and lick my feet. Wish you all the best in training your benji...

cindy_pebbles

Nov 27, 2006, 10:00 PM

Post #13 of 15 (3601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mykiko] Teething 8wks Shih Tzu Biting me [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried not to hit Benji when he bits but I met a lady the other day with a Mini Schnauzer as well and she advise me to slap lightly to let Benji knows he what he did is wrong. I wonder will this make him aggressive later on? Frown
Anyway, might try out crying in pain and see how it turns out...Frown

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

mykiko

Nov 27, 2006, 10:49 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3598 views)
Shortcut

Dear Cindy,

As i know we have to beat our doggy in their growing stage whenever they did wrong, if not when they grew up they will become very naughty and aggresive and wont even listen to u. But not beat like really beat lah...

My fren shi tzu is very naughty coz last time when he is a puppy, my fren never beat him, let him bite and pee whatever and whenever he want... that why now extremely naughty and couldnt be taught anymore.

Coz if only with a firm 'No' without beating and fierce face, puppy dont know we are scolding them. Maybe for certain puppy can lah... but it wont works for stubborn and naughty puppy....

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Nov 29, 2006, 1:17 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3587 views)
Shortcut

hi,

as for the NO Bite stuff...u may try this...

each time he tries or bite you, hold him down and say no. Don let him go until he stops struggling...do it everytime he tries to bite you....

sasha used to be like dat too when she was younger..and i did that to her...at first, she will struggle and scream...but i just hold her down....until she surrenders...after a few times, whenever i say 'NO' she knows that I meant business....

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my