Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Growling 8 weeks old

mousechee

Oct 20, 2005, 11:25 PM

Post #1 of 17 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Growling 8 weeks old Can't Post

Hello fellow members,

Tommy the shih tzu have been with me for 2 weeks. He is teething right now. I have bought many toys for him to play and chew.

I discourage him from biting my hands and feet. I said a firm "No" to him. He growls and barks at me instead. When I hit a rolled up npp on the floor, he seems to be scared and back off. Shall I carry on doing this? Will this cause him to lose trust towards me or scared of me?

What else can I do to stop him from barking and growling at me? Please help as it is important to me to have a good relationship with Tommy and I want to be able to train him. Thanks in advance.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2005, 10:14 PM

Post #2 of 17 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mousechee] Growling 8 weeks old [In reply to] Can't Post

mousechee

Beside scaring him with newspaper, or should i say rather than scaring him (punishment method), u should as well reward him when he does the right thing.

For example when the dog bite on ur hand, u did the right thing by saying a firm "NO!" but wats the next step? immediately u should take the chew toy for him to chew, & praise him a lot when he play the chew toy, & it will be better to play along with him.

Abt the growling, a dog shouldnt grow to the owner, it is a sign of disrespect. U should start training ur dog, demand him to obey ur command b4 u feed him, give him treats or favourite toy, let him clear that u r the leader.

Well, my knowledge goes this far, u might want to obtain more help if situation wont improve. Smile

Regards,

Yang

mousechee

Oct 23, 2005, 12:10 AM

Post #3 of 17 (2636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Growling 8 weeks old [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, will give him a chew toy the next time he attempts to bite me.

thanks leecy. appreciate your help.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 26, 2005, 12:01 AM

Post #4 of 17 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Well, the puppy is still very young and it seems that he did not settle in at his new place. It seems that he does not feel comfortable with you and does not see you as his new alpha either.

Question: Were did you get this puppy from? Did you see the parents?To overcome the problem, you have to spend some times with the puppy. Play with him and provide very strict rules (stick to the rules) with a firm NO when it is not according to the rules and a very excited GOOD BOY (and a reward once in a while) when he does it right. Normally, a puppy will adapt very fast and will start looking up to you for food, protection, guidance and certainly as a playmate.

mousechee

Oct 26, 2005, 6:47 AM

Post #5 of 17 (2615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Growling 8 weeks old [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Joe SMith,

Well, you are right. I feel Tommy does not see me as the Alpha. He is starting to test and pushing his limits. I am trying to assume the Alpha role asap. I do set up a routine for him and praises him for all the right things .

Things are improving after reading an ebook.

Bought Tommy from a petshop so I have never seen his parents.

Thnaks for your reply.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 26, 2005, 8:04 PM

Post #6 of 17 (2608 views)
Shortcut

It seems that you are on the right track. It is possible that the petshop has taken the puppy at a to young age; hence, he could not learn the basics from his mum & siblings. Of course, it is also possible that he is just a little naughty fellow. Wishing you a lot of fun with your furkid.

mousechee

Oct 26, 2005, 11:25 PM

Post #7 of 17 (2601 views)
Shortcut

you are right. the petshop had Tommy at a young age-5 weeks. I was told Tommy is 2mos old so I bought him. Two days later, I learnt Tommy is only 6 weeks old. I will not have him if I know his real age. It will be unfair to him if I just send him back to the petshop due to his age. He haven't learnt the basics from his mom and not toilet train either.

He is doing well now. Now after 3 weeks,he is fully toilet trained and understand commands like sit, come, up, off, out, circle, paw and "beg". He doesn't protest when I intentionally remove his food bowl during his meal times. I can even open his mouth when he is chewing his food. Don't get me wrong, I am not bullying him. It's important that I am able to do this in any event he is having something that is not supposed to be chewed. My children can be quite careless at times, leaving tiny pieces of lego around.

I think he is trying to assume the role of an alpha by his barkings and growlings and when he is not happy with me. I really appreciate the time you spent to write to me and specifically show me how to be an Alpha . Will write a feedback later.

I think you missed my question on the other thread. Do I hold the throat or scruff area?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 28, 2005, 6:34 PM

Post #8 of 17 (2591 views)
Shortcut

Very good. I do exactly the same thing with my dog. It is not just for safety purpose to be able to remove any food from his mouth but also a clear indication that you are the alpha. No dog would feel bad about that, that is dog’s life. Some people do not understand the dog’s world and think that treating a dog like a human would make them happier or mentally more stable, but they are wrong. So, it is not a sign of a bully to enforce total control over the food but a very good training tool to ensure the safety and wellbeing of your dog. Sorry, when I did not make it very clear, but I really meant the throat. It would look as like as you would try to strangle your dog single-handed. You can apply some pressure to get the message across. To hold down the chest (place your hand a little below the shoulder) is important too, since this “nails” him to the floor.

mousechee

Oct 29, 2005, 8:39 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2573 views)
Shortcut

It's ok, just a small matter.

I applied your method when he growled at me. I told him the command "off" because he climbed on my bed. He understands the command and got off my bed but still wants to "argue" by growling. I held him down and he was just stunned. No movement but made some "erk, erk" sounds then silence.

He sort of surrendered. Quite pitiful. After I let go of him, he ran to his crate and stayed inside for about a minute. When he comes out, he acted normal.

It really worked. Thank you so much.

I agree with you. As for me, I want to be the Alpha not because I am a control freak or to bully him. I do not want to end up having Tommy grow up to be unruly, impossible to be groomed and a dog who growls and bite. Limits and routines are set for various reasons. I teach him commands not only for the purpose of amusement but also for safety, vet visits, grooming and a way of communicating. A well trained dog is a happier dog, earning praises and trust compared to an untrained or out of control one who are often told "no" all the time or being scolded for misbehaving or ended up being chained/confined because they bite.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 29, 2005, 10:11 PM

Post #10 of 17 (2572 views)
Shortcut

mousechee

good one. u seems learnt a lot from JoeSmith!

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Oct 31, 2005, 7:45 PM

Post #11 of 17 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Good to hear that you are in control. Don’t worry about the little pitiful look. He just learnt that his master’s commands are not up for discussion. That is good for him and good for your family too. You noticed that no beating, yelling is required to achieve something, it is just the firm and consistent attitude you exercise.Good luck and don’t forget to have lots of fun with your furkid.

mousechee

Nov 7, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #12 of 17 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Just an update.

Tommy is so easy to groom now. doesn't struggle or attempt to wriggle away.

he knows that he is not supposed to be on my bed. Well, that is during the day. In the middle of the night, I can sometimes feel he is sleeping on my bed(near my feet). very sneaky.

Tommy likes playing with my daughter. He wanted to play with the toddler but she was not interested. Tommy barked at her to get her attention as she is on the bed and he can't reach her. When I stare at him, he just run to his crate and come out again a few seconds later.

My toddler is very naughty. She will give Tommy a few strokes, carry him up, literally chuck him into the crate, close the door and walk away. She also likes to run away with his food bowl while he is eating and snatch away the greenies that he is chewing on. Good thing is, he doesn't protest at all. No more growling either. He turned himself into a soft toy(not moving at all) when she is handling him. I just need to be careful to prevent injury to Tommy. I see them becoming playmates. When she wakes up every morning, she will look for him and he is there wanting to play with her.

She was having fun playing fetch with Tommy. She learnt it by accident and giggled when Tommy brings the toy back to her.

i am now concentrating on teaching him commands. No more headache for me. See ya. Once again, thanks so much. I owe you one.

shuwen84
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2005, 6:49 PM

Post #13 of 17 (2428 views)
Shortcut

FrownFrownhiye mousechee

u are certainly fast in teaching your puppy so many commands

im stuck with only "sit" and toilet training is not even 100%she has her favourite spot... although once in a while she will accomodate me and do her business in the toilet floor

i have read the forum threads.... i can say 90% of it..

but cant seem to be successful in applying all those methods..

may i hear about your method?

my shih tzu is 4 months plus.... female.

here are some problems i encounter :

1) when she bites something she shouldnt, she will close her lips tightly... very tight... whenever i go near her. she knows she is not supposed to eat it i guess, but she doesnt want to give to me either.

2) toilet training!!! newspaper isnt successful... she chews on it.

3) ive tried hitting rolled newspaper on the floor, but she just barks at it. even if i hit her buttocks when she does something wrong, she barks back at my hand... i said NO.... then hit her again, she b arks again.. Crazy how to let her get the message. i didnt beat softly, its painful at times, ive tried on my hands..

but one thing that is, if i carry her... she wont bark at all... thats why its quite nice to bring her go shopping Blush its quite a nuisance if she keeps on barking ..phew..

and oh ya.. who knows where to buy a pet stroller? that cheap and nice... haha... in western countries they have so many things for pets... but in malaysia, sigh. for online shopping, its quite ok after the exchange rate...but the shipping WOAHHHHHH ... FrownFrownPiratePirate

janiceC

Dec 9, 2005, 7:50 AM

Post #14 of 17 (2408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shuwen84] Growling 8 weeks old [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,shuwen..

my shih tzu is 8months old now..n she's stil having the EXACTLY same problem like urs..

especially the nppr...i have to put alot of chairs to block her from chewing n scarathing them..(the newspapers are in the tray underneath her cage)n i do beat her too..n she wont afraid of me n will even bark at me..

for the ""1) when she bites something she shouldnt, she will close her lips....."

i'll go near to her with a treat in hand n ask her to sit/hand/down..she will drop it out to get the treat...(well,i;m not sure whether it is the correct training method though)
www.dogster.com/?210313

mousechee

Jan 6, 2006, 5:30 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2323 views)
Shortcut

hi Shuwen,

it's been close to a month since you posted a message to me. i did post a reply but had noticed that my reply had "dissapeared". Perhaps I did not make sure it load properly. Sorry for that.

are you still having problems with your pup?

shuwen84
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2317 views)
Shortcut

hey mousechee.........

hmmm wat problem was it about?
about Rainbow being choosy about her food?
now she is ok.......... lalalalala~~~
so hey, juz curious, how much should a 6 months old shih tzu weigh?
is it a very subjective question?

juz wanna make sure im not overfeeding or underfeeding her!

mousechee

Jan 6, 2006, 11:35 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2313 views)
Shortcut

there is no definite answer, i guess. if I am not mistaken, it makes a difference in size in shih tzu coming from different countries such as Australia, Japan, Taiwan, America, Europe, etc. Another guideline is to look at the size of Rainbow's mom.

As long as your shih tzu is healthy, active, no protruding ribs or chubby till you can't feel the ribs, it will be ok. You should discus this with the vet.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my