IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Dog training at home?

reneewong

Oct 8, 2005, 12:55 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Dog training at home? Can't Post

Does anyone know of a dog trainer who will come to your home to train dogs?

I've recently adopted 2 dogs from SPCA. 1 is a 5 month old puppy who is very easy to train, but the other is slightly more than 1 year. She's very energetic, very "jealous" and "selfish" and does not have very good "people connection". I think the prior owner had problems with her because of her personality (old owner reported to SPCA that the dog "snaps" if you take away her play things).

I can't take them to group training as the older dog gets very angry if the younger dog is not there (and neither am I) - she will later fight with the younger dog as if to "teach her a lesson".

Anyone with suggestions?

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 9, 2005, 7:13 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reneewong] Dog training at home? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

So sorry to hear of your predicament. I do know of someone, please give me a call at 012 231-1032 and I can pass you his number.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reneewong] Dog training at home? [In reply to] Can't Post

reneewong

Training a dog needs lots of time & attention, rathedr than ask somebody to help training ur dog, u might want to post up ur problem & try to solve it urself? as there are many experienced dog owners her, & they are very frenly & willing to help. thats wat the forum is for anyway right? Smile

Regards,

Yang

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 24, 2005, 8:41 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Dog training at home? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi leecy,

You are right in most of your points, but you must note both these dogs of rennewong are from the pound and one is over a year old. As I know it S.P.C.A. usually train their dogs before re-homing or at least the necessary training. Forum members will not be able to help here with advise as time is the factor as you have mentioned and breaking a dog requires time. Most forum members are using the "behavourist" approach to training, that is, working around the dog or adapting the enviroment to the dog.

A dog trainer would train a dog to adapt to the enviroment and they have several methods in doing this an non of them is better than the other but is dependent on the situation. The menthods are choke collar, treats, pinch collar and remote-collar. I am not certain if there are any more but these are the ones I know.

As for which method is best, you require a behavourist to determine, that is why it is important to pick a right pup to suit a particular owner, which from a pet shop is rather restrictive.

For a good trainer, one must look for one that is qualified from a proper establishment where the training of the trainer includes dog behaviourist too.

The above are just some food for thoughts and also the different in cost of training a dog.

bm1
Novice

Nov 20, 2005, 8:06 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Dog training at home? [In reply to] Can't Post

dear all,

i adapted a 1-year old dog from SPCA today, a Lab mixed - sort of a beagle body and a lab's head...

he is very very gentle - ithas been one day now. i have not heard a bark from him.

but he is stubborn (probably not used to the environment yet). and when i let him out to pee, he ran all over the neighbourhood...

i had a dog for 8 years but i got it when it was 2 months, hence easier to train. i followed the dog training guide (a book) - yes was stern and disciplined, i.e. she adapted to our home and not the other way round.

do i still hv a chance to train this 1 yr guy? he doesn't seemed to respond to anything (just like spoilt kids)... but he's gentle. i just don't want this guy to act like a spoilt bred. that's all.

where shall i start?

thanks a lot.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 21, 2005, 2:57 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bm1] Dog training at home? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi bm1,

In short, yes you can train your dog. I have trained a three year old for competition and now in the process of training another, 9 year old just to heel nothing but a good heel whereby she can goes for walk. For your problem, if you like give me a call at 019 231-1032 and maybe I can give you some hints on it.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my