My shin tzu very boring

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 7, 2005, 7:40 PM

Post #1 of 16 (3804 views)
Shortcut
My shin tzu very boring Can't Post

Hi~~

I got a shin tzu pup 4 months old and everday when i go to work i wil lock her in my room n she is freely to walk all over the room..

but i found out tat she is very lonely n boring bcoz she wil shred all the paper n book in my room which previous she wont did it. N almost 12 hours i wil not in the house bcoz working n only sat n sun juz can fully accompany her..

So wat can i do to reduce her boringness n lonelyness? She adi got a few toys. Got a petshop sales gal told me to buy a toy which is same size like my pup so she wil treat it like her partner, izzit true?

Plz advise... Thx..

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #2 of 16 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ah_fang] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue 12 hours in a stretch locked inside a room will indeed b boring 4 any1…wat more a pup. Can try dese:

1. Switch on d radio or tv 2 keep her company.

2. If u r working nearby, try n fit in lunch time visits.

3. If she’s toilet trained, gv her more access 2 d house eg. lounge, kitchen, washing area.

4. Gv her plenty of exercise n walks in d mornings, evenings n nite.

5. Play n train with her ven u r around.

6. Involve her in ur activities whenever possible eg. dinner, supper, coffee, pasar malam

7. Take part in dog sports during d weekends eg. agility.

8. Get more toys…u’ll need more den just a few toys. Noisy toys, chew toys, bones, food flavoured toys, soft toys, roll around toys etc. Just make sure dey r safe. Can also leave some of ur old clothes lying around, so dat she feels safe n familiar.

9. Place her with a fren, neighbour, day care or boarding place during working hours. Though she’ll b in a cage most of d time, at least she hs company.

Most importantly is 2 gv her enof play n exercise everyday. Den she’ll b more settled n not so restless when u r away. Think u hv 2 allocate at least 1-1½ hrs of ur time each day 4 dis. If u do dis with sufficient discipline, den more likely den not she’ll b tired during d day n will spend most of d time napping. Dogs do sleep a fair bit…so take advantage of dis. Cool

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 8, 2005, 1:22 AM

Post #3 of 16 (3789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx for ur reply.

I wil try to turn on the radio n let her listen to the music..

Emm.. bcoz i staying in a rented house n i got few housemate so cant let her go to other place in the house without me in.. afraid they wil complaint..

Wil buy more toys for her.. n planning to buy a same size 1 for her..

Ya.. i wil bring her together to most of the place i go.. sometime some place is not so suitable to bring her n juz leave her at home lo..

Ya, i spend few hours wif her.. but everytime i play wif her juz for a short period then she wil go away.. Frown then she wil look at me for a while then playing herself wif the toy.. -_-""

Currently my pup only know sit n down.. wanna to teach her 'hand' but she always refuse to do so.. How to teach her shake hand n roll over?

Thx..

groovemaster
Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2005, 3:33 AM

Post #4 of 16 (3783 views)
Shortcut

U housemates arent dog lovers? Better try n convert dem, den ur dog will hv more space 2 roam around. Angelic

U cn use her toys/ treats 2 play wif her, den she’ll b more interested n willing 2 play. Try n teach her 2 play fetch with a ball….good exercise n u dun hv 2 run much, let her do all d running.

She’s only 4 mths old, so just nice 2 start teaching some commands or tricks. 4 tricks, u’ll need 2 use her favourite treat/toy.

Hand - hold treat in ur closed palm just in front of her hand n she’ll usually try 2 paw or sniff it. Reward n praise ven she performs d right move. Remember 2 gv a consistent command (shake) and/ or hand signal (offering ur hand).

Roll over - easier 2 show den explain. 1st hv 2 figure out her natural rolling side, left or right…d side where she usually leans 2 ven lying down. If she leans towards her right (whilst lying down), den hold treat in ur closed palm, let her sniff it n move ur hand in a circle from her nose 2 her arm n round 2 d back of her shoulders from ur right 2 left. If she loves d treat, she’ll follow d treat n turn over on her back. Bring ur hand over d other side 2 get her 2 complete d roll over.

With lotsa patience, training n praise, she’ll soon get d hang of it. Good luck . Btw, wat’s ur pup’s name?

Feeling groovy? ... den take a peek at 'GroovyDogsJustWannaHvFun'

(This post was edited by groovemaster on Oct 8, 2005, 3:33 AM)

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 10, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #5 of 16 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groovemaster] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Thx for the reply again... My pup name is QQ..

Most of my housemates r dog lover oso n very sayang my QQ, but i think better dun let her run around the house when i not in bcoz she really very fren wif my housemate n she wil run into their room n 'spot check' very corner.. so better dun afraid they wil angry o unhappy..

Ya, i playing fetch wif my QQ but she wil chase the ball for few times only then she stop n go away together wif the ball.. mayb tired.. Crazy

Emm.. for the 'roll over' i not very understand.. Blush anyway thx for ur sharing.. mayb teach her hand 1st..

my QQ quite stubborn de.. sometime when she unhappy, calling her name she oso pretend like didnt hear it.. haiz... Sly

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #6 of 16 (3712 views)
Shortcut

ah_fang

Roll over is easy to teach but slightly harder to make ur dog understand what u want in the initial stage, but with lots of patient & consistency, ur dog will perform very well & this will amaze ur other housemates & even visitors!

well in order to start, ask ur dog to down. It is easier if u can ask for help from a fren so that he can help u to maintain the dog in down position & give a slight push to make her roll over.

ok, go back to the topic. ones u ask ur dog down, show her the treat slightly below her nose, he will sniff on the treat right? (better buy a better 1 if he doesnt haha) then slowly move the treat towards the back. (take note: move to the direction where his hind leg lies on, left or right) Most probably he will turn the head to the back (following the treat) then ask ur fren to help roll the dog over (opposite direction from where the dog turn his head). dont forget to move the treats accordingly when he is rolling over! the treats is to lure the dog to the correct direction. After rolling over maintain the dog in down position, give the treat & praise a lot!!

In short, a dog will sneaf on treat he likes. so use the treat as a lure, let him sniff & turn the head from front to back, & lure the treat to make him roll over, thats all.

hmm... wonder do i make things more confusing or clear? Tongue

Regards,

Yang

janiceC

Oct 23, 2005, 7:45 PM

Post #7 of 16 (3711 views)
Shortcut

hi,ah fang,

my shih tzu oso called QQ..Winkshe's 7 months old now..n she's stubborn tooCrazy
www.dogster.com/?210313

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2005, 11:09 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

leecy,

ya.. can understand now.. thx..

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2005, 11:13 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janiceC] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Janice,

Nice to know ur shin tzu oso called QQ.. can make them bcome 'twin'.. Tongue

actually in mandarin my pup is called 'small Q' in english call QQ.. (hehe... juz like our human.. got english n chinese name..)

Mind to tell me where u stay? mayb can meet up 1 day.. Wink

janiceC

Oct 25, 2005, 1:32 AM

Post #10 of 16 (3691 views)
Shortcut

haha..actually her name is cute cute when she was in the petshop..the shopkeeper juzz love her so much..ya lohh.let them have fun together...very nice oh?hahaLaugh

oh..mine dun have chinese name..juz QQ..hehe

i stay in seremban ler..i cant see any ppl from seremban hereUnsurebut nvm ler...

u??
www.dogster.com/?210313

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2005, 6:08 AM

Post #11 of 16 (3690 views)
Shortcut

ah_fang

so are u going to train her roll over? keep us updated wo.. Smile

Regards,

Yang

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 25, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #12 of 16 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Hi..

My bf oso from there but currently we r in PJ.. sometime we oso go back to Seremban.. mind to tell which part of Seremban? My bf is from Rasah Jaya.. last 2 weeks we hv go back there together wif QQ oso.. once arrive the house she like arriving in the playground.. run here n there.. haiz..

Do Seremban there got any petshop?

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 25, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #13 of 16 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] My shin tzu very boring [In reply to] Can't Post

leecy,

emm.. not yet... wanna to teach her 'hand' 1st.. but always do wan to do it.. now at my house got another puppy (i helping the owner to keep it 1st bcoz she went to outstation) he know 'hand' so while i playing 'hand' wif him my QQ not happy.. Crazy

janiceC

Oct 26, 2005, 4:26 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3666 views)
Shortcut

hihi,i stayed in RJ before..but now have shifted to Temiang area..ya..there's a petshop that i go usually for grooming..i bought QQ from there...the shopkeeper doesnt charge me for the grooming(underpaw shaving,nail clipping,ear cleaning,n recently a 'whitening')haha..so good la..cuz he loves QQ so much..n free a snack for qq..heheLaugh

i'm 16 this year..n u?
www.dogster.com/?210313

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Oct 26, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #15 of 16 (3660 views)
Shortcut

Wah! The shopkeeper so nice.. can i hv the address of the petshop? Wanna go there to look look the doggie there.. Tongue

Me is an old lady here.. a bit shy to say up my age.. Blush

From ur avatar, is tat QQ? her fur is light brown + white color rite?

janiceC

Oct 31, 2005, 11:21 PM

Post #16 of 16 (3620 views)
Shortcut

it;s kinda near RJ..when r u coming back to seremban?ya loh.the shopkeeper quite good to the doggies 1..then i apologize for asking ur age wohBlushBlush

ya..that's qq,,she;s light brown n white...urs?

sorry for the late reply ya..the streamyx lohh..couldnt online for fewa days liao..
www.dogster.com/?210313

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my