Chow Chow Dog

yyteik
New User

Oct 6, 2005, 11:12 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Chow Chow Dog Can't Post

Frowneveryone

i went to a pet shop today n saw a very cute chow chow dog. I wanted to adopt it rite away.. but i think i should do some reading 1st.

Seeing chow chow dog fur so thick.. izzit they are not suitable for malaysia wheater? i plan to keep him inside the house... but no air cond lar..

then any care needed to take note??

i heard that they have this tendency to become aggresive once in a year even owner also bite...

what u all think about chow chow?

May
Old Hand

Oct 8, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #2 of 11 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yyteik] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I do have a chow chow. If u really wan a chow chow, u must ask yourself can u spend 2-3 hours weekly to bath your chow. Chow chow have thick fur. Bathing n drying need lots of time and u must make sure the coat is fully dry else your dog will develop skin problem. U must also willing to spare 1 hour or more each day or 2 days once to brush your chow or the coat will be tangle and doesn't look nice. Their thick coat also means that they can easily get heat stroke. Therefore, I keep my chow indoor with aircon n fan 24/7 but I walk her 3 times a day.

Besides, most chow chow are very aggresive. U must make sure your future chow chow puppy have good temperament. I've seen myself chow chow that only allow his owner to touch and will bite strangers' hand. Btw, I have never heard of or encounter with the "once a year aggresive tendency" thingy.

Remember, dog come with big responsiblities especially long coated dog. If you are prepare to spend time on grooming a chow for the next 12 years or so, you will definately love a chow chow Smile Smile

p/s pls dun buy from petshop. Too many reported cases of puppies with health problem from petshops. I would suggest u to buy from reputable breeder.

(This post was edited by May on Oct 8, 2005, 1:15 AM)

yyteik
New User

Oct 8, 2005, 10:42 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

waa.. they will bite stranger wan ar... wa.. chow chow like more responsible than other dogs have...
even golden retriver don have so many task to do...

actually spending time is not a problem... the problem is keeping them happy and comfortable... if they need air cond and fan 24 hours... i think chow chow is not that suitable for me...

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 12, 2005, 7:51 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yyteik] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

chow chow really needs a extreme HIGH maintenance....if not d coat will looks terrible.....

is a big NO NO for me too....Crazy

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

May
Old Hand

Oct 12, 2005, 9:02 PM

Post #5 of 11 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

If u love grooming, you will definately love a chow chow. There are just like a big teddy bear. I never fail to hug my chow every night before I go to sleep....Tongue

Amanda85
Doggyman

Oct 13, 2005, 5:52 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1276 views)
Shortcut

hehe..... actually i hate grooming n i don't like to groom myself also....

tat's why u see my pacco fur looks funny n i hav short hair cut.......

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

ckn_frank
Novice

Oct 18, 2005, 7:26 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1248 views)
Shortcut

hi everyone. i also plan to have 1 chow chow at my home but coz financial problem i need wait until next year january. about basic attitude and behavior i also know but more detial i is dunno. can all chow chow master tell me more detial about? i like grooming coz got my gf help me also hahaha

i would like ask:

1. 0-3 month, 4-6 month and 7-12 month, how many breed each day?

2. how many day need take a bath?

3. if 1 month bring to grooming shop is ok?

lastly, all chow chow owner, u all also no agree buy at pet shop so now who chow chow got baby? can i booking right now?

sorry if i say something wrong~~~!

thank~~!CoolCool

May
Old Hand

Oct 18, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckn_frank] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I'm happy to know u are oso a chow chow lover. If you want to keep your chow chow's coat in tip top condition, it is advisable to bath your chow twice a week with good quality shampoo. But most ppl will find this difficult and prefer to bath them once a week, it's ok too. Your chow will oso need to be combed at least 2 days once or if you have the time combing everyday is better. Comb your chow thoroughly and make sure no tangle and matt and combing is very important during the shedding season. This will take about 1-2 hours depending on how thick is the coat.

I don't see why you need to bring your chow to petshop for grooming. If u know and can do the basic grooming i.e. nail trimming, ear cleaning, bathing etc, you can definately groom your chow on your own. Chow chow's coat doesn't need any clipping or trimming.

As I said, if you love grooming you will definately love a chow chow. Good luck to you!!!

(This post was edited by May on Oct 18, 2005, 7:59 PM)

ckn_frank
Novice

Oct 20, 2005, 8:44 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1229 views)
Shortcut

may, u have many chow chow? can give me e-mail? u have any chow chow baby on next year? may i booking? hahahah

thank u msg

May
Old Hand

Oct 20, 2005, 9:14 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ckn_frank] Chow Chow Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I only have 1 female with very good temperament but I'm not going to breed her.

ckn_frank
Novice

Oct 21, 2005, 6:18 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1218 views)
Shortcut

but i hope have 1 male woh~~~~! can u find for me who got male chow chow?

thank~~~!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my