Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits?

buckieluck
Novice

Sep 28, 2005, 1:15 AM

Post #1 of 6 (753 views)
Shortcut
Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits? Can't Post

Hi

Buckie is 6 mths old and I think he is changing his teeth. He used to finish off his meal but just last 3 days, he started to despise his food. Once I saw him sniffing and grabbing a piece of the premium biscuit but I could see he was trying hard to chew it. The next moment he saw the food again, he just walked away.

I even gave few pieces of cooked pork and chicken. He ate them but the process of chewing is quite slow.

Is this normal?
--------------------------------------------------------
Siberian Husky + Silky Terrier = My Buckie
Add Buckie in your Dogster : www.dogster.com/?187451

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2005, 11:05 PM

Post #2 of 6 (744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckieluck] Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Very normal for dogs to go off their food a bit when "teething" ... during the teething priod, gums get tender.

Change from dry food to something freshly prepared - such as chicken or other meats etc (Use Search Function - and check the threads on how to feed freshly prepared or raw foods).

Might also be a good time to learn a bit about feeding something other than just kibble.

But you say your dog is 6months old ... hmmm ... dogs usually start changing teeth from 4/5months onwards.

You might like to have a look inside your dog's mouth and make sure everything is ok ... Make your dog is only "changing" teeth and does not have any other problem.

Cheers

buckieluck
Novice

Sep 29, 2005, 11:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I should mix the meals with chicken and pork but will he be spoilt after that? I heard people telling that dogs will not be eating kibbles once he tastes good food. I'm very worried about that. By the way are fried eggs harmful to dogs?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 29, 2005, 11:44 PM

Post #4 of 6 (736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckieluck] Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah ...

You wrote: " ... Maybe I should mix the meals with chicken and pork but will he be spoilt after that? I heard people telling that dogs will not be eating kibbles once he tastes good food. I'm very worried about that ..."

Well, there is nothing wrong with giving your dog "good food" ... or freshly prepared foods ...

Feed a dog well and the dog will stay healthy & strong ... the dog will have less problems, have better teeth, coat & skin, better health all round - which means less vet visits & less vet fees ... So maybe feeding good food will save you money in the long run.

Do some research and see if you agree with the people who support feeding fresh or raw foods to dogs (rather than kibble or dry dog food). And then decide which you would like to do.

Fried eggs??? ... hmmm ... well, if you do not add any salt or other spices ... and you use good oil (eg: olive oil) - you can cook the egg before giving to dog.

But better to just give the egg raw. At 6months - you can even feed the egg with the shell. Just remember to wash the egg properly first. You can give raw eggs twice a week.

Cheers

PS - USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION & read the posts on diet & nutrition for dogs.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 23, 2005, 12:35 AM

Post #5 of 6 (698 views)
Shortcut

Frownbuckieluck

rather than giving fried egg or raw egg, why not consider boiled egg?

especially now during bird flu disease period, it is not advisable to consume any raw materials especially eggs. Smile

Frown

Regards,

Yang

buckieluck
Novice

Dec 11, 2005, 9:41 PM

Post #6 of 6 (642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Changing teeth causes no appetite on biscuits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Heya!!

Just to let you know that Buckie has grown thru this stage. Now he eats all his kibbles!! Guess this is another phase of a dog's life.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my