Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Looking for Flat Dog

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 23, 2005, 11:23 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Looking for Flat Dog Can't Post

I'm looking for a dog to live with me in a flat, and I'd appreciate suggestions about breeds which meet most of the following criteria:

1 Smallish size, but not necessarily a toy dog

2 Doesn't bark too much/not a loud barker/can be trained to keep quiet

3 Shortish hair - doesn't require daily grooming; but two or three times a week is ok; and should not be a heavy shedder

4 Laid back personality when indoors, but reasonably perky when taken outdoors

5 Doesn't need huge amounts of exercise. Pooch will be taken out for a short stroll almost every day. However, pooch should also enjoy a long ramble occasionally, treks in the jungle &c &c

Thanks,

Pangur Ban

shirelo
Dog Kichi

Sep 24, 2005, 1:26 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Looking for Flat Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Pug, I think is a best choice, cox I having a pug & I live in condo.
Frown

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 24, 2005, 2:38 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shirelo] Looking for Flat Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Shirelo:

The pug was one of the breeds I was considering but then I learnt:

1 It sheds copious amounts of hair
2 It doesn't tolerate heat very well.

Do you take your pug go kaikai or not? How does he deal with the heat & humidity and what is your experience with shedding?

Pangur Bán

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 24, 2005, 3:37 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1405 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

i have a pug too, her name is sookie, and we live in a flat... Wink

yes there will be shedding but the amount differs from pug to pug, i believe... only thing i do is vacuum more often! Laugh

i bring sookie out for walks every evening and that is the time she does her business too... at times when she don't get her walks due to rain or when i get home late, she will know to do her business at a designated spot in the house... you will have to spend some time on training...

as long as you don't leave the pug under the sun for too long, they will not have much problem with the heat... they are not as bad with heat as many people may think... but pugs are definitely indoor dogs...

they hardly bark, which is really important for us living in flats/ condos... sookie barks only when she senses someone outside behind closed doors... but then again their barks are not high pitch but for me it's enough to tell people to stay away...

take some time to do a little more research on pugs to help you decide... all the best! Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 26, 2005, 5:23 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Looking for Flat Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

ai_ney:

Thanks for your advice.

I'm going to sleep on it for a while. The pug is a cutie, I still read everywhere that it shedsLOTS. Worried about that. And I do want a doggie that will go kaikai with me;running as well. I'm afraid pug will pengsan.

Pangur Bán

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 26, 2005, 6:44 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1380 views)
Shortcut

no problem...

ah, u want a dog to go running with u as well? then u r right. a pug will sure pengsan! Laugh i remember once i took sookie for a walk, she stopped half way, lied down on the pavement, panting heavily, and refused to move another inch! ended up i had to carry her back! Crazy but now she has better stamina, so she's used to walks...

all the best in finding a running mate! Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 26, 2005, 7:53 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1371 views)
Shortcut

if u wan a dog that is active n can run....terrier will suit u more....for example a Jack Russell Terrier....

but do remember that active dog needs DAILY exercise....not onli during weekends when you are free...

terrier tends to bark...more than pug ofcoz....but anyway, if u train ur dog n don't cage him up...wit enough exercise to tired him.....barking can be control....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Sep 27, 2005, 4:25 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Looking for Flat Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Amanda85:

I don't think a Jack Russell would suit me - energy levels way too high, and I can't take him go kaikai religiously every single day. I'm looking at the miniature schnauzer at the moment. Finger's crossed it's the right-ish sort of dog. Will likely move out to a house with a garden next year-ish, so doggie will have more space too.

Cheers,

Pangur Bán

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 22, 2005, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1265 views)
Shortcut

Hey shirelo:

I noticed in another thread you said you lived at Perdana Condo. Have you had any problems with neighbours, the security guards and the management? I'm at Perdana Condo too and I'm bringing a Min Schnauzer home in a couple of weeks. I intend to take him go kai kai regularly management or no management.

Pangur Bán

shirelo
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1253 views)
Shortcut

Can we talk through email?
My email is shirelooi

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 24, 2005, 10:27 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Hey thanks for your mail.

Unfortunately, your email addie didn't display in full.

Here's mine. Just leave out the spaces in between:

looist @ hotmail . com

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Oct 24, 2005, 10:30 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Bah, that didn't display properly as well. Mine's a hot_mail account.

Pangur Bán

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my