IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
PLZ HELP!!! MIX BREED SHIS TZU WITH SERIOUS SKIN PROBLEM

joanna

Sep 15, 2005, 6:34 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1346 views)
Shortcut
PLZ HELP!!! MIX BREED SHIS TZU WITH SERIOUS SKIN PROBLEM Can't Post

I'm hoping someone here who can somehow helps me out. I have a mix breed shih tzu of nearly 2 years old. At first she is having redness on her skin and then recovers but the itchiness is still there and now she is having a flaky skin somehow like dandruff. Skin is still pinkish and fur is still unborn on the area.

She is having a diet of Eagle (lamb and rice), fish oil with omega 3 and tree oil shammpoo.

I'm really hoping someone can really helps me out since i have took her to the vet and they says that it's normal as it will comes and go away.

My first time having a little doggy, inexperienced and truly hopes someone who has any idea on whats wrong with my little baby girl.

Thanks

Joanna

Hunt Hunt
Dog Kichi

Sep 15, 2005, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanna] PLZ HELP!!! MIX BREED SHIS TZU WITH SERIOUS SKIN PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

dunoo how...? mine one oso having flakes skin problem,but vet said it's common thing,let her heal itself

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 15, 2005, 9:53 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanna, Hunt Hunt] PLZ HELP!!! MIX BREED SHIS TZU WITH SERIOUS SKIN PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

They say the eyes are mirror to the soul ... if so, a dog's coat & skin condition is mirror to its general health & immune system.

Redness & itchiness are very general sympthoms and can be indicative of a whole range of possible problems or ailments, ranging from ... environmental or food allergy (can be floor detergent or too much protein) ... parasitic infestation (whether tick, lice or mange) ... rashes caused by nervousness ... hotspots ... the list goes on.

Suggestion:

(a) First, check and make sure the dog has no ticks, fleas, lice ... just to be safe give the dog a good bath with good anti-tick/flea shampoo ... get a good shampoo, some shampoos are too strong and can itself causing skin issues.

CAUTION: When bathing dogs, ALWAYS wash/rinse off excess shampoo WELL. Dry the dog properly. Left over shampoo or damp fur can cause itching etc in some dogs.

(b) Second, check the place where the dog rests/sleeps, go through the bedding and make sure there are no signs of ticks, fleas etc. If your dog likes to lie down on the floor, make sure that the floor is properly rinsed and clear of detergent & other floor washing shampoo.

(c) Third ... If there are no ticks, fleas or lice ... then consider possibility of food allergy ~ some types of Eagle kibble can be high in protein - maybe you can change to a kibble with lower protein levels. Use SEARCH FUNCTION and read previous postings on how to read kibble labels.

Consider also giving freshly prepared foods - again use SEARCH FUNCTION to get more information.

The above are just general things you can do.

If the itching is bad, or you start seeing pus ... or dog is scratching until bleeding or skin breaks - then take dog to "GOOD" vet for examination. A good vet will carry out the proper tests and examination and will be able to give some idea of what might be causing the itching.

Remember there are vets and there are vets - some are good and others are ... well ... Crazy ...

A good vet also WILL NOT say that excessive scratching and loss of fur is normal ... loss of fur is not natural or normal!

A good vet will take time to answer your questions, and will examine the dog properly - and not just dispense antibiotics or steriod cream without proper examination. A skin scraping may be necessary.

All the best.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 15, 2005, 9:57 PM)

in
Novice

Sep 16, 2005, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanna] PLZ HELP!!! MIX BREED SHIS TZU WITH SERIOUS SKIN PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

My doggie also suffered from flaky skin, so I changed his kibble from Eagle Pack to Avoderm and its OK now. Just try a few brands and pick one that's OK with your dog. Remember, diferent dogs have different reactions.
As for itchiness, he also had a very itching and he was losing his fur. I was recommended to use Missing Link. His itching definately become less within 1 week.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my