Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
red lumps on skin....need HELP!!!

tame
Novice

Sep 13, 2005, 7:10 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2001 views)
Shortcut
red lumps on skin....need HELP!!! Can't Post

this month, my dog suddenly have red lumps on his body...u know those like u were bitten by red ants or stung by a bee...and it seems to be increasing ...

we brought him to the vet, and the vet say might be bitten by something and provide antibotic ....but now the medicine is finished...i found 3 new swollen red spots on his legs and armpits...

and it seems to be itchy...coz i think the fact that he had been scratching and biting on it seems to make it worse...

is there anyway to stop him from scratching? does anybody dogs out there have a similar symptoms..? reallly desperately need help...!!!

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 4:37 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tame] red lumps on skin....need HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

tame

well if it is bitten by something, dont think it will spread. maybe u can try to consult another vet. Smile

Regards,

Yang

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 3:35 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Get your dog to a "good" vet who is prepared to (a) examine your dog properly ~ if necessary take skin scraping for examination, and (b) prepared to give you answers to your questions.

"Red lumps" can mean a whole host of things, without seeing the dog its impossible to tell (it can range from ant bites, to mite bites, to allergy or to the beginnings of hot spots)- a good vet will be able to determine what is the probably cause and provide the appropriate medication/treatment.

Examine the place where your dog rests & plays - and if these places are free from ants and other insects, then the red lumps are not likely to be caused by insect bites. Also check for ticks & fleas.

Even if you find no insects, ticks or fleas - you cannot rule out mites (mange), allergies or such like.

If the spots are getting inflamed and the dog is scratching, and the skin is bleeding - it is high time for immediate veterinary examination.

Trying to stop a dog from scratching is not going to solve the problem - you need to identify the cause and treat the cause, not treat the symptom.

Cheers

josc
Dog Kichi

Nov 9, 2005, 7:35 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1893 views)
Shortcut

hi tame,

not sure whether your dog is recovered. anyway, to stop the dog from scratching,

a) use cotton ball

b) dip into some dettol that is mixed with some warm water

c) clean the infected areas

do it at least once a day. it will stop the dog from scratching and it will also heals the wound.

hope it helps.

More on Nikyi & Xinde @ www.dogster.com/?223131

tame
Novice

Nov 10, 2005, 11:03 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [josc] red lumps on skin....need HELP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey...jz wanna say thanx...

oh so dettol can work, maybe now i can stop some of his itchiness...:)

thanx again

(This post was edited by tame on Nov 10, 2005, 11:07 PM)

josc
Dog Kichi

Nov 12, 2005, 7:32 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1864 views)
Shortcut

u r welcome.

my baby gal occassionally will have this red lump between her toes or neck. After applied for about 3 days, the swell will reduce, dried up n drop.

Brought her to see doc when I first time discovered it. Doc gave antibiotic pill. After that, it's gone but some how after few months it appears again. So, I tried n finally found that Dettol is the best.

Now, even I use it myself for mosquito bites. Effective leh to stop itchiness.

And of coz economical ha!!!

More on Nikyi & Xinde @ www.dogster.com/?223131

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my