Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Ruscal barking for attention?????

stacey
Novice

Sep 12, 2005, 8:30 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Ruscal barking for attention????? Can't Post

Hi, My 8weeks old GR puppy is behaving very naughty and stubborn... He barks when he is "caged" up in the kitchen at night.i have trained him to pee on a rubber mat... so before i go to sleep , i leave two rubber mats for him to pee pee on at night. during the day , i leave him running around the apartment.. my family would be there to watch over him.. but when we sleep he'll be caged in the kitchen..but he insisit on sleeping in the toilet.but the toilet is too small for him to sleep n do his "business"..if left in the toilet...when he wants to pee or poo... he barks to be let out to pee n poo in the middle of night...

I live in an apartment.. i am afraid my neighbours would complain about his barking...then i'lll have to give him up... help me before tragedy happens...I am also very deprieved of sleep these days..Any advise??

(This post was edited by stacey on Sep 12, 2005, 8:31 PM)

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2005, 10:27 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stacey] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

stacey

do u ever let the dog out when he being noisy? if so, he might feel that if he is noisy, he will able to get out from there.

try to make the place more interesting, maybe u can put some toys inside, or some clothes to make the place more comfortable.

never let him out when he is noisy, wait until he calm down 1st so that he wil have the impression of he will only be let out if he is quiet.

anyway there are dogs who simply cant be caged, they will bark & howl all the time as long as they are crated. so u dont have choice but to train ur dog not to destroy stuffs, then u need not to crate the dog anymore.

wish ur dog will be a good dog 1 day. Smile

Regards,

Yang

joanch
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2005, 6:37 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3264 views)
Shortcut

hello,
i got my puppy at 8-10 weeks old too.
when i put him inside a hexa-playpen, he bark and howl. he looked at my eyes.
but i pretend like i didnt hear anything at all, dont give him any eye contactFrown,this is major, be very silence.
after 2 weeks, he dont bark when i put him in the playpen. i bet its better to train him to be in the cage as early as possible since your puppy is still so young... if not, it will be a big problem next time when you 'really' in emergency to cage him.
you just need to be 'cold' sometimes if you want a good behaved dog.
[this is what i think, not according to any resources, just from the vet]
I have a Papillon and an Australian Silky Terrier. One sheds and the other one needs grooming quite a lot

marie lim
New User

Aug 29, 2006, 9:47 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3059 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi, My 8weeks old GR puppy is behaving very naughty and stubborn... He barks when he is "caged" up in the kitchen at night.i have trained him to pee on a rubber mat... so before i go to sleep , i leave two rubber mats for him to pee pee on at night. during the day , i leave him running around the apartment.. my family would be there to watch over him.. but when we sleep he'll be caged in the kitchen..but he insisit on sleeping in the toilet.but the toilet is too small for him to sleep n do his "business"..if left in the toilet...when he wants to pee or poo... he barks to be let out to pee n poo in the middle of night...

I live in an apartment.. i am afraid my neighbours would complain about his barking...then i'lll have to give him up... help me before tragedy happens...I am also very deprieved of sleep these days..Any advise??

Hi,I have 2 puppies which will bark every morning at 7am. Normally in the morning, i will feed them before i go to class. I really notice that my neighbours doesn't like my 2 pupies, and what should I do in order to make my neighbour happy and my puppies happy.

At the same time i think my 2 puppies need so attention. Yesterday one of the puppies did not want to let me go....i was rushing for class, and he started to growling.

I really need some advice.

Regards Marie

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 31, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #5 of 11 (3052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marie lim] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

my dog oso bark around 7am...coz she wanna pee...

so in order to prevent her frm start barking n disturb everybody....i'll wake up at 6.45am everyday i bring her out frm d cage b4 she start d noise....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 31, 2006, 2:30 AM)

nikeong
Novice

Sep 15, 2006, 6:14 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 4 months cocker which likes to bark no stop just for attention so now whenever i put hi in the cage I would put on his muzzle and the bark is not that loud just not to let him disturb my neighbour. I hope he will learn not to bark in a week or two.Guys out there any remedy on this problem? How about sleeping pills?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2006, 7:03 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nikeong] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

never ever try giving drugs to ur dogs....

actually u shld try to feed ur dog in d cage n lock her in cage for a shorter time....for example juz 5 min...b4 she start making noise....n then onli gradually increase d duration...

but if ur using a muzzle....then u can opt for this way.....try putting her in cage....n if she start to make noise....ask her to stop, if she still persist, then put muzzle on her as a punishment....

so later after some time she'll learn that if she dun keep quiet, she'll b muzzled..

p/s : never ever entertain her or release her when she's barking....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

flowerremi
Novice

Sep 15, 2006, 7:14 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3012 views)
Shortcut

You also want to "put him to sleep" just like Wozza? Laugh

sorry, dat was meant to be a cold joke. When my dog barks, it is always for some reasons. I will hold him, hug him tightly to me, tell him to be "quiet", make the sound ''shih..." to him, tell him everything is ok... keep repeating the word "quiet" etc etc etc. He will soon calm down. Please note, dogs are alert, they think, they want to express themself, meaning that they tell you what they want. I think we can try to communicate to each other, by you telling him everything is going to be fine, calming him down, ask him to not bark etc etc etc. If your dog bark for your attention, I don see why cant you give him a little attention, after that, tell him to be quiet, patiently. These act must be repeated. After some times, I think your dog will LISTEN to you and you two will understand each other more. Trust me, they all 'think'. They are intelligent creature. Just like human, they have feelings and emotions. Don try funny means like "sleeping pill".

Just my personal view. No offense. Cheers

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2007, 2:02 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flowerremi] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You also want to "put him to sleep" just like Wozza? Laugh

sorry, dat was meant to be a cold joke. When my dog barks, it is always for some reasons. I will hold him, hug him tightly to me, tell him to be "quiet", make the sound ''shih..." to him, tell him everything is ok... keep repeating the word "quiet" etc etc etc. He will soon calm down. Please note, dogs are alert, they think, they want to express themself, meaning that they tell you what they want. I think we can try to communicate to each other, by you telling him everything is going to be fine, calming him down, ask him to not bark etc etc etc. If your dog bark for your attention, I don see why cant you give him a little attention, after that, tell him to be quiet, patiently. These act must be repeated. After some times, I think your dog will LISTEN to you and you two will understand each other more. Trust me, they all 'think'. They are intelligent creature. Just like human, they have feelings and emotions. Don try funny means like "sleeping pill".

Just my personal view. No offense. Cheers

flowerremi..

have to see wat attention ur doggie wants. if its attention in the nite, then ignore the doggie. if not, the doggie will tink tat if he/she barks in nite, then attention is given. then soon, nite is day

My beloved Molly looks like MooMooo

My beloved Snoopy makes 1 of the funniest beagle in the world

My beloved Lassie is the teh-est sheltie although he is a male !

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

| Husky Zai : 24 Jan 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Jewelleries Online

Photography Business Website coming up soon ^^

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2007, 2:08 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2922 views)
Shortcut

nikeong..

how ur cocker now? still on the prob?

i don tink muzzle gives a permanent solution. try the method tat whenever ur cutie barks, close the upper and lower jaws with both ur hands and say 'shhhh' + treat if he quiets down.

try tis few times until he really can understand.

the nex time, when he want to bark, try just say "Shhhh" with a stern look into the eyes. When just need to say shhh, then he quiets down, then is success.

if still not on voice command oni, then continue wth the hand close mouth one..

Frown Molly Gal : 16 June 2007 | Snoopy Zai : 4 Jan 2010 | Lassie Zai : 23 April 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SupaMolly
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2007, 2:17 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marie lim] Ruscal barking for attention????? [In reply to] Can't Post

marie lim..

how ur cuties now? still cant damai wit neighbors?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my