Diarrhoea

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 12, 2005, 7:29 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Diarrhoea Can't Post

Hi all

My dog had a diarrhoea for 2 days but only the first poo poo in the morning and all other poo poo during after meals is ok. My breeder gave her a Sukoban, i guess it's how it's called, diarrhoea medicine, and then the next day her poo poo gets non watery n her tummy feels better but this morning there's no poo poo at all after meal, hhmm ....... do dogs have unscheduled poo poo time ? Just wondering.

Thanks

Yours in the World of Animal,
Woof Woof

Amanda85
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 8:32 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [woof] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm not sure whether dog have schedule poo poo anot...

but both of my dog poo three times a day....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 3:26 AM

Post #3 of 14 (1216 views)
Shortcut

When a dog has "wet poop" that is a sign that something may not be correct. When a dog has continuous diarrhoea - that is a serious signal that something is not right ...

When dogs (and humans) feel the urge to pass watery poop, it usually means that there is something irritating the stomach or digestive system (for example: food poisoning or indigestable food etc) ... basically it means that some form of irritant or toxin is gathering in the digestive system ... SO - when that happens ~ do you think it is wise to use "sukoban" to stop the passing of stools and trap all the "undesirable stuff" in your dog's digestive system or to just let it pass out???

When you use "medication" that stops diarrhoea, it will also disrupt normal poop routine too ... that is only to be expected.

I think you need to get yourself a good dog book and learn more about your dog. There is no shortcut to learning about dogs and what they need. This forum can give general guidance but you have to do your part and learn in a more consistent and regular manner

Cheers

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 14, 2005, 6:33 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sucrhinmy

OK OK got you, hehe, u got a point there.

So what's the best thing to do in case a dog go Diarrhoea ?

Any good book u can recommend ?

In Reply To
When a dog has "wet poop" that is a sign that something may not be correct. When a dog has continuous diarrhoea - that is a serious signal that something is not right ...

When dogs (and humans) feel the urge to pass watery poop, it usually means that there is something irritating the stomach or digestive system (for example: food poisoning or indigestable food etc) ... basically it means that some form of irritant or toxin is gathering in the digestive system ... SO - when that happens ~ do you think it is wise to use "sukoban" to stop the passing of stools and trap all the "undesirable stuff" in your dog's digestive system or to just let it pass out???

When you use "medication" that stops diarrhoea, it will also disrupt normal poop routine too ... that is only to be expected.

I think you need to get yourself a good dog book and learn more about your dog. There is no shortcut to learning about dogs and what they need. This forum can give general guidance but you have to do your part and learn in a more consistent and regular manner

Cheers

Woof Woof

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 7:19 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Good books are not meant to replace a "good vet" ...

But good books do however serve 2 primary purposes:

(a) Good books give us points of reference; from which we can acquire general & useful information & knowledge about our dogs. It's where we should all start. Once we have acquired this basic information, we can then have serious & much more meaningful discussion with others, about what is best for our dogs; rather than just ask ~ "how ar???"

(b) Good books also serve as emergency references, when we cannot find or locate the immediate assistance we need.

For basic veterinary needs ~ suggest the following:

Homeopathic care:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/155643295X/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/104-0235412-8839949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Conventional veterinary care:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0876052014/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/104-0235412-8839949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Read the reviews ~ and decide which is suitable. You can also follow the links to other similar books before you decide which to get.

For "GENERAL" cases of diarrhoea:

(1) Just let the dog be and let all the "bad stuff" come out ASAP.

(2) Give the dog plenty of clean warm water to drink & prevent dehydration (passing watery stools depleted the dog's body of water).

(3) No feeding (in the wild, animals usually and quite naturally ~ fast themselves when not well, so as to allow all their bodily energy to concentrate on finding & eradicating cause of discomfort or illness). Allow the dog to rest and stay calm.

Then monitor, in most cases, once the bad stuff comes out, the dog will stabalise & return to normal.

BUT if the diarrhoea appears to be very severe (as in with violent heaving of stomach), or occurs very frequently, or the dog is in obvious discomfort or pain - then you know it is something more serious and its straight off to the VET IMMEDIATELY.

Cheers

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 14, 2005, 7:33 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1198 views)
Shortcut

woof

hmm.. maybe ur dog juz eat the medicine so the schedule disturbed? normally they will poo at least once a day wo. Smile

Regards,

Yang

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2005, 5:22 AM

Post #7 of 14 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Fast ur dog for 24 hour. Give the medication that ur breeder recomend you "Scourban" I think the spelling is right Just follow the guideline writen on the label. Double the dosage for the first time ya. Encourage ur dog drink more water.

The next day your dog should be no problem with diarrhea anymoreSly

Hope this help you solve the problemWink

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 15, 2005, 10:06 PM

Post #8 of 14 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

Yang ah,

I think you are right ler, but now thanksfully my Lovie {her name} is back to normal la, pangsai also soon soon n on time right after makan. Thanks u.

Appettite somemore increase liau and i only keep it for one week, can see growth in her ler, GR really grow fast man, wow.

Surchinmy is really right, need to let her rest n let out all alienated food. TQ

In Reply To
woof

hmm.. maybe ur dog juz eat the medicine so the schedule disturbed? normally they will poo at least once a day wo. Smile

Woof Woof

woof
Dog Kichi

Sep 15, 2005, 10:09 PM

Post #9 of 14 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot Surchinmy !!

Always learn a lot from your enlighting reply, will follow your good advice.

In Reply To
Good books are not meant to replace a "good vet" ...

But good books do however serve 2 primary purposes:

(a) Good books give us points of reference; from which we can acquire general & useful information & knowledge about our dogs. It's where we should all start. Once we have acquired this basic information, we can then have serious & much more meaningful discussion with others, about what is best for our dogs; rather than just ask ~ "how ar???"

(b) Good books also serve as emergency references, when we cannot find or locate the immediate assistance we need.

For basic veterinary needs ~ suggest the following:

Homeopathic care:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/155643295X/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/104-0235412-8839949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Conventional veterinary care:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0876052014/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/104-0235412-8839949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Read the reviews ~ and decide which is suitable. You can also follow the links to other similar books before you decide which to get.

For "GENERAL" cases of diarrhoea:

(1) Just let the dog be and let all the "bad stuff" come out ASAP.

(2) Give the dog plenty of clean warm water to drink & prevent dehydration (passing watery stools depleted the dog's body of water).

(3) No feeding (in the wild, animals usually and quite naturally ~ fast themselves when not well, so as to allow all their bodily energy to concentrate on finding & eradicating cause of discomfort or illness). Allow the dog to rest and stay calm.

Then monitor, in most cases, once the bad stuff comes out, the dog will stabalise & return to normal.

BUT if the diarrhoea appears to be very severe (as in with violent heaving of stomach), or occurs very frequently, or the dog is in obvious discomfort or pain - then you know it is something more serious and its straight off to the VET IMMEDIATELY.

Cheers

Woof Woof

ilya
Novice

Jan 7, 2006, 12:07 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Feed your dog a bowl of steam rice, plain. Its what my vet suggests and it works.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2006, 6:16 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1065 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi all

My dog had a diarrhoea for 2 days but only the first poo poo in the morning and all other poo poo during after meals is ok. My breeder gave her a Sukoban, i guess it's how it's called, diarrhoea medicine, and then the next day her poo poo gets non watery n her tummy feels better but this morning there's no poo poo at all after meal, hhmm ....... do dogs have unscheduled poo poo time ? Just wondering.

Thanks

How is your dog doing? Next time, you could give some watered down yoghurt or some pumpkin both works very well without any side effects.

Dog will poop when needed; thus, it depends on the food you feed and how much they can digest (absorb) of it. Logically, kibbles will produce the highest amount of poop and BARF diet the lowest. My dog will poop not even daily and the amount is a little more then the sizes of a cigarette pack only.

woof
Dog Kichi

Jan 9, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Joe,

Always good to hear from you bro.

Well, she is all well already, that's months ago. Now she got really healthy poo.

Anyway i read somewhere that Barf diet will produce very little poo n not daily poo as it's not well digested in the stomach, but some said it produce little poo bekoz most of the good ingredients is absorbed into the dog, so there's not much to be expose off.

What do u think Joe ?

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hi all

Thanks

How is your dog doing? Next time, you could give some watered down yoghurt or some pumpkin both works very well without any side effects.

Dog will poop when needed; thus, it depends on the food you feed and how much they can digest (absorb) of it. Logically, kibbles will produce the highest amount of poop and BARF diet the lowest. My dog will poop not even daily and the amount is a little more then the sizes of a cigarette pack only.

Woof Woof

woof
Dog Kichi

Jan 9, 2006, 7:03 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ilya] Diarrhoea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ilya,

Thanks for dropping by, my Lovie is all well now.

Thanks a lot for the concern

Hope to hear from u in my next post.

In Reply To
Feed your dog a bowl of steam rice, plain. Its what my vet suggests and it works.

Woof Woof

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jan 9, 2006, 7:34 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1054 views)
Shortcut

The latter is right. The nutrients in BARF diet are easily digested and not much is wasted; thus, the dog produces very little poop. It comes out very compact and takes care of the cleaning of the anal gland at the same time. That is the beauty of BARF diet, it is very healthy, very easy and vets do not like it (loss of business). Wink BTW, it takes care of oral hygiene as well and you would be surprised how white canine teeth can be, that dogs do not have bad breath nor any doggy smell and you will love the shine of the coat.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my