Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Dominant Dog Issues:
our new dog wants to own the place, what to do?

Wozzza
Novice

Sep 12, 2005, 12:14 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4383 views)
Shortcut
our new dog wants to own the place, what to do? Can't Post

we have a west white highland terrier male, 12 months old, had it since it was a puppy. he is over active. we decided to get another dog a few days ago, a keeshond, female 18 months old. i dont know whether these two dogs like each other and are playing or what is going on but they are always chasing each other, biting each other and barking at each other for half the day and its getting really annoying. the keeshond is about twice the size of the westy and will win all the time. the keeshond has come into our back yard and thinks she owns the place after the first day and the westy cant do anything about it. the keeshond has kicked the westy out of his dog house and wont let him near it again. the toys we gave the westy over the last 12 months, the keeshond has taken control of them and wont let the westy near them again. when ever the west tries to go near them, the keeshond growls and her face goes all mean looking and starts barking at the westy and when the westy gets one of his own toys back, its on again, barking, biting each other. when they do this, the biting doesnt seem hard, almost as if they are playing fairly hard but im not sure. they both seem to remove fur form each other as they have chunks of fur in their mouths sometimes. same thing goes when we are feeding them. we have to both go out there and feed them and keep them seperate with sepereate dishes else its on again.
basically i have no idea on what to do about it. any advice on what to do? whether this is normal behaviour and if it will settle down or not? or what to do? im getting worried here.

i will add, they are both desexed. and when ever one of us go out the back, they start acting like angels when we start speaking to them. when they get tired, this is about the only time they stop playing up.

(This post was edited by Wozzza on Sep 12, 2005, 12:21 AM)

Kayzhond
New User

Sep 12, 2005, 3:45 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wozzza] our new dog wants to own the place, what to do? [In reply to] Can't Post

KeesTalk is a new discussion forum for Keeshond owners, breeders, exhibitors, rescuers, and everyone who loves the Keeshond. Simply go to www.keestalk.net/forum to register and in a few minutes you can be chatting with Kees owners from around the globe.

-Elizabeth

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 12, 2005, 10:21 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wozzza] our new dog wants to own the place, what to do? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wozzza

when i introduce a new dog into my house, same thing happen too. but anyway, after some times, things getting better. ur case is different as mine as my initial dog is larger & get jealous, not new comer. so i will always give priority to the initial dogs for eg. let her eat 1st. to let her know she is still the most we love. times passes then she start to share.

maybe u can take away all the toys & let them play together when u r there? as u said they are like angels when they saw u.. Smile

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 13, 2005, 10:00 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4348 views)
Shortcut

YES, that is normal for dogs, especially when no leader is around. They just try to establish a hierarchy and/or challenge an existing one.

Remove all the toys and let them do things before you grant the toy for a short period of time. They have to learn that a toy is a reward and that this reward has to be earned and most of all that you are the alpha and in total control.Feeding regime is much easier to settle. Each dog has his own bowl and you just enforce that taking food from the other bowl is a clear NO GO and not tolerated.

Wozzza
Novice

Sep 14, 2005, 3:08 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] our new dog wants to own the place, what to do? [In reply to] Can't Post

ok cool, i can try these things thanks.

another problem now, the new dog is starting to dig holes trying to get under the path that runs from the back door to the cloth line for what ever reason i dont know, it wont achieve anything. any advice on how to stop it doing this?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 14, 2005, 8:40 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4338 views)
Shortcut

Maybe you should call the CSI team to search for a carcass?LaughLaugh

Some dogs like to dig and others not. If you have a digger then nothing much can be done to change that. However, you can give him a spot in your garden to release his energy without destroying everything.Say NO when he is at the wrong spot and take him straight to the right spot. Praise him for digging there. You could make this spot even more enticing to him. Let him “find” some treasure (treats, toys, etc.) and in a very short time this spot will be the most favored digging spot. If this is not an option for you then you have to channel his energy into other activities, e.g. agility trials

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my