Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
Rottweiler vs Cane Corso

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 9, 2005, 5:34 AM

Post #1 of 44 (15506 views)
Shortcut
Rottweiler vs Cane Corso Can't Post

Hi Friends,

anyone have handling experience with both Cane Corso and Rottweiler? Could you share your experiences with me. I would like to know the differences between these two gorgous breeds of dogs. Esp in their working abilities and temperments.

Is there also any Working breeds owners ard in this forum? (eg. Cane Corso, Dogue de Bordeaux, El Perro de Presa/Dogo Canario, Neapolitan Mastiff and etc)

Best Wishes
Best Wishes

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2005, 9:13 AM

Post #2 of 44 (15497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lex Ang] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Look up raphael. He's got a few presa's, a rott or 2 n I think a dogo.Wink Nice dogs he's got.

I am fond of the working line variety of the presa..but I like good working dogs in general. Unfortunately,can't help u much as I've got no experience owning them.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2005, 10:46 PM

Post #3 of 44 (15482 views)
Shortcut

Lex Ang

well do u plan to get 1 to guard ur house? I intended to get 1 dog to guard my house, any recommendation?

Regards,

Yang

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 10, 2005, 12:58 AM

Post #4 of 44 (15480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leecy,

Its been some time since I last posted here. Was just looking around to see if anything is interesting. Pertaining to your question it is important to evaluate your actual needs when u say "I intended to get 1 dog to guard my house" it can be quite tricky because almost all dogs will bark if they see strangers coming to the house. The untrained ones will bark no end . Once the dog barks he would have been considered an ample watch dog or alarm dogs.

Alternatively some may want a guard dog, meaning a dog that will warn the stranger not to approach and if the intruder indeed comes in, he would then do his job to engage the intruder. This is termed as a property guard dog. If this is what u look for then obviously u have to get the bigger versions like GSD's, Rotts, Mals....etc.

U then have to evaluate your present condition. Do u have children? Old people ....etc...etc before u can fixate on the breed as mentioned above. Some are kinder to children and old people while others are not so easily controllable.

Once u have identified those, remember that "Guard dog's are never born, they are made." This is where commitments and training comes in. Cheers

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 10, 2005, 8:29 AM

Post #5 of 44 (15466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi RealityDreamer,

Of course I didn't miss Raphael out. He did give me alot of great advices.

ooh no worry, at least I know we both love working lines Presa.....Hi 5!!

All the best to you.
Best Wishes

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2005, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 44 (15460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leecy] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

PSD,

Great to see u post. It definitely has been a while Smile

Leecy,

PSD is right. 1 thing I think he 4got to mention is that not every malinois,rott or gsd can guard. Make sure u test the puppy for strong & solid nerves.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 10, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #7 of 44 (15459 views)
Shortcut

Smile Cheers
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 10, 2005, 8:47 AM

Post #8 of 44 (15459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leecy,

ooh you intend to get one to guard your hse? Hmm.. talking about reccomendation, I think it depends on what your need. Like to what extend you want him to guard your property. I am more into the bonding between dogs and owners thru training esp. Protection training, rather than showing the dog. So pls bear with me if I talk to much on it. I will try to shorten it.

If your place is big I think a mixture of breeds will be gd. Coz you will need some to be able to run fast, some with strong jaws and some who are big enough to pin intruders down.

But if you have small yard, I think a majestic looking one will be gd enough to stop ppl from coming in.

What breeds do you have in mind? Actually, I think the breed temperament only give you a general idea. If you want the dog to work for you, you have to put in effort too. P.S. there are also stranger friendly rott, presa, pit bull etc around so I think puppy selection process is also very important.

Hi PSD,

I totally agree with you. Are you a protection dog owner?

Best Wishes
Best Wishes

boon
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2005, 5:21 PM

Post #9 of 44 (15442 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

If your place is big I think a mixture of breeds will be gd. Coz you will need some to be able to run fast, some with strong jaws and some who are big enough to pin intruders down.

But if you have small yard, I think a majestic looking one will be gd enough to stop ppl from coming in.

Be it big or reasonable size of your proterty, for a agile, strong full bite, nice size to crash the crook down.....hmmmm what about GSD ? All in one....

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 12, 2005, 11:07 PM

Post #10 of 44 (15435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon,

I agree with you, but if your place is too big I always think you should have different breeds of dogs that are extremely gd in various work to cooperate, in order to achieve better results. Like speed/agility wise Doberman, GSD, Malinios are gd choices. Biting Power I will go for Rott, Presa, Tosa.

Another point I will consider is whether the dog suits our tropical region and the maintance of the dog.

I agree that the GSD is a dog with great drive, what I like about him is the long muzzle, thus reduces the chance of getting heat stroke comparing to other short muzzle dogs. But Personally I wouldnt choose GSD as a my guarding choice because of its biting power are not as high as some other breeds I seen. Another point is its longer coat compare to my other choices. I know I won't spend too much time brush their coat, thus I drop the idea of having a GSD.

No offence to anyone, its just my little opinons. I would love to hear from the other friends of this forum too.
Best Wishes

boon
Doggyman

Sep 12, 2005, 11:44 PM

Post #11 of 44 (15430 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Boon,

I agree with you, but if your place is too big I always think you should have different breeds of dogs that are extremely gd in various work to cooperate, in order to achieve better results. Like speed/agility wise Doberman, GSD, Malinios are gd choices. Biting Power I will go for Rott, Presa, Tosa.

Another point I will consider is whether the dog suits our tropical region and the maintance of the dog.

I agree that the GSD is a dog with great drive, what I like about him is the long muzzle, thus reduces the chance of getting heat stroke comparing to other short muzzle dogs. But Personally I wouldnt choose GSD as a my guarding choice because of its biting power are not as high as some other breeds I seen. Another point is its longer coat compare to my other choices. I know I won't spend too much time brush their coat, thus I drop the idea of having a GSD.

No offence to anyone, its just my little opinons. I would love to hear from the other friends of this forum too.

Hi, I respect your view,

but u just need to look harder for the GSD that will bite and the pressure per inch is more than the short muzzle breeds. When i said GSD, i do not relate to those banana black show 'beauty'....

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 3:00 AM

Post #12 of 44 (15413 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chloe,

I just try to catch up whenever I can. The arms are getting a bit rusty and so is the brain I must say. Getting old perhaps....not as strong as I used to be....

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 3:04 AM

Post #13 of 44 (15413 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

I totally agree with you. Are you a protection dog owner?

Hi Lex,

Nah.....I'm just a rusty fella having too much to do. Dogs are a big hobby for me and I was once active in the sports of SchH.

PSD

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 13, 2005, 7:26 AM

Post #14 of 44 (15403 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi, I respect your view,

but u just need to look harder for the GSD that will bite and the pressure per inch is more than the short muzzle breeds. When i said GSD, i do not relate to those banana black show 'beauty'....

Yes Boon, I believe no matter what breed we are choosing, we really need to spend time choosing them. I do come across very timid and friendly Presa Canario.

Cheers! I do not qualify to join the clan of showing beautiful dogs too. Can I check with you what are you working your dogs on?
Best Wishes

Lex Ang
Novice

Sep 13, 2005, 7:31 AM

Post #15 of 44 (15402 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Lex,

Nah.....I'm just a rusty fella having too much to do. Dogs are a big hobby for me and I was once active in the sports of SchH.

Hi PSD,

No no, you dont sound that 'rusty' to me...Smile ooh yeah, dogs are also a big hobby of mine. Are you too busy that why you stop your SchH?
Best Wishes

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 8:07 AM

Post #16 of 44 (15394 views)
Shortcut

" was once active in the sports of SchH. ".......ur not into it no more...? Frown

I hope in the future...u get to slow down n become an active participant again. We need more ppl like u!
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

(This post was edited by RealityDreamer on Sep 13, 2005, 8:09 AM)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #17 of 44 (15387 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lex,

Was thinking abt ur post..n i started out like u too. But I always considered Presa's my first choice coz of their temperamant,bite,looks n short coat. But good ones are difficult to find.

Then rotts crossed my mind..so say IF i had access to good presa's. The choice would be still them because the rotts hv a longer coat n i'm being superficial here but i like the presa's look much more Blush

A good presa combined with a sharp dog would make a good team(perhaps a dobe,another of my fav). Then hv 1 or 2 GSD or mals for sport and a lil pitbull for a pet....aahhh....my perfect family Laugh
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 4:04 PM

Post #18 of 44 (15384 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Lex,

Was thinking abt ur post..n i started out like u too. But I always considered Presa's my first choice coz of their temperamant,bite,looks n short coat. But good ones are difficult to find.

Then rotts crossed my mind..so say IF i had access to good presa's. The choice would be still them because the rotts hv a longer coat n i'm being superficial here but i like the presa's look much more Blush

A good presa combined with a sharp dog would make a good team(perhaps a dobe,another of my fav). Then hv 1 or 2 GSD or mals for sport and a lil pitbull for a pet....aahhh....my perfect family Laugh

Hi Chloe,

You're one of a kind......

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 5:59 PM

Post #19 of 44 (15378 views)
Shortcut

PSD

GR.. hmm.. actually i kinda like GR but i heard that GR are too frenly & not suitable to guard is it true? correct me if im wrong as i dont know much abt how to train a guard dog etc.. Smile

Regards,

Yang

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 6:03 PM

Post #20 of 44 (15377 views)
Shortcut

RealityDreamer

erm, how to test? Crazy

Regards,

Yang

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #21 of 44 (15367 views)
Shortcut

lolSly

for now..that is my family...no kids or husband in mind Tongue
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 9:54 PM

Post #22 of 44 (15366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Rottweiler vs Cane Corso [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leecy,

It'd be a lot easier to train dogs that were bred for guard work. I.e. a retriever for retrieving,a pointer for pointing or a working dog (rotts,dobs,mals,gsd etc) for guarding.

As for testing for strong nerves,I would take the puppy to a new place that he has not been to & then make a loud surprising sound(like dropping a metal bowl behind him). a bad reaction would be the pup get surprised & then run away & won't come back when u coach him back. a good reaction would b,he turn his head around & cautiously sniff the thing that made the sound,an acceptable reaction would be he gets surprised,jump abit,butcomes to the place where the surprise took place.Every1 has their own preferred reaction,this is mine..so maybe u could ask the others as well.

U can also search the internet. Google "puppy aptitude test" & i think if I am not mistaken some1 wrote abt it in the forum.Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

boon
Doggyman

Sep 13, 2005, 10:07 PM

Post #23 of 44 (15361 views)
Shortcut

Just some addons on chloe's reply...

i would also like to see the puppy reaction before the loud souce test, let them alone in the new strange place and observe how they behave....then u walk away and hide from their sight...and when u come back to them how they react....

another one would be body posture, they way they carry themselves and interaction among puppies......

may be a pain/stress toleration may also require for top level sport or some PP dogs.

oh yeah how fast do they recover if someting less than present happened to them...

(This post was edited by boon on Sep 13, 2005, 10:10 PM)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 10:49 PM

Post #24 of 44 (15349 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSD,

No no, you dont sound that 'rusty' to me...Smile ooh yeah, dogs are also a big hobby of mine. Are you too busy that why you stop your SchH?
Best Wishes

Yeah u can say that. Used to owned and train up to 7 dogs for the sport or PP at one time but now I had reduced it to only 1 which I'm still keeping in shape for possible SchH trialing. However all have to depend on how much time I can squeeze out from the normal schedule. For now I only do some conditioning work and also stamina work every 2 days just to keep the dog fit......erm......and keep my stomach from bulging too much....CrazyLaugh

PSD

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

Post #25 of 44 (15349 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
" was once active in the sports of SchH. ".......ur not into it no more...? Frown

I hope in the future...u get to slow down n become an active participant again. We need more ppl like u!

Chloe,

I am only 1 person and not that great lah!!! Plenty more better than me and they are doing good job in getting MKA to recognise SchH. If I can find some time I'll surely see what I can do.

PSD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my