Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
A Guide for Dogs ' Training Your Owner To Be Obedient

adrian
Novice

Mar 22, 2002, 5:12 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1861 views)
Shortcut
A Guide for Dogs ' Training Your Owner To Be Obedient Can't Post

Owner training is so simple. Owner training should begin at an early age. Your early stage.

"Recall" The first night in your new home is the best time to begin! When you are brought in and after the initial fuss is over leaving you alone to settle in for the night, until you are sure your owner is in bed. Start with a gentle whine and wait for results. Some owners may take a little while some need to get motivated and may need extra encouragement. Whine louder and louder and scratch the door, work up to a good howl if need be and they will be guaranteed to come. Once they say 'What's the matter, poor boy. Go to bed now" you know that you have them trained. You will be guaranteed of 100% compliance next time you call. Guaranteed 100%.

"Food Refusal" Owners will generally offer what they consider to be 'good for your diet'. Just give the dish a cursory sniff, then sit back on your haunches and refuse to eat it. Showing a sad face works wonders. Wait until the owners tries to coax you with some of the food from their hand then disdainfully turn your head away. The moment they offer something different, preferably something from their own plate, you have them trained. A repetition of "food refusal" will soon have them running from fridge and cupboard with a variety of morsels.

"Stay " - Owners who return from an outing to find the furniture chewed or the neighbours complaining about your barking will feel much more guilty if you can manage a truly pathetic "you left me!!!" look on your face. When you can manage to restrict their social outings for fear of what you may do when they leave home you will have successfully taught your owners to stay.

"Sit" - this is an elementary exercise.. New owners are sure to want to nurse you on their knee. Whine and cry and jump up when they put you down and they will be sure to "sit" and pick you up again. Easy!

"Drop" - this is one exercise which is best attempted by those dogs with special skills - namely size, weight and speed. Wait until your owner turns their back and then run and hit them behind the knees. Watch them drop. The idea is to be able to get them to do it with alacrity.

"Fetch" - some owners will persist in throwing balls. Steadfastly refuse to retrieve them and watch the owner run all over the yard, throwing the ball, saying "fetch", then running to retrieve the ball returning to you and repeating the exercise. As long as you refuse to retrieve the ball, the owner can be assured of a performing a perfect retrieve each time.

"Find". This is a good one. Take one shoe from a favourite pair and hide it. See how good your owner is at "seek back". The more expensive the item, the harder they will try. Remember very small, glittery items are an excellent enticement for owners reluctant to perform this exercise.

"Speak on Command" - Easy. Bark at them until they yell "Quiet!!" Remain quiet for a few seconds to reward them, then bark again. Soon they will speak on command every time you bark.

"Walking on the lead" - If you are clever just refuse. Sit on your haunches and howl. Owners may try and entice you with food. This is a good one - hang out for choc drops! If they carry you so much the better, but if you are a giant breed "walkies" may be very short.

"Heel" Such a silly term! Drag them where you want to go. If they persist in trying to get you to walk their direction, a good sharp jerk will usually get them back on course. Keep them alert with sudden left turns, right turns and about turns. A few sessions of this, just 10 minutes per day, and they will soon do as you want.

All this basic training can be used for more advanced exercises, such as protection. Once you have the owner listening to what you say you will have enough control to be able to protect what ever you wish. Try protecting the food bowl first. A growl when the owner approaches is the first step. Growl until they back off. Once they consistently back off you can try more advanced exercises, such as the bed. . Take up a position in the middle of the bed and growl when they try to get in. The ultimate measure of success is when they sleep in the spare room.

Consistency is essential in training, as is praise. When an owner performs as you wish you should lavishly praise him with joyous wags of the tail and licks. Owners are much more inclined to respond to your wishes when you praise appropriate behaviour and discipline inappropriate behaviour.

Training can be an ongoing thing. When you have successfully trained one owner, you may find that they pass you on to another owner for you to try again.

Happy Owner Training! Cheers!
"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog." - Konrad Lorenz

leopui
K9 Maniac

Mar 22, 2002, 5:59 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] A Guide for Dogs ' Training Your Owner To Be Obedient [In reply to] Can't Post

O Boy .... I have to make SO very sure that my dog didn't have the chance to read this ....!!!

Good one Cool , and I am going to train your dog just like what the post stated ...Tongue !!!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 22, 2002, 5:12 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrian] A Guide for Dogs ' Training Your Owner To Be Obedient [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there Mate.*&^% me dead.
I presumed you have returned from my downunder Oops pardon me, typing error, I mean Australia?
How are thing there? everything fine and dandy? That's wonderful!!
I was just wondering if you have any diploma or masters courses leading to a honor's degree for this topic, as I find it too elementary.
All my dallies are well versed with what you had posted. Some of my females went a step further and I am disappointed you did not include.
We expected you to visit the MIPE show on Sunday, but you were no where to be found. No wonder I did not do well, because Adrian C is not at the ring side.
Where are all the basenjis and dallies?
Regards.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my