Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!!

peck_gek
Novice

Sep 6, 2005, 7:07 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5236 views)
Shortcut
bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! Can't Post

hi all,

i m keeping 1 shih tzu(1.5yrs old) and 1 maltese mix (7mths old). the shih tzu quite well-behaved, he nvr bite my thing. but the maltese mix very like to bite at all things at my house. the records are : pulling out & biting at the pineapple which we put as oblation to "god of land", bitting at the skirting of wall, bitting the leather sofa & pulling out the sponge of the sofa, broom...etc we tried to put away the thing which can keep to avoid him to bite at. but like sofa, wall can't 1 keep er....Pirate

but now he is getting insatiable, he did bite at the electrical equipment wiring of hi-fi, recorded, astro, air cooler... to thousand of pieces!! and pull out the astro sim card(fortunately nvr destroy the card). i m scaring tat if 1 day we forgot to turn off the switch then may harm to him~~~ er. & yesterday unexpectedly we found tat he bitting & destroyed at our 2 units of PS2 controller wire...ERHHHHHH oh! how come like tat Unsure?? my bf very angry lor, even we scolded, bit or punished him by let him alone at balcony. he nvr stop doing tat!! make me CRAZY ler.... our tv cabinet door cannot lock 1, can only close..but he will open the door himself!!! and he did all this when we all sleep or no at home. always giving us BIG SURPRISE when we go back...Crazy why he is so naughty ar? can anybody pls help him to stop doing this harmful action?? did muzzle works?

thank you!

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 6, 2005, 8:18 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peck_gek] bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

peck_gek

although some may say they dont like to crate their dog, actually crate practice is important to train a dog. especially for ur case, when u r NOT at home, u cant control wat ur dog do, so it is best to crate her.

although u may say it is pitiful, but it is more pitiful if the dog bite on the wires & get electric shock. at least u need to crate the dog WHEN u r not in, or sleeping, UNTIL she is trained.

of corse crating a dog is not a bad things if u try to make her loves the crate, or at least feel better to stay in it. try to make the crates more comfortable by putting some clothes, & 1 or 2 of her favourite toys.

when u r back u can take ur time to observe her, when she bite on those things she is not supposed to, scold her with a firm NO! then bring her chew toys to her & play with her. praise her a lot, i mean a l0oOT!

if u saw her playing or chewing the chew toys, praise her on the spot, u can even give her trats in order to make her loves it.

everything in ur home seems interesting & "NICE TO CHEW" in ur house for the dogs, especially the VALUABLE ones huh? a dog wont know which one is RIGHT to chew on & which one she shouldnt UNLESS u teach her.

it is impropriate to punish ur dogs when u get back home and found out, WOW! WAT A MESS! (think u did it huh?Wink) as the dog will not going to be able to understand why she is punished. she cant link it to wat she did eventhough u bring her to wat she has spoilt.

thus, it is important to crate her or restrict her to a safe place when no one is monitoring. punish her only when u see her does wrongly ON THE SPOT, but dont forget to praise her more when she does thing correctly.

if u give out enough time & patient, very soon ur dog will feel good & happy to do wat she is thought to, & will avoid doing wrong things which she feel somethings bad will happen.

my dogs at home is just like urs at 1st, chewing everything at their sight, but after much patient & time given out to train them, now i need not to crate them anymore. & they are very well behaved even if im not at home the whole day. 1 day i only need to clean up the newspaper where they pee & poo twice. work hard to day & u will enjoy in the future!

wish u a happy dog training days.

Regards,

Yang

peck_gek
Novice

Sep 8, 2005, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

halo leecy,

thank you for sharing me yr method. i hv tried to crate my doggie when we r not in or sleep at nite time. i m happy tat he can stay & sleep quitely at nite.

BUT in the morning when we went out he made a lots of noises , found tat he is still barking even my family member juz went out for only 1/2-1 hr every morning

i nvr crate my another shih tzu, only crate the mix maltese. i am staying in appartment, scaring tat his barking sound will annoying neighbourhood...if he continue barking at every morning, my neighbor might complain 1...

help me pls...thk you!!!

Sydney
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2005, 2:05 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peck_gek] bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if leecy's advice or methods doesnt helps, i think you should displin your dog more 2 dont bite things when you're not at home. Maybe if u go 2 work, u could bring your dog along so u wont have to clean up the things he biteSmile. It's not to late to train your dog and take it 2 training classes. Have you tried to scold him by saying no?

If not... you could let your maltese occupy his time with one of his toys. Teething will go away when he gets older. Just tell me where is his fav spots to bite... Maybe there's some thing that can stop your dogSmile

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Javin
Dog Kichi

Dec 8, 2007, 11:05 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah !! My pup wanted to bite the electrical wire. But before that I shouted at him, then he run and hide already. But still i scared and I took all my computer wiring and speakers up. So now he is free to roam in my room. And if i go any where, I let him in my room and close the door. He feels comfortable in my room and he doesnt poo or pee in my room.

P/s : anyone wanna let ur furkid in your room and go out. Dont forget to ON the fan and have a good air flow inside the room. <<---- Thats wat im doing. ---->> And ON your air conds when you are with your furkid. Dont let it ON and go any where. Then when you come back. Your furkid will be in ICE AGE ... Hehe
DoGs ARe LoYaL To Us WHeN You Are LoYaL To THeM !!

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 8, 2007, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Javin] bitting at wiring electrical equipment!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

True, I bet you are doing the right thing, best method is to avoid, if we are able to keep stuffs which are not supposed to be chewed by puppies away from them, they don't even get a chance to do mistake!

Regards,

Yang

desmond29
New User

Apr 12, 2008, 4:52 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Spray diluted vinegar on the items you dun wanna him to bite, he will stay away, it works well on my shih tzu ...................

daniellechua02
Novice

May 16, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3715 views)
Shortcut

I guess this happened because your mix maltese does not have good socialization skills. But 7month old is still a pup you can try to socialize him and it helps!

No other choice, you got to train him up!

First, whenever you puppy bite you, you need to inform him let him know you are suffering. When he bites you, try to yield or making noise showing you are in pain. He will get shock and stop bitting immediately by looking at you innocently. Leave him alone for few seconds.

The worse thing for puppies will be staying alone without companion. So they will realize, you don’t like them to do that. Remember to keep this action consistent and persistent when training your puppies.

Hope this will help.

Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com
Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com

Love and Understand your dog, pinurl.com/loveyourdog

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my