Home: Breed Specific: Working Group:
Rottweiler need advice

joh_lin
Novice

Sep 5, 2005, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Rottweiler need advice Can't Post

Hello! I have just picked up an abandoned Rottweiler from the streets and she is very sweet so far (vet agrees) however she has just barked quite fiercely at a big male visitor, which is not unusual for a dog, however not having owned any big breeds before, I am concerned about keeping her.

I have put postings up on the adoption column but have not had much success. I am hoping that I will have some fresh leads in this column.

Perhaps anyone knows of a good Rottweiler trainer I can get some advice from. I would very much like to avoid having to give her to the SPCA.

I can be contacted at joh_lin@yahoo.com

Thanks!

alicia
Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2005, 9:38 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joh_lin] Rottweiler need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

i've been in a similar position as you and i'll tell you now that you're having little success partly due to the fact that she is already seven and therefore hasn't many years ahead. few will be willing to take her home. my friend is very into rottweilers but she has her hands full. however, her two are very well trained and well behaved. why do you need help with training?
Alicia Ling Horsley

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

joh_lin
Novice

Sep 5, 2005, 10:31 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] Rottweiler need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! Thank you for your reply. Yes! I think the her age and breed means I am not having much success but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

For me, training is only part of the issue. I am not all that confident that I am actually the right owner for her! I am not always at home and I think it is better to be cautious safetywise with a big dog, sweet and affectionate as she is!

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 25, 2005, 9:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1227 views)
Shortcut

joh_lin

so how are u getting along with ur rottie? Smile

Regards,

Yang

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Nov 5, 2005, 2:13 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1170 views)
Shortcut

well i used to own a rottie a but never encounter this prob before. Male with male yes la. Perhaps you try mixing the rottie around with other dogs. Sometime they are tryin to protect themselves or act defensively. MAybe she had a bad time wit big male ahahha...mixing should help. Ah. my cocker is like that, he barks and attack at dogs no matter male or female big or small.. hahaha..i tried mixing him but i only see slight improve, better than nothing. I still socialized my cocker till now..

I may not be the one who start the fight, but I will not hesitate to finished it ....

"expect the un-expected".....cheers..!!

http://s246.photobucket.com/...07/wollyee/?start=40

joh_lin
Novice

Nov 10, 2005, 5:34 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanleyee] Rottweiler need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my