Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Pet Shrink?

Entwash
Novice

Sep 2, 2005, 10:41 AM

Post #1 of 7 (937 views)
Shortcut
Pet Shrink? Can't Post

I have a small but big problem. Small cause it doesn't happen all the time. Big cause I think it's related to her general mental issue. Eevee is 5 and have been a very good girl in that she'll do her business when and where I tell her to (Usually once a day in late evening.. Is this normal?) and I'm so so proud of her for being so good .

But my problem is, whenever Eevee goes outside, she's very strained and panics at every non-natural sound, people, dogs...etc. Normally if the Un-ID "thing" doesn't get close to her, she's ok. But if it does, she gets outta control and would struggle to retreat to a safe place. Any attempt to hold her against that would cause her to lose control of her bladder and bowel. What's wrong? I know this is embarrassing but I'm more worried than embarrassed. What's wrong? Does she need a dog-shrink?

Her intolerance to outsider"s" or Un-ID'ed "things" are extreme. She's afraid of everything. I can safely open up my front door and gate and she wouldn't even leave my WELCOME HOME doormat!

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 2, 2005, 4:50 PM

Post #2 of 7 (927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Entwash] Pet Shrink? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pee & Poo once a day only??? How come??? You tell her that???Unsure

Entwash
Novice

Sep 2, 2005, 6:30 PM

Post #3 of 7 (910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Pet Shrink? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno. I guess last time when we stayed in a condo, she only does her business at the unit's yard and since the paper's there the entire day, she also does it once only. So, I guess it's in her. I only tell her that we are going out now to pee and poo and so she'll understand what I want and do it on the appropriate places. Otherwise, pretty embarrassing to have your furkids go on the road right?

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 2, 2005, 6:36 PM

Post #4 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

It depends on the food you offer. A dog on BARF diet might have to poop every second day only or very little daily. On the other hand, a dog on kibbles would need to go after each meal; means at least once a day and would poop a relatively large amount. Don’t worry, as long as the poop looks normal and the dog is happy & healthy, nothing to worry. A dog has to pee more often when he feels hot and, he would show some signs of stress when he has to control for to long. Not enough water will cause kidney problems and if you make him to control for to long, he might refuse to drink (bladder full already and no chance to pee) - both not good.

Sorry to hear about the very timid behavior. Your dog was socialized? I guess that your dog is alone in the house most of the time or has just you as his companion and not many visitors disturbing your home.

In this case, it might be normal that he feels stressed when anything different happen.

To reduce that, you have to expose your dog more often to different situations and/or join some group activities.

Never comfort your dog when he shows those signs of fear. Ignore it, otherwise the comforting talk does some sort of confirmation to the dog that his fear was real and something worth to remember. Try the opposite and do not force the dog to approach new things. Let him do it on his own pace. Just ignore him and YOU approach the strange situation, you make friends, etc.

Your dog did bond with you and will watch you and how you handle the situation. Best of all, he will not put to much emphasize on the issue and might forget the fear and bad experience rather soon. The next time, he might feel much more brave and slowly but surely, the situation will improve.

However, get used to the idea to own a timid dog and make it a habit to approach new situations slowly and step-by-step.Good Luck.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 2, 2005, 10:10 PM

Post #5 of 7 (900 views)
Shortcut

Entwash

Un-ID'ed "things" means??

Regards,

Yang

Entwash
Novice

Sep 4, 2005, 2:58 AM

Post #6 of 7 (886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Pet Shrink? [In reply to] Can't Post

Eevee's quite healthy. I take her to the vet so often just to allow her to see some other ppl except me and my friends. I guess the dog truly is a reflection of what their owners are. Honestly I myself don't really feel comfortable in big crowdsBlush. I guess she sense my own insecurities and became more tense.

I'm dealing with her timidity as what you've suggested since long (a solution from animal planet.. haha) and till now she's getting on re..al...sl..o..o..w... But if it doesn't aggravate I think it should be ok. I'm thinking of enrolling her into the new obedience class. But, isn't she a tad old?

BTW, Un-ID "thing" encompasses of just about everything that Eevee has never seen or has never been introduced to before.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Sep 5, 2005, 6:35 PM

Post #7 of 7 (873 views)
Shortcut

Very good. Nobody is to old to learn a new things. This applies to human and to dogs. Wink It might help both of you when you join the obedience class and it would be a slow approach as well. Once you met the other members in class, then it is not so strange anymore, but still, something new, something exciting, some outdoor activity and lots of exposure to new smells, etc.Good luck and have fun.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my