Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
5 months old showing dominance..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 2:41 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2382 views)
Shortcut
5 months old showing dominance.. Can't Post

i've a 5 months old puppy ..... she had spend about 4 months staying wit me already...

and just few days ago, my uncle boxer came to stay at my house.......

the 1st day, ofcoz pacco keep on barking at him non-stop...

the next day, they are both alright, sleep and eat together.... and my puppy is willing to share her food with him....

but the problem arise when i spend time wit both of them....

the boxer got the tendancy of jumping up on me.... ofcoz i tried to stop him n he will stick under my leg..... whenever the boxer touch me..... my puppy will starts to have a fight with the boxer.... she keep preventing him from approaching me.... n she fight so vigorously until she show her teeth to him n start to growl....she alwiz tried to hump on top of him...

initially, the boxer tolerate wit her n did not fight back.... but after 2 days.... the boxer starts to fight back n wouldn't let the puppy bully him anymore....

i did make my puppy know that she will be the 1st priority to me, by feeding her 1st and give her cuddles that i didn;t offer to the boxer....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 25, 2005, 2:43 AM)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 5:45 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] 5 months old showing dominance.. [In reply to] Can't Post

What would you like to achieve? You prefer your puppy over the boxer. In normal dog language, it means that your puppy is above the boxer in the pack hierarchy. It might work for you this way, but the boxer knows that he is stronger and will not behave submissive to your puppy. You are just lucky that the boxer seems to tolerate the mischievous puppy instead of disciplining him.
Generally, a puppy should always be submissive to an adult dog. Very much the same way as we young folks should be respectful to our senior citizen, right?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 8:36 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] 5 months old showing dominance.. [In reply to] Can't Post

i think i had miss out something here.

the boxer is also a puppy, i'm not quite sure about his exact age... but currently he is just 2 inch taller than my pacco girl n ofcoz the boxer is much more muscular..

my just wish they could both stop fighting n quarelling wit each other while i'm around....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 25, 2005, 9:35 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Amanda

sometimes when this occurs, ur dogs fight might bcs they wish to be the leader, so to stop this u must show them YOU are the leader, not them. which means you must be mroe fierce than them to stop their fight, but of corse not to the extend of harm them o~

hmm... how long will the boxer stay there? well it is good to teach ur pup to deal with another companion. when i get my 2nd dog, my 1st dog oso jealous, but after some times & efforts to correct them, then things getting fine.

The trick is i let them know they must obey to me if they wish to get something, NOT fight between each other to get wat they want.

wish both of the pups can become good fren. Tongue

Regards,

Yang

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 10:05 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2335 views)
Shortcut

OK, then it is easier to control.

Interfere immediately when they start fighting (not when they are just playing) and say very firm NO. You might take them by the neck, give a short shake (like a little shiver) & hold them down until they surrender. Basically, force in the submissive behavior, as much as any alpha dog or their mum would do. They will get the idea very fast and learn what is acceptable and what not and will normally obey those rules.Same age puppies will play and fight each other – that is normal, to learn the game, get a place in the hierarchy and simply enjoying life. You have to judge when it is getting out of control or when it is not acceptable to you. Just make sure that those limits do not change every now and then.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 25, 2005, 11:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] 5 months old showing dominance.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the boxer had just arrived few days ago.

Pacco de Mongrel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my