Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Half baked housebreaking

stacey
Novice

Aug 24, 2005, 8:35 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2320 views)
Shortcut
Half baked housebreaking Can't Post

Hi there, i recently got a golden retriever pup .. now he is currently 6 weeks old.. i have started housebreaking him ... he does pee and poo on the designated rubber mat when he is in his playpen. but he pees and poos all over the house when he is out...another problem i m facing is... he gets up in the middle of the night (5am!!!!) and barks for company... help me ... any suggestions???

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 11:12 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stacey] Half baked housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

stacey

may i know when ur dog is out from the playpen, where do u plan to let her pee & poo? how do u place it? & do u praise him/ give him treat when he does at the right spot?

another thing is u said "he gets up in the middle of the night (5am!!!!)" means that time he is in the crate or leashed or run freely? & if u ignored will him continue? if u approach him will him stop makng noise?

the above ques will help if u answered. cheers~

Regards,

Yang

stacey
Novice

Aug 25, 2005, 4:30 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Half baked housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

I usually let him out a couple of times throughout the day... i plan to train him to pee n poo in the toilet.. now i;m training him to poo n pee on the rubber mat...which later as time goes will be slowly shifted to the toilet...i usually praise him if i see him do it on the mat.. the mat is half of his play pen. but he doesn't pee or poo on the mat when he's out... he doesn;t even bother finding the mat.. he just creates his own new "spot"..

he wakes up in his play pen at 5am... in his playpen.. when i approach him he doesn't stop... he has kept my family awake throughout the night... he also wakes up at 3am too... twice in the middle of the night... this is driving everyone crazy...if left ignored, he continues he's braking and cries...but louder.... help me...

i had a english cocker last time (now all grown up) which i bought from a pet shop,he doesn;t give me any middle of the night problems... this golden i got it from a home breeder. he was the first to go from his litter.. any significant difference in that part??

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 6:05 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2289 views)
Shortcut

Hi, you got a handful and the breeder didn’t do a good job in giving you the puppy this young. Now, you have to teach your puppy what he would normally learn from his mum and his littermates.

If he does it right in the playpen but not outside means that he did not get the idea (your idea) but generally has the correct instinct not to dirty his sleeping and/or feeding area. That is something good.

A puppy of this young age would need a lot more feedings then an older puppy. He could suckle at his mum’s place at any time but now, you have to provide that.

Prepare some puppy food for him and feed him every 4 hours (sorry for you, but sleeping thru the night is not possible). After meals, wait for 20 minutes and CARRY him to the toilet area. Wait with him for 5 minutes, if he does his business then OK and praise. If not, then CARRY him back to his sleeping area and go back to sleep yourself. Ignore his complains.

To keep some peace in the house, you could add an old (unwashed) sock from you into the playpen and one or two toys.Good luck.

stacey
Novice

Aug 25, 2005, 6:19 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] Half baked housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there, thanks for the advice...

Ruscal always wants out of his play pen... even in the wee hours of the morning..i am losing my patience with him.he sleeps a lot during the day.. but sleep very little at night... just today (technically last night) he woke up at 3 and 6am!!! when i went to check on him.. he peed all over his mat..when i let him out.. to clean his play pen.. he walks freely aroung the house.. when i m done and puts him back into his play pen.. he barks non stop...

I am trying to train him not to expect us to let him out once he's up... it's bad behaviour... and i wan to show him who's boss...but the problem is the barking and crying are really loud and i think my neighbours gonna kill me soon...I live in an apartment..

he does have toys in his play pen... he just chose not to play with it...how long do i have to keep feeding him every four hours?? the breeder just told me to feed him 3 times a day..with kibbles soaked in milk (puppy's formula).. but i am feeding him 4 times a day...he looks hungry all the time...and also i read in some post that... i should not give any food or drink 3 hours before bed time..to avoid peeing in the middle of the night...and also to stop him from barking... keep him in the bedroom with us...i am afraid he will pee in his play pen..cause my floor are those parquet floor... and the pee would go deep into the wood and leave a scent.i dare not bring him into my room unless he is at least half trained to know where to pee and poo...

Can u tell him wat to do with him???

(This post was edited by stacey on Aug 25, 2005, 6:29 PM)

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 25, 2005, 10:32 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Dear friend, I guess that you have to get a crate, which is smaller and has a tray underneath. A dog will not dirty himself or his sleeping place; hence, will try to control or dedicate an area (most likely a corner) for this purpose.

Most crates are sold with a tray and so your parquet is not at risk.

Sorry, your puppy is very young and feels lonely. At night the house is very quiet and that might scare him a little too.

Kibbles are practical and easy to use but not good for health. Refer to our nutritional postings to read more about it.

Puppies are like little babies and have a small stomach but growing fast; hence, need a lot of nutrients. I would feed every 4 hours until the puppy is 8 weeks old. Then I would change to every 5 hours. 3 to 4 weeks later I would reduce to every 6 hours and 3 to 4 weeks later I would change to 3 meals a day. Once they are one year old, I would reduce to 2 meals a day. Please note that I am feeding BARF diet and I am not experienced with dry food.

Puppies are like little babies and need to pee & poop every now and then. They have difficulty to control until they are 3 months old. That is the major reason to suggest a crate with a tray underneath. I covered the tray with newspaper, in that way it is easier to clean up the mess.If you have such a kind of crate then you could place it in your bedroom and you would solve almost all the problems at once. Wink

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 22, 2005, 11:25 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2189 views)
Shortcut

stacey

I does go through lots of infant puppies without mums, & i understand ur problem, it is very annoying that a pup will cry in the middle of the night, & it is also worrying to see an angry neighbour complaint the next day u met them!!

But through my experience, most of the pups cant stand it when they are being put into the crate & they will start yelling & howling NO MATTER HOW U IGNORE THEM!! But then, it doesnt means u can let them out from the crate, or even approach them. Of corse u dont hope this to become a bad habit when he turns up to an adult right?

Well, u must be thinking so what am i going to do? the only thing u can do is set up a schedule. during an hour before he meant to sleep, spend time playing with him until BOTH or u feel tired! & for a pup, if u cant make it to wake up in the midnight to feed (though advisable) feed him before he sleep. Peeing & pooing during the night, in the place he/she sleep should be expected even u didnt provide them with food & drinks few hours before they sleep as they cant "tahan" for long. Though it is never too early to start training him at the right spot as u r doing now.

In short, make him tired before sleeping time, feed him b4 sleep, ignore him (suffer & worry now or it going to be forever) whenever he make noise, unless it is feeding time, & place his crate at a place where he cant see u. (bedroom is not advisable)

Im sure u will see improvement as the pup grows up (given u train him with good habit) he will be less likely to pee or poo in the crate, more willingly to stay longer in the crate (thats y u should ignore his cries since young) & the level of improvement is parrellel to ur effort & patient! Smile

Regards,

Yang

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my