Training Beagles

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #1 of 25 (4895 views)
Shortcut
Training Beagles Can't Post

Hi ,

I could not help but wander if this is what goes on a beagles mind during training....

---AT Heel , Sit ,Down, Stay----

Beagle: Aiyoh training again ah? I already know this command lah. Whylah must repeat the same thing all over and over again.
Owner: Beagle, Heel.... (owner walks proudly)
Beagle: hey hold on ...(sniff,sniff) here is something interesting...wait....wait... don't walk so fast....
Owner: HEEL! (getting angry)
Owner (thinking to him/herself) ' aiyoh beagle hah, sniff,sniff ,sniff only'
Owner: SIT , STAY
Beagle : Aiyoh want to sit for how long. Hey the dog there look cute lah. I want to go and play with it lah.
Fasterlah say "excercise over"... (beagle stand up )
Owner: STAY, STAY , I SAY STAY...
Beagle: okay lah okay lah I know what is "STAY" but you have been making me Sit and Stay all the time lah. Boring lah. Teach me something else lah...

--- At Agility ----

Owner: Beagle, jump..

Beagle: Okay , this hight no problem.

Owner: Good girl,,,okay now jump (higher now)

Beagle: Wah so high you want me to jump ah....now what will I get for doing this....chicken ?? Sausage????

Owner: Jump!!!!

Beagle: okay okay...wah the next one so high...you jump over first and see if it is safe then only I jump...You Jump I Jump....is that a deal?

Owner: Aiyoh JUMPlah....

A scenario as for most other breeds....(eg labradors, golden, poodle,etc)

Owner: Heel
Dog: Yes Sir! Your Wish is my command.
Owner: Stay!
Dog: Yes Sir!, How long shall I stay....No problem one whole day also can..
Owner: Jump
Dog: Okie Dokie....no problem..

Heee heee just something light to think about. Don't we all simply love our beagles Cool.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

(This post was edited by TohCS on Apr 17, 2003, 8:26 PM)

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 17, 2003, 8:25 PM

Post #2 of 25 (4890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TohCS] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

hi chengsee,

WinkSmileTonguebeagles will be always beagles......Tongue

regards
kangser and nous

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2003, 1:24 AM

Post #3 of 25 (4882 views)
Shortcut

Smile Heehee...how true. I'm not surprised if that's exactly what goes on inside their little minds. I read a book called "Smarter Than You Think". Basically, the author is saying that dogs are truly smarter than we all think. So, those one word commands such as SIT, STAY, DOWN...etc are an insult to their intelligence. Similarly, practising commands with your dog is not necessary for day-to-day living because once the dog knows how to do it once, it should know how to do it again, without endless practicing. Why? ..because they are "smarter than you think" !Wink. The dog will sure get bored. But if you're going for obedience trials, then different story-lah. Quite an interesting book but not entirely applicable to my situation.

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2003, 1:27 AM

Post #4 of 25 (4881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi wkser,

I remember you mentioned about getting a pair of beagles. Have you got them yet? Can't wait to see them Smile.

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2003, 1:37 AM

Post #5 of 25 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah...and sometimes I think they might be thinking during sit/stay.... "Why don't you sit and stay, while I go for a walk?" .... or during play fetch "Aiyah why you throw it away in the first place and then ask me go and fetch, can't you fetch it yourself?" ....
Just a lille joke....
Seriously beagles can be train if we really spend time and learn the know how.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2003, 4:32 PM

Post #6 of 25 (4874 views)
Shortcut

SmileYes, I am sure with a little patience and persistence, beagles can be trained quite well. So far, Bodhi is responding well to the traditional obedience training using choke chain, but can be quite stubborn sometimes. But for "behavioural aspects", I am going to try the clicker method because I don't like using the word "NO" all the time. Bodhi might end up thinking her name is really called "NO".Crazy I suppose before you can train a beagle, you must first understand them. Then you get the best out of them. I'm sure it applies to all dogs but more so for a beagle. They little minds are so, so strong and independent.

kensonkoh
Novice

Apr 22, 2003, 7:37 PM

Post #7 of 25 (4858 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh haha!.. that funny.
That why i don't use my command only. Sometimes have to use cane and command. Laugh

(This post was edited by kensonkoh on Apr 22, 2003, 7:42 PM)

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 2, 2003, 9:15 PM

Post #8 of 25 (4671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

If you don mind me asking, do you send your beagles for training?
Someone told me that she only saw a basset hound once at Padang Merbuk. After that, no more already. I guess the owner gave up?

Any trainable beagle?

npk
Dog Kichi

Aug 4, 2004, 7:55 AM

Post #9 of 25 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Trainable??

I may offend many but IMO dogs are NOT machine.

They will do the unexpected....they will make mistakes like anyone of us.

If you want a Trained dog, why not look for a machine.

To me, even a trained dog will still make mistake, under certain circumstances.

So are you saying that Basset Hound, Beagles, Rotti and whatever the breed that you can think of will not mistakes even if they are trained?????

Sorry to those who are looking for Trainable Beagle.

I rescued a Beagle recently. I don't even know if he would have bitten me when I found him shocked and in pain. He came to me, "spoke"(with the expression in his eyes) that he needed help.

Buddy may not listen to "stay" or "sit" but we(including my little daughters of 2 and 3 years old) just love him for being a dog, that will continue to test our patience and make mistakes.

Just my 2 cents.

NPK

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 20, 2004, 4:59 AM

Post #10 of 25 (4117 views)
Shortcut

hi tohcs,

notice that u have a beagle name belle. just would like to make more beagle friends. Smile maybe you can introduce yourself. i got a male beagle age 4 months and 19 days. hope to see you one day. Smile

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2004, 7:06 PM

Post #11 of 25 (4057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [npk] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

well...

great opinion u got there, but i just want to add something, most ppl train their doggies because they want them to behave and not pee or poo everywhee in the house. well to some point, these basic training is needed. as for further obedience training, i guess its your personal choice. infact training your dog might one day save his life you know...the basic knowledge of stay or come can actually be useful if your bringing your dog out for a walk. and yes they do mistake like we human do but if those mistakes weren't corrected, then it will get worst. training can be a play session with your dogs and they love it everytime u train them...not those training with rotan lar....my beagle, YO YO likes training alot...everytime i sit in the yard ..she will run out and jump on my body.....sometimes she will even bring her toy out from the house and give it to me....i will play with YO YO everytime she does the job right...so i guess it is the way ur dog is trained not that training is inhumane or anything...so do look at training at a different perspective....well positively.

cheers

Christopher

Concorn
ALPHA

Oct 1, 2004, 10:17 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I have a beagle too named Coco.

Like everybody is discussing here. Not much different from all of yours lar. I think beagle are one of those breed that is the most difficult to train for ob. But persistance and practise will lead them to be a good and obedient dog in anyway. And they will be loyal to the master too.

They r really stubborn and yet smart and clever too. A stupid master can't control a beagle, for sure... kekeekeke..LaughLaugh Play and training is a must for beagle to keep them busy all the time to avoid all sorts of vandalism in the house. Like Wais said, even human makes mistake so what is 'DOG' and some more 'Beagle'

Well, If I hold rotan to ask coco to sit, she actually won't do it at all and walk away. See!! Got attitude some more. But now, she's much more better. M glad!!TongueSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2004, 12:50 AM

Post #13 of 25 (3995 views)
Shortcut

to all fellow beagle lovers,

hope to meet you people for RDO; ohmybeagle,wong_fui, tohcs, concorn and whoever i left out. Smile

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2004, 2:25 AM

Post #14 of 25 (3990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

woi Stan,

never mention my name ar, i am not invited ar

kekekeke

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2004, 2:36 AM

Post #15 of 25 (3989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

ahahahaha. sorry sorry, forgot u ekekek.

all fellow beagle owners: ohmybeagle,tohcsm, wongfui,concorn, wais81, and to whoever i left out/cant remember. Tongue

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #16 of 25 (3974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Well you guys have fun, take more pictures for me to see..especially henry and coco together...alright..if u see any nice breed take pictures for me i need them for future use in my shop

have fun ya

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #17 of 25 (3973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot. you also have fun in malacca. don't worry, i shall ask whoever got digi cam (i don't have, so poorFrown) to take a pic of coco and henry together ekekekeke. Smile

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 2, 2004, 11:45 PM

Post #18 of 25 (3969 views)
Shortcut

so that means u want 2 train ur dog new stuff is it?

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Oct 4, 2004, 10:35 AM

Post #19 of 25 (3959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Concorn] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Geeezzzzsssss.......when it comes to beagle training....i have lots to say.....i own two beagles at this time and i am really having a headspin there......kinda think getting a beagle is a mistake.....haha.....but anyway.....what the heck...they are just too adorable......call me shallow....haha...

well well......recently i signed my Lou up for training with puppy.com.....guess what......he is famous there......he sits there all day long pulling up with strength with me while other dogs do their owner-pleasing job there......no doubt the training is abit heavy for puppy of 7 months la.......but with little or more forces most dogs there would succumb to it but my Lou......my my......having too much of his own mind.....just hate being asked to follow command like a clown......moving here and there....turning round and round.....he would actually be headstrong until he vomitted white foam from the hectic pull i was giving him trying to get him into action.......oh boy....i really gave up this time.......so i let him drop out of the training and plan to replace him with my 3 months old bitch the next session......

He is so untrainable !!!!!!......at home i am a good master and he listens to all my commands even with some degree of arrogance there.......but i managed to show him my dominance by being strict with him and trying to discipline him. But when it's outside in a training field.....i think he would give in his life for an exchange of a run away from it. He simply hates to be trained......it's not like he is scared or anything......he simply holds on to his principles too strongly......haha......if that's the way i can explain it.......so guys......to all of u out there.....if u are not a patient person and u dont have a good temper......pls dont dont dont get a Beagle......u will not only ruin urself but u might ruin them too....if u eventually lose ur composure trying to settle them down. I have two of this kind at home......wish me good luck.... !!!!

Concorn
ALPHA

Oct 5, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #20 of 25 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ohmybeagle] Training Beagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

I think I saw your lou on RDO day. Lou is really a different from the rest of the beagle. Nice!!

Talking bout ob training and command!. Do not give up easily. Once they r under your control, it's really easy to train them. Like Coco, I hv headache and embarrassement for sending her to ob class too. Like you said, the rest of the breed is doin what's instructed but not Coco. She just so stubborn and just don't want to follow command and doin her own way only lar.. CrazyPirate
I noe that she noe every command but don't like to show that we are the boss. Especially the 'down' command. Gosh!! Even graduated, she still can't down properly. Now m teaching her at home. She's ok now with command and tend to obey also.

Really, don't give up on lou's training. You'll be more than happy if they follow your command later on. Good luck!!

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

Sydney
Doggyman

Oct 16, 2004, 4:55 AM

Post #21 of 25 (3905 views)
Shortcut

well so far i can c that beagles r not so obedient.

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

wong_fui
Novice

Oct 18, 2004, 7:20 AM

Post #22 of 25 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Re: lola [In reply to] Can't Post

hello everyone,especially to "ohmybeagle" and "misterstan" ,

how r u guys??I am aware of the RDO day at BU but not free to attend.However Lola's obedience class will commence 24th Oct by MKA at Padang Merbuk at Jalan Gasing,PJ.Come visit me us la @ 3pm,u will also see graduation frm the previous batch.

I finally cooked for lola after inconsistency of eating and refusal of kibbles for many weeks.I cooked rice with chix,beef,tomato,veg and eggs and for a week supply.the rest i keep in in the freezer.She is enjoying it so far after 2 weeks without skipping a single meal.This lola is very "ma fan".

Latest news about Lola.....She is on "heat" now at 11 mths + .Next mth is her birthday!.So my apartment is in a mess now and I hv to clean the flr several times a day.I heard there is some sort of pampers to wear,does it work or rather will the dog tear it off??Any experience out there?????Pls share and last question,how long will the "heat" last?

in the mean time.....take care.....

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2004, 10:24 AM

Post #23 of 25 (3889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wong_fui] lola [In reply to] Can't Post

hello Wong fui

Well there is this kind of pampers but for beagle i don;t think it is a good idea as they are very destructive. haha. the heat will probably last not more than 3 weeks. planning to celebrate her birthday, gathering maybe hehe... haven really met lola, my beagle is yo yo nice meeting you...

cheers

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Oct 18, 2004, 4:32 PM

Post #24 of 25 (3887 views)
Shortcut

hi wong_fui & lola

finally, after waited so long, then only can see your reply. Tongue

you can try give lola wear the pampers and see because certain beagles esp female are not so destructive (correct me if i am wrong). concorn's coco is very quai, seldom go destruct stuff around ekekeke.

i would love to come to padang merbuk on 24th of october to see the training, but not free on that day, so sorry ya!

anyway, hope you enjoy the training as i am enjoying right now.

the RDO did not see you also. only saw other beagle's owner, ohmybeagle, & concorn. Tongue

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Oct 19, 2004, 8:41 PM

Post #25 of 25 (3873 views)
Shortcut

Errr..... yes, there is the pampers for dogs but I have just heard hat a member made her dog wear baby pampers!! Works for her lah, maybe you can try? Hehehehe

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my