Greetings from the U.S.!

mightymite
Novice

Aug 23, 2005, 6:16 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Greetings from the U.S.! Can't Post

Hello fellow dog fanciers!

I've joined this forum to learn more about dog showing in Asia and to share and learn from you!

I show Yorkshire Terriers in conformation, agility, obedience, earthdog and tracking. Any Yorkie or toy dog fanciers here?

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2005, 6:22 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mightymite] Greetings from the U.S.! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mightymite!!!

Welcome to the forum.

I own Silky Terriers and occasionally enter for comformation show. Hope to learn and share knowledge each other. Enjoy ur stay here yaWink

Take care,

Christopher

mightymite
Novice

Aug 23, 2005, 6:32 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Greetings from the U.S.! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the avatar! Thought it was a Silky or a Yorkie! Smile

Tried PMing you but seem to be having trouble. One of my mentors shows a top 10 Silky in the U.S. - owner handled. AKC shows in the U.S. are dominated by handlers, the dogs in the groups and BIS ring are usually handled by professionals, so I'm mighty proud of my mentor! Wink Is it the same in Malaysia?

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2005, 6:54 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Thanks,

Sorry, PM not allow in this forum.Frown Are you a breeder of yorkie? Who is ur mentor? Do you know Donna Renton? Sorry for so many questionSly

In Malaysia mostly are dog owner handle, very few profesional dog handle around.

mightymite
Novice

Aug 23, 2005, 7:03 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Owner handled? That's much better. I do UKC (united kennel club) shows as well and that is only owner handled. Much more fun!

My mentor's name is Carol and her Special's name is Rudy - after the former Mayor of New York.Tongue Rudy is actually her first show dog and already in the top 10 in Silky's! I have another friend who bought a Pappy from Denmark on a whim and it wound up being a top show dog too! My own show dog is pointed, but unfinished in AKC and has her UKC championship.

That's unfortunate that you can't send PMS. On my own forum, I allow PMS for topics that are not related or banned by the forum, as long as members consent. In order to prevent harrassing PMS (which haven't happened yet thank goodness), I simply ban IP addresses from people who do not abide by the forum's guidlines of "being nice."

We do have a big problem in the US with puppymills. So I am careful about advertising on the forum. I only allow it from people who are active and obviously dog showers and only when the link or ad is on topic.

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2005, 7:17 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Why owner handled are must better compare to profesional handle?Unsure

Do you have or yahoo messenger or MSN? Mine is chrisoys@y*hoo.com and christopherong@hotm*il.com can chat over there.Wink Fill in the blank with letter "a".Wink Add me as ur friend.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Aug 23, 2005, 7:20 AM)

mightymite
Novice

Aug 23, 2005, 10:44 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1437 views)
Shortcut

I like to show my own dogs. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it but it is hard and sometimes impossible depending on who the judge is, to compete against a professional. In shows were handlers may not compete, I can show on a level playing field against other owners.

First, there are the non-politcal issues:

1) the handler shows four or five dogs (at least) each day, of a weekend cluster (three or four shows starting on a Friday or Thursday). The handler does that almost every weekend of the year. The owner may show a total of 12 times in an entire year - who get more time to get it right? Plus, who do the judges recognize?

2) the handler's only job is to condition and prepare each dog to be shown. He spends all week long, feeding, grooming and training the dogs to look and perform their best. The owner is at work typing messages on message forums Crazy while her dog is at home pulling out her wraps.

3) Handlers have to win - that's how they make money. They apprentice with other handlers and learn the inside tricks that owner handlers may never get a chance to learn.

Then there are the "political" issues:

1) Many judges were once handlers themselves and may sympathize with handlers or even know them personally as friends outside the ring. I once was at a show where it was just me and the judge and a very famous handler. The judge and the handler had a personal conversation right in front of me. The only thing the judge said to me was "don't bend down, you're knees with crack. [crack] See? They did!" Guess who won the class?

2) Because handlers make money when they win, judges may take that into consideration, putting a handelr over a owner who is just doing it as a "hobby."

3) Because handlers develop reputations, judges begin to expect that what a handler brings into the ring is a better dog than what a owner has, even if that may not be the case.

4) True or not, there's a beleif that handlers bring in a lot of entries which makes a show committee very happy. They are then "Rewarded" by the judge by being put up over the handlers.

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2005, 4:55 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1428 views)
Shortcut

I do agree with what you say. Same here. That why we will see almost the same person or dog winning again and again.

I think we go to any dog show at other country its the same situation right?

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 6:56 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1372 views)
Shortcut

Hi welcome to the forum.

I go confirmation show with chris often. Hope to see you in the show.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my