PJ dog owners won’t be spared

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2005, 6:49 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1454 views)
Shortcut
PJ dog owners won’t be spared Can't Post

By K.W. MAK

Change is in the air for dog owners in Petaling Jaya. They had cringed when the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) and other local authorities in the country started imposing strict rulings on ownership of dogs. Now it looks like the Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MPPJ) will soon follow suit.

DOG owners in Petaling Jaya have so far remained unaffected by the changes in bylaws taking place in many other municipalities that restrict dog ownership.

But the Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MPPJ) is seriously mulling imposing similar restrictions starting next year.

The proposed amendments to the bylaw includes the restriction of one dog to a terrace house, two to a bungalow and none for high-rise apartments.

Also being considered are mandatory microchip implants and neutering of female dogs.

Presently, the bylaws on dog ownership date back to the 1976 Local Governance Act, where the fee for a dog licence is set at RM10.

Restricting the number of dogs per home will affect many dog owners who currently have two or more dogs. However, it is difficult for the council to ignore as a responsible body that is in charge of the welfare of its residents.

MPPJ public relations officer Zainon Zakaria said the council was studying the proposal because complaints against dog owners were not unfounded.

“The complaints are usually against owners who keep more than one dog, and some of the offenders have been warned and fined many times for the same offence,” said Zainon.

“What is important is inculcating in dog owners a sense of responsibility towards their pets and civic consciousness towards their fellow citizens.”

Zainon agreed that the new law would affect pet owners who already keep two or more dogs in their premises.

“The proposal is still being drafted to ensure that it is reasonable to all.

“We know that there are dog owners who love their pets and who are responsible for them, which is why we are studying this carefully before we implement it,” said Zainon.

Strays, which are the result of irresponsible dog owners, are also a burden on the council’s vector control task force, which rounds up strays and doubles up as inspectors for pet offences.

In response to dog owners who complain about the absence of regulations for cat owners, Zainon said it did not mean that action could not be taken against irresponsible cat owners.

“That comes under general nuisance and public disturbance, and residents can call us up to take action,” said Zainon.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Aug 18, 2005, 6:51 PM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 23, 2005, 2:50 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] PJ dog owners won’t be spared [In reply to] Can't Post

hope that it will not affect the area that i'm staying here at MPPJ.

i'm currently having 2 dogs wit me... but my house is a corner lot terrace... hope that its ok...

but i've a neighbour who own more than 5 dogs in his house.... n that terrible...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 23, 2005, 2:51 AM)

kgb0y
Novice

Aug 29, 2005, 7:21 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] PJ dog owners won’t be spared [In reply to] Can't Post

It will affect all area under MPPJ!. Majlis Daerah Sepang is worst, they are proposing to ban dog totally! Dog lover should move out of Sepang Area (Including Bukit Puchong 2).

Sooner or later they will ban dog nationwide.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my