Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Need help to decide!!

acoolll
New User

Aug 14, 2005, 2:46 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Need help to decide!! Can't Post

I have a house that is fenced with a big compound. I need a dog that can be our pet (family are all adults) and also take care of our properties. I used to keep and take care of dogs from puppies to adults (mixed breed). Our last dog was to active so we adopted it to a friend. Just recently our house was being burglarised. Now our family think that we should own a dog, a good breed one and we are not too sure what type. I can only wash the dog twice a week. Groom and love it every day. Any suggestion.

(This post was edited by acoolll on Aug 14, 2005, 2:49 AM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Aug 14, 2005, 3:24 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acoolll] Need help to decide!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mix breeds and mongrels normally make good guard dogs, expecially females coz they are fiercer at guarding territory. Why not adopt a mix breed or mongrel puppy? They are easy to care for and not all mix breeds act and behave the same. Each mongrel and mixbreed are special and have different characteristics.

If you are looking for a purebreed. I would suggest boxers... even their faces scare away strangers but they aren't guard dogs unless you train them to be.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Aug 15, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1163 views)
Shortcut

well... my suggestion is bullmastiff! they r strong, n gentle to tehir owner...w ont bark without any reason... very protective... will protect ur house n also ur family...

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 15, 2005, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1152 views)
Shortcut

Well, it is not that simple.

There are many purebreds, mixed breeds and mongrels, which could do the required task without much training. However, all dogs need more then bathing (twice a week is NOT required for any breed of dog), grooming, love and attention.

Some dogs will cost you more then others, not only the veterinary cost but also food, time and characteristics vary a lot.

If your family does not plan to share the life with the dog but plan to leave the dog outside most of the time then you need rather an independent type of dog (e.g. Anatolian) who is low maintenance but high protection. Beware; those dogs need a firm hand to ensure safety of visitors and family members alike.I would recommend to use the Internet to search for suitable purebred dogs OR to go to the dog shelter and adopt a lovely mixed breed or mongrel instead.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 17, 2005, 4:00 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1118 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

my family members don't fancy dog at all.... but they also need them to guard the house....coz my area also got a lots a burglar.. (but they usually steal my shoe and kitchen accesories, coz my kitchen is outdoor)..Smile

mixed breed and mongrels are really good watch dog... they don't attack ofcoz, but will bark at passer by (usually)....

pay a visit to PAWs and SPCA..... i bet u will find one that suit ur needs... n some mixed breed also looks beautiful....

give them a chance to find themselve a home.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my