Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away!

Angelika
Novice

Apr 16, 2003, 12:42 PM

Post #1 of 14 (3327 views)
Shortcut
My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! Can't Post

Please help me I got this dog her name is foxie, shes 3 years old, i got her like a month ago form an adoption center, long story short...My dog keeps makin poop in the houseShocked but she only does it during 7 a.m - 4p.m becuz me and my mom aint home, were at work/school. and i cant catch he rin the act! I need help you guys, If she dosnt stop this(pooping) then my mom will give her away, and i've wanted a dog for over 3 years...we have tryed spraying her with water becuase thats what she was trained with but it wont work, we are planning to call the person who raised her, but i want to solve this myself! I dont wanna lose her, becuase i love her so so much, please if you have any ideas e-mail me ::

TohCS
Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2003, 6:10 PM

Post #2 of 14 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Angelika] My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Angelika,

Try feeding at different time. This will change the pooping time of your dog.
Also feed her less during the day and more in the evening when you are home to monitor her pooping.
I used to record down my dogs eating and pooping time then I know roughly how long it takes from one meal to the next poop. From my experiece with my 3 dogs it is not standard for all dogs but here is a general guide line.....
Dog normally poop and pee shortly after meal or when they get excited also when they wake up . Confine the dog to an enclosed area also helps (just make sure the enclosed area is safe). You may also leave your dog in a crate when you are not in. Though this might sound terrible (I always felt bad when I do that to my dogs) but then sometimes it is necessary for toilet training when you are not home. Dogs dont normally dirty their crate cause they dont "sleep and shit in the same place" unless they really cannot "tahan". Then when you are home keep an eye for the time your dog need to eliminate and lead it to it's "toilet area". When your dog have managed to poop at the correct place , praise it and give it a treat. When ever you are home and you catch your dog about to pee or poop give it a sharp "NO" and then lead the dog to an area when you want it to pee and poop. Wait there with it till it pee or poop then praise and give it a treat .

Well just a basic 2 cents from me. You can also search this forum archieve and there is lots on toilet training that you can read.
Remember the toilet training process will take time and lots of patience. Feel free to post for any other questions. I am sure the others will have lots to share in this subject area as well.
Good Luck.

Many doggie cheers,

Cheng See
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVE A DOG A HOME TODAY
Love all dogs pure or non pure breed - give them hope!
CALL PAWS 03-78461087 to take a dog home.
SPCA - 03-42535179 to give a dog a chance in life.
====================================
My fur kids....
Coco-Mongrel adopted from PAWs
Kiddo-Mongrel a stray that adopted us
Belle-Beagle -the naughty one :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wkser
ALPHA

Apr 16, 2003, 7:11 PM

Post #3 of 14 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Angelika] My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

you should try the way cheng see it will work.......WinkSmile all the best to you

regards
kangser and nous

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 16, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3299 views)
Shortcut

hi there,
well, when I got my Trivor at her 8th weeks, I also had this problem too. I spent around 2-3 weeks training. Patience is the key. Don't give up on her so easy pls.
Fix a place when you want her to pee-poo. put more newspapers so it woun't spread. Cleaned thoroughly if she mistakenly poo-pee in the wrong place. Do not leave smell or she will go back to the same place poo-pee again. I usd to pull trivor back to the wrong place where she pee-poo, and say "NO, this s NOT the place" to her. SHe knows the mistaken instantly, but accidents still happens sometimes. Be patience ok? Then I pull her to the place where she suppose to poo-pee and tell her so. Continue to praise her if you spot her poo-pee on the right place.
I find this is working. Let her know the place she should and shouldn't.
again, be patience. Do not give her away ok?
Do let us know the progressSmile

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

milooh

Apr 16, 2003, 9:43 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3294 views)
Shortcut

I really pity your dog being left for so long. Imagine if someone were to leave you at home for so long, of course, you have to pee and poop. Does your dog have free roam of the house or she is confined or kept in a crate? Yes, the others have posted good advice for you as far as crate training and potty training go. We keep two of our dogs in crates and my husband comes home every afternoon so they are never in the crate for more than 5 hours.

I think a lot of people, and I mean a lot of people should think twice or three times when considering a dog. Its not like you buy the dog and leave it in the house and when it pees and poops, give it away. That's what happens to lots of dogs which are abandoned and abused.

IRiS, our second dog was abandoned at the park and when my husband found her, she had fleas, hairless, the vet thought she just had puppies and she also had tumors. We nursed her back to health and now she is our best dog. Please please do not give your puppy away because its a vicious cycle. Someone else who takes the dog thinks he or she can handle a dog only to find out about its bad habits and then give it away again because it pees and poops in the house. But whose fault is it? This is just a hypothetical situation but it may happen.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

(This post was edited by milooh on Apr 16, 2003, 9:46 PM)

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 16, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! [In reply to] Can't Post

way to go Milo!!
Angelika - pls think twice before you give away the doggies. Don't do ths kind of punishment if they do little wrong.They will feel very hurt and will leave mark forever.
Have some extra patience and you will gain a forever loyalty and love from our best friend!!
Happy training!!

~ Trivor ~

Angelika
Novice

Apr 17, 2003, 9:34 AM

Post #7 of 14 (3278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey thank you all for the great advice..LOLLaugh I'm not giving my dog away! She gets to room around the house freely,Tongue we got her like a month a go she only has a few toys here and there,Unsure I dont wanna cage her up either, becuase she was abused when she was growing up. Very baddly too, thats kinda why I got her becuase she liked me and had a sad story, and Then i just started to love her, don't worry you guys I solved it,Angelic I now take her for walks when i get back from skewl right after school! and then the next day in the morning she has to go poo! UnimpressedWinkand it worked this morning so its gonna work! but during the weekend I'll walk her lots more..Thanks again to all who helped me out!Smile
*~*An93l!k4*~*(www.polishgurl.dot.nu)

Angelika
Novice

Apr 17, 2003, 9:37 AM

Post #8 of 14 (3276 views)
Shortcut

Foxie says Thanks to. And I might get a cage for her soon, maybe, becuase shes started to knock down plants, that my mom keeps on the floor near the window when someone goes near the hosue she jumps around and goes right to the window! But its ok, no real harm done!Sly
*~*An93l!k4*~*(www.polishgurl.dot.nu)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 17, 2003, 5:46 PM

Post #9 of 14 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Hi Angelika, Smile

Good to hear that you've found a short term solution to your problem! But I would still advise you to keep training Foxie her 'toilet manners'. Smile You can't be coming home everyday to take her out to pee and poo. There will be times when you're out and she's left alone....so she needs to know where to go do her business. It's not going to be a fast process, but like what the rest of them said...just be patient. When I was housebreaking Sparkle, i bought all the aids too but it didn't work. I resorted to wiping his pee with kitchen towel and cleaning the spot with disinfectant and placing the soiled kitchen towel to the spot where I wanted him to pee. He kinda sniffed it out and went back to the same place ever since. But of course, along the way sure got an accident or two but he's fine now. Smile

Glad you dont have to give Foxie away. Smile Just remember that Foxie in her own doggie way will do anything to please you, if only she knew how to. WinkTongueSmile

Trivor
K9 Servant

Apr 17, 2003, 7:52 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3256 views)
Shortcut

hello there,
glad to know everything runs well.
So glad you are not giving her away too. Also, let he rknow what's Do and Don't in the house rule. DO not jump on pople, Do not knock down plants... and Do pee-poo in the right place...are basic training. Not every owner is a good tainer (I am not). so be extra careful when do training, don't yell at her, save for emergency case, like running away...etc Do pat her hinquarter if she does something wrong and shake your hand say NO. Don't punish her with rottan or slap her face...
happy training alright?

~ Trivor ~

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 17, 2003, 11:59 PM

Post #11 of 14 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] My dog is having some really big problems, If she dosn't stop my mom will give her away! [In reply to] Can't Post

the rolled up newspaper is working very well on my puppy. We just roll the papers up and whack it on our own hands to make the loud noise and he's afraid of it....and will obey everytime we lift the newspaper up although we have never hit (and will never...hehehe) him with it.

But when he does obey we give him a treat and give him lots of hugs and praises. Smile My pup is a glutton and a slave for food....will do almost anything for FOOD. Crazy Tongue Wink

jasonlyh
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2003, 6:09 AM

Post #12 of 14 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Hi Angelika, there are quite a number of threads on house training a dog. Do check them out. Never too late to teach a dog new tricks. Otherwise, you may also try spraying those pee & poo preventing liquid sold at pet shop on the common areas. Good luck.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Apr 18, 2003, 10:28 AM

Post #13 of 14 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Hi Angelika,

I'm so glad to hear that you dont plan to give the dog away juz becoz of the little thing that she is not trained to do. Smile I wish more will think like you... Anyway, do give them more time and teach them with love and patience... They will reward you with loyalty and undying love.

cheers,
minglmy

jan
Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #14 of 14 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Hi Angelika!
Maybe you can bring your furkid to the dog training centre. they will guide you on how to teach your furkid on toilet manners, socializing & obedience. I will enrol my furkid on the training also. anyway, my furkid is caged when we are not around. but he seldom pee and poo inside the cage. normally there will be someone who let him out of the cage to do his business. i've been letting him out at the back garden. so whenever i let him out of the cage. if he feels he want to pee poo, he will run to the back garden and pee poo. after that, he will come in the house. sometimes he will pee poo in the house. but you have to use time to let him familiar with the toilet manner that you want him to do. i've no problem with the toilet manner but need to teach them in a proper manner. see ya

^^Jan^^

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my