Getting a dog - prerequisite

daniel.woo
Novice

Aug 5, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Getting a dog - prerequisite Can't Post

Hi Everyone;

This is my first posting and hope to receive guidance from all of you. I will shifting to my new terrace house (3 storey) located in Taman Setiawangsa in Kuala Lmpur. The land area is approximately 1550 sq ft and the built-up area is approximately 2600 sq ft. I'm interested in getting a German Shepherd puppy as a pet. Hence, I have the following questions which I hope some of you may be able to assist:

1. I understand you need to get a pet before approaching DBKL to obtain a licence. However, I'm not sure what is the requirement after several incidents involving pets appeared in the press and some silly conditions imposed by local councils (esp Shah Alam). Can someone who is residing in a terrace house in KL able to keep a dog as a pet? I do not wish to acquire a dog & subsequently told that I'm not eligible to keep one? The dept (tel no; & address) in DBKL who is in charge of licensing dogs as pets.

2. How do I know the breeder is selling a pedigree German Shepherd pup (even though issued with MKA Cert). I understand MKA does not assure pups issued with MKA Certs fulfil the conditions imposed.

3. What is the average price of a local bred pedigree German Shepherd pup (MKA Cert) should I pay as compare with imported one (most liklely not able to afford)? Any tips & recommendations on preferred bog breeders ( bona fide not the mill type).

Thanks a lot & hope to join all of you as dog owner/lover;

Daniel

Frown

sbt
Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2005, 5:44 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel.woo] Getting a dog - prerequisite [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Daniel,

I see your main interest is in GSD. While I am not experiences in GSD, I do think that the price varies considerably from breeders. GSD need plenty of exercise and space. Make sure to take them out to walk/run dailly. That is best for your dog.

Some tips on choosing a dog can be found here. See also which puppy?
http://www.living-spring.com/...ting%20a%20puppy.htm
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

daniel.woo
Novice

Aug 8, 2005, 11:11 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sbt] Getting a dog - prerequisite [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SBT;

Yes I'm interested in GSDs as they are loyal, dependable & make good guard dogs. I'm prepared to do what you have mentioned. I believe that you are very experienced in bringing up other breed of dogs and would appreciate if you could share your experience with me.

Thanks

Daniel

sbt
Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2005, 6:51 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel.woo] Getting a dog - prerequisite [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I learn most of the things from this forum and reading. There is an expert in this forum. He is a guru in GSD from Penang. PSD is his name. You may find some of his comments valueable. Give him a mail and he is willing to help out. I was a recepient of his advise also.

Good LUCK!
A Dog is for Life, Not just for Christmas

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my