Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 23, 2005, 10:43 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7198 views)
Shortcut
help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles Can't Post

i hv a shih tzu, 1.5yrs old. since he was puppy, his' skin always got red measles (some with yellow pustule) made him keep scratching at...everyday!

been brought him to see many vets. many times... vet tried gave injection, medicine to eat, cream, medical shampoo, cut to short fur, and now change to skin & coat formula sencitive dog food.... also no use! never better...Frownmy poor shih tzu.

can anybody help me....?? PLEASE .....SOS

*attached 1 copy of his photos for viewing and suggestion..

thank you very much!!
Attachments: image0010.jpg (18.5 KB)

spooky
Novice

Jul 25, 2005, 2:40 AM

Post #2 of 15 (7186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peck_gek] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

My dalmatian got a similar problem (this breed is prone to skin problems), I met this dude while I was scouting for dog food, he said to use wet cloth to clean my dal everyday under the belly and armpit and that I apply baby nappy rash cream (drapolene). And that I did, now my dal's condition has improved almost back to normal. Maybe you give it a shot and let me know. This dude says nappy rash cream is safe for dogs as its save for babies...he did the same for his dogs.

Au Revoir,

Spooky

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 25, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 15 (7181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spooky] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

hi spooky

thank you for yr reply and information on skin problem.

where can i buy the baby nappy rash cream (drapolene)? is it with pink color tube packing (baby face)?

but...if i apply the cream at belly area, my shih tzu might lick the cream...

can eat ar?

hope to hear fr u soon

thanks

peck_gek

spooky
Novice

Jul 25, 2005, 7:45 PM

Post #4 of 15 (7180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peck_gek] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Yup drapolene is the one with the baby face on it. I tot it would be dangerous for my dog to lick it too but I took the risk lah cos the skin problem was kinda bad. But so far so good skin condition has improved and dog has not side effects. That dude said if its safe for babies it would be safe for dogs. I suggest u apply it at night b4 your dog goes to sleep so chances your dog would sleep thru the night. Make sure your clean your dog first with a wet cloth b4 u apply. Hope this helps. Let me know the outcome. Btw wat sort of food do u give yur dog? I feed mine with either chicken or lamb (Pro Pack) as beef tends aggravate skin problems. Sometimes I buy chicken breast and boil it for my dog.

Au Revoir,

Spooky

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 25, 2005, 9:02 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spooky] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

ok, i will try this method and will let u know the result.

may i know which part of yr dog got such red measles? for rainbow, the red measles most r at belly, armpit, knee joint area, (sometime body also hv). bring it to c vet b4?

after wiping with wet cloth, need to blow till dry?

u meant u feed chicken or lamb (Pro Pack) dog food made the skin problem getting bad? or getting better?

mine one i feed them PREMIUM EDGE (skin & coat formula 4 sencitive skin) dog food. as the vet told me, might the dog food cause the skin problem, and he encorage me to boil the pork for them to eat er...but so far i nvr feed them eat other except dog food and fruits. and as i know tat some dogs r not suitable to eat the dog food which include too much chicken ingredients or high protein... incured skin sencitive wo...so i choose to change the dog food to premium edge.

how many dog u keep?

cheers !

peck_gek

sookfong
Novice

Jul 25, 2005, 11:25 PM

Post #6 of 15 (7157 views)
Shortcut

hi, my dog used to get skin problem and have to visit the vet every month,now he is eating

ROYAL CANIN Sensitivity Control Capelin & Tapioca.For this one and a half month seems like ok and sheds sheds lesser.

may be you can try it but it can only get from vet.

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 12:49 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7153 views)
Shortcut

It's either you feed too much or he having allergy to the dog food you are feeding. And also fungus infection also can cause red spot.

1. Try give him drink alot of water and see got any improvement.

2. I personally will change the dog food you are currently feeding him. Try Nutro or California Natural. Give him about 2 week time to see improvement.

3. If the above did't solve the problem buy a medicated shampoo from vet or petshop for fungus infection.

Hope this helpWink

spooky
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #8 of 15 (7153 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

As for my dog the red spots tend to appear on the under belly, armpit and hind legs....and tends to be itchy. No I've never brought her to the vet for treatment for this condition. I feed her Pro-pack chicken and lamb...alternate 1 month. She seems fine with pro-pack, I'm sure its not food allergy b'cos if its food allergy the back of the dog + body area is red. But mine is just confine to the underbelly...my vet told me could be bacteria/virus infection but not serious. Since I use drapolene it got better, the redness has gone. Once u wipe with a wet cloth, dry your dog ...u can blow dry before applying drapolene. Redness would go away within 1 day. If u can't get drapolene u can use other brand of nappy rash cream. U keep your dog under observation & let me know how things develope. When under observation keep your dog indoor.

Oh to answer your question I own a female dalmatian & she is 4 months old...name is Shanna.

Au Revoir,

Spooky

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 9:03 PM

Post #9 of 15 (7141 views)
Shortcut

spooky, chris ong & sok fong

thanks a miliioin advance!

i will try it up!

cheers

peck_gek

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 9:09 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7140 views)
Shortcut

dear spooky, chris ong, sok fong

thank you very much!

i will keep trying it!

cheers

peck_gek

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Jul 28, 2005, 5:01 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7125 views)
Shortcut

Hello Peck Gek,

My shih-tzu used to have un-curable skin problem last time. Finally, found the root of it. Her food intake, that's the answer. Now, i have stopped giving giving her any kind of treats or table scraps, and feeding her only dry dog food (Prairie Lamb & Rice Medley kibbles). Her treat/snack is limited to only raw baby carrots and greenies.

A little background information, I used to feed her all kinds of funny food, steam chicken breast, boiled lamb meat, yogurt, all kinds of dog treats....and I think these food triggered the skin problem. But now, I've stopped doing that, and my shih-tzu is doing fine with only dry food + greenies as treats.

Also, check on the floor detergent u are using for your house.

Cheers & Good Luck!

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 29, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #12 of 15 (7116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [llchoong] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

dear llchoong,

1stly, thanks a lot.

i seldom give my shih tzu others treat except dry dog food or fruits. the brand and full name of dry dog food u feed yr shih tzu is Prairie Lamb & Rice Medley kibbles? where u buy the dog food? i live in penang, don't know can find this brand or not. same as the photo i attached?

what type of floor detergent u r using to mop the floor? i m also thinking that mayb the floor detergent stimulate the dog skin...i hv oredy change 3 types of floor detergents : kiwi clean, ajax fabuloso, dettol all purpose and now using dettol or water. after u mop the flr with detergent,how many times u mop the floor with water?

how may times u mop the flr per week? 4 me, i mop everyday. Unimpressed

wat brand of shampoo u bath 4 yr shih tzu?

cheers
Attachments: prairie.jpg (10.5 KB)
  image0007.jpg (17.4 KB)

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Jul 29, 2005, 5:46 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7115 views)
Shortcut

Hi Peck Gek

I am feeding the kibble as per the image u attached earlier. I get this dog food from Pet Safari at Ikano Power Centre. This brand is not widely sold in Klang Valley, so far I have known, only 2 places selling this brand of food.

I mop the floor only once a week using Kiwi brand, and do not use clean water after that. Will not allow my shih tzu to go near the wet area and have to make sure it is cocmpletely dry before putting her down to the floor.

FYI, i'm using #1 All Systems to shower her and sometimes applying Malaseb (medicated shampoo) on her feet and below her tail as these areas are prone to bacterial infection.

How old is you dog btw? Mine is almost 2 years old.

peck_gek
Novice

Jul 29, 2005, 8:08 PM

Post #14 of 15 (7101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [llchoong] help my shih tzu skin problem - red measles [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

my shih tzu is 1.5 yrs old, male, RAINBOW his name. b4 this, rainbow also keeping long fur, and i need to tie his fur at head twice/day. but he nvr maintain the plait and looks urglyPirate. and boy boy tie fur a bit funny er..so i brought him to pet grooming pet shop ask the groomer to cut his fur into short fur. so now he looks more handsome and tidy & comd his fur 1/day.Wink (but spend a lot $$ on grooming). yr shih tzu is gal gal, gal gal keep long fur is preetier er... can dress up and make up 4 her.Smile

how long r u feeding the kibble dog food? for adult dog? expensive?

u r uisng kiwi detergent, which types? original? lemon? lavender...? sorry er.. ask u this and thatTongue

rainbow also use malaseb to bath. how many times u bath yr shih tzu per week? 4 rainbow, 2 times per week. but er... very tired lor coz need to bath 2 dogs once(2-3hrs)~~, espeacially the maltese(money), his fur more & thick. is difficult to blow his fur until dry. haha.

thanks & cheers & regards
Attachments: DSCN0289.JPG (177 KB)

llchoong
Dog Kichi

Aug 1, 2005, 5:02 PM

Post #15 of 15 (7087 views)
Shortcut

Hi Peck Geck,

My shih tzu used to have long flowy coat, but had cut it few months ago but still maintaining the top knot. Too time consuming having to comb her coat several times a day, worse during bathing day, blow drying took almost 2 hours. I shower her only once a week la, during weekends.

I've been feeding Prairie for a year already but also switching to different brand in between and I find Prairie suits her the best. She did not do well in Innova Evo, probably because she is allergy to chicken protein.

THe kiwi detergent i am using is blue in color.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my