IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Seeking Professional Dog Trainer - for two dogs that just wont stop fighting

finnstar
Novice

Jul 22, 2005, 7:43 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Seeking Professional Dog Trainer - for two dogs that just wont stop fighting Can't Post

hey all..
ive got two dogs, one is five years old, and the other i believe to be three years old. older one is called Arjun and smaller fella is called Tikrit (after saddam) :)

as they both grew older each kept fighting for attention... Arjun is not used to a second dog stealing me away from his petting sessions. plus the second dog was rescued as a stray so he's kinda on the weird side, eats EVERYTHING, cant even pet him cuz he's always literally zooming about the garden like its the end of the world!

but their fighting just got more and more deadly, i couldnt stand to see the two go up ot the point of killin each other, so i seperated them one on the front yard and the younger in the back yard closed off by an iron gate built for this purpose.

it can get really lonely at the back and this is no way for the little fella to live his life in seclusion while the big (and too pampered) one lives in the bigger half of the coumpound. ive tried everything, but i just cannot control these dogs anymore.

I need a professional trainer who's knows what he's doing to train these dogs to live in harmony and peace. i hope its not like getting iraq and the usa to make peace -- impossible! anyone know of where i can get one(a pro-trainer)?

thanks muchly

rajiv finn

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 22, 2005, 8:15 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [finnstar] Seeking Professional Dog Trainer - for two dogs that just wont stop fighting [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Rajiv, you could settle the issue by yourself since you caused the problem. YES, that is right. Shocked

The dogs need and appreciate a clear hierarchy and will not fight at all when this point is clear.

The younger dog should be submissive to the older dog and that what he would do, but you tried to be nice to the poor fellow who was rescued and gave him face over your older dog.

Firstly, you have to have to bond with both dogs (just need love and time).

Secondly, establish yourself as the pack leader or so called alpha dog by touching them everywhere (easy, while checking for ticks, wounds, etc.), by grooming them, by going for walks (go with one dog at the time), go thru the door/gate first, make all decisions. Just remember YOU are holding the leash and your DOG is wearing the collar, not visa versa.

Thirdly, keep the dog on leash, while feeding. In this way, you can have full control and enforce total control. Allow to eat only after your command, make them do something before granting the food, etc.

Never be harsh, just firm.

Once you have control over both dogs then start re-introducing them to each other. The higher ranking dog should be on leash and walked towards the lower ranking dog, which should be in the down position. Both dogs will look at you and if you keep talking in a encouraging soft tone then it should work just fine. Always remember, you are the alpha dog and you make all decisions, that includes who is a friend and who is not, who is belongs to your pack (family) and who is not.

Good luck.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 25, 2005, 6:27 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [finnstar] Seeking Professional Dog Trainer - for two dogs that just wont stop fighting [In reply to] Can't Post

finnstar

well i think joesmith had explained it well, if all these cant make the situation better, maybe u should change the name instict?

Yang

Regards,

Yang

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2005, 8:05 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rajiv,
Agree with Joe.
Make sure u r the pack leader n no means no,regardless of the situation,regardless of wht they want to do.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my