Conflict...?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2005, 10:39 PM

Post #1 of 87 (3033 views)
Shortcut
Conflict...? Can't Post

I have just recently bought a pair of hamsters.

But I also love dogs. Used to have one... Died of old age, I believe.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a puppy as well. Something mid size. Would there be any possible conflict or problems? Some of my concerns are:

- different smell can cause hamster/ puppy to be excited, aggitated

- puppy eat hamster?!?

Also, I'm a vegetarian due to personal beliefs which I feel quite strongly about. So I'm wondering if there's any issues if I were to train the puppy to be a vegetarian...?! (Hamster food is made up of grains, etc... No meat.) Could the puppy's diet consist of vegetables and non-meat supplements?

Thanks for your feedback.

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2005, 11:05 PM

Post #2 of 87 (3020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mydragoon] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there...

Personally my own puppy is not vegetarian but I did see an article under PETA on vegetarian dogs/pets:

http://www.peta.org/...et_display.asp?ID=34

And this website shows place which sells vegan food for animals but not sure whether they have it in Msia.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/h-vegcat-resources.html

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2005, 11:40 PM

Post #3 of 87 (3013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michilly] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

tq for the links. i feel much better. :)

getting the pre-packed food might be a problem in M'sia. anyway, i'll do more searching around. so far, i only found one green treat for doggies... greenies, i think.

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2005, 11:51 PM

Post #4 of 87 (3011 views)
Shortcut

Good luck with you search. Do share if you come across any vegan diet found locally for pets.

On another note... how long have you been vegetarian? Is it just you or your entire family? My husband and I were thinking of going vegetarian too (that's how I came about those websites) but a bit worried about accessibility of food (outside of home - at home shouldn't have a problem cooking).

BTW, are you full vegetarian or ovo-lacto vegetarian?

Thanks!

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 12:35 AM

Post #5 of 87 (3000 views)
Shortcut

hello... i'm a fulltime vegetarian. started about 2 years ago.

as for what type... well, my vegetarian adventure is due to personal beliefs. so, i'm a bit 'weird' in this sense, so not sure what category i fall under. but i can basically say:

- no meat!!!

- not too particular about eggs (no outright eggs like half-boiled eggs, etc... but will still take 'hidden' eggs, like those in bread, cakes. being practical, it's hard to find any eggless cakes, bread, etc)

- not too particular about milk (try to avoid)

- not too particular about onions, garlic, chillies (depending on your reason for being vegetarian, some will actually avoid this as well). if can avoid, i avoid, if not, i just eat them.

- not too particular about how the food was cooked or served

as for where to find food... where i stay (in pj area), there's lots of vege stalls/ shops. i can share the locations with you later. there's basically no need to worry about food. when i decided to become a vegetarian, it was almost an overnight decision. no fact finding like where to eat, etc. on the day i started, i just started 'seeing' all the vegetarian shops i've never actually noticed before. and once frenz & colleagues know u'r one, they will actually tell you when they happen to see a vegetarian shop! :)

worse case... go to any restaurant, order just the vege dishes. when i go kfc, i just eat - whipped potato, coleslaw, salad, wedges. when i go TaiThong, etc, it's plain stir-fried vegetables. when at mamak, maggie kosong. when at banana leave rice shops, this is 'heaven' especially on Fridays! sides dishes are usually appetising enough. and i like to joke and tell ppl i finish the banana leave as well for dessert. hope you get my point... :)

roti canai? just the dhall plse... :)

(This post was edited by mydragoon on Jul 22, 2005, 12:38 AM)

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 12:54 AM

Post #6 of 87 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info... for our case, it's more because of animal cruelty i.e. how they keep the livestock before slaughter and the slaughtering process. The more I learn about it the more I want to be vegetarian. So definitely no problems with onions, garlic etc. Wink

Haven't quite decided abt the eggs and milk thing yet... cos the conditions on how the animals are kept are also quite appalling. But it's quite difficult digging out all food with hidden eggs and milk Crazy.

Will let you know once my husband and I decide to finally take the plunge! Hehe... and will get more info on the veg places/restaurants... I currently stay in Kota Kemuning - not the easiest to find such food. Will probably go to Subang - tried some there. Quite decent.

Thanks again...

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 1:25 AM

Post #7 of 87 (2983 views)
Shortcut

if that being the case, it is not that difficult after all. ;)

there are quite a few vege shops in subang area. as for kk, i believe there is one or two. will check and let u know. else depending on where u work, can always pack from shop and take home.

good luck!

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2005, 6:46 AM

Post #8 of 87 (2965 views)
Shortcut

michilly

i think most probably u cant mix ur pup with hamster, as hamster might bite & it is too small to play with a relatively bigger & rougher dog, it might cause injuries. Smile

hmm... same case here, after i saw peta animal cruelty page, i become vegetarian for a period of time! i can imagine cause i dont touch vege & only eat meat for almost 20 yrs! how disgusting it is only by looking at video, wonder how the ppl can do it with their own hands.

Yang

Regards,

Yang

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #9 of 87 (2964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm... not letting play together is one thing. that can be arranged.

i'm just worried by hamsters might get scared if it smells something different when i try to play with it.

i've heard of doggies playing with cats and rabbits especially if they grew up together.

i guess ur right to say hamsters might be too small. i wonder if anyone else has this 'problem' seeing how hamsters are quite popular as pets as well.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 22, 2005, 7:58 AM

Post #10 of 87 (2963 views)
Shortcut

mydragoon

abt the smell, i think should be alright, i also used to have rabbit & guinea pigs which can get along well with other pets, should be no big deal. Smile

Yang

Regards,

Yang

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 22, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #11 of 87 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Yup... I agree with leecy on the smell thing. I used to have a guinea pig (I kept separate from the dogs) and she didn't seem scared by smell of other animals. But I do keep her cage quite securely cos afraid of stray cats getting access to her...

Lee - you saw those videos too huh? Terrible, right? Really makes you feel like turning vegetarian... but you are also right... for someone who has eaten meat for so long, the idea of giving up is sometimes hard but I think it is for the best (at least for me Wink)

Mich.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2005, 4:17 PM

Post #12 of 87 (2946 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
mydragoon

abt the smell, i think should be alright, i also used to have rabbit & guinea pigs which can get along well with other pets, should be no big deal. Smile

Yang

helo, me too. i hv a 1yr old rabbit that can get along with my 3yrs old female dog. she will licks it when i hold my rabbit near it. hahaha... so cute....

i do let them in a room with me. nothing happened so far.... Tongue so i think it should not b a BIg prob. but hv to introduce to them to each other nicenice ya. so they can b good frens~ hehe.
**A pet is a LIFE TIME commitment..**

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 12:17 AM

Post #13 of 87 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

i guess it should be safe for my hamsters... they will be in their house anyway. can't have them running around.

so next thing... vegetarian food for dog. i guess i'll try to look around and see if i can find any. or if how feasible would a home-cooked vegetarian meal be for puppies... :)

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 12:23 AM

Post #14 of 87 (2920 views)
Shortcut

it's not so hard when u realise how many more animals you have 'saved'...

...over one meal...

...over one day...

...over one year...

...over 20 years... :)

michilly
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2005, 1:08 AM

Post #15 of 87 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Yeah... you are SO right. This morning I doing a rough calculation, say if I eat 1 fish a week and 1 chicken a week that will be 52 chickens and 52 fishes a year and say if I live for another 50 years that will come up to er.... 2,600 chickens and 2,600 fishes. Ekk... I'll be like a murderer of 5,200 animals!!!!!!

Thanks for helping me towards making up my mind on this matter.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 23, 2005, 8:29 AM

Post #16 of 87 (2914 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yup... I agree with leecy on the smell thing. I used to have a guinea pig (I kept separate from the dogs) and she didn't seem scared by smell of other animals. But I do keep her cage quite securely cos afraid of stray cats getting access to her...

Lee - you saw those videos too huh? Terrible, right? Really makes you feel like turning vegetarian... but you are also right... for someone who has eaten meat for so long, the idea of giving up is sometimes hard but I think it is for the best (at least for me Wink)

Mich.

michilly

yap, but surprisingly the effect is so0O BIG til i can start try to eat vege, til now i still love vege! i still eat meat though but juz poteries, NO way i will give way to those wild lifes unto my mouth, & i hated those ppl who bought real skins, i will tell them i look down on them directly, really. Tongue erm..?

Yang

Regards,

Yang

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 23, 2005, 8:32 AM

Post #17 of 87 (2910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
mydragoon

Yang

helo, me too. i hv a 1yr old rabbit that can get along with my 3yrs old female dog. she will licks it when i hold my rabbit near it. hahaha... so cute....

i do let them in a room with me. nothing happened so far.... Tongue so i think it should not b a BIg prob. but hv to introduce to them to each other nicenice ya. so they can b good frens~ hehe.

carinmanfong

yap, i used to have a cat which will hug the guinea pig & lick, this cat also allow puppies & kittens to "suck milk" although he is a male! Last time i oso got guinea pigs who knows how to pee & poo on newspaper. Tongue

Yang

Regards,

Yang

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005, 5:16 PM

Post #18 of 87 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just to inform that there is one brand offers vegetarian formula on dog food - AVODERM. Not many petshops carry this brand, but the one I saw was a pet food supplier at Jln Tun HS Lee, KL. Hope it helps.

Regards.

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2005, 7:41 PM

Post #19 of 87 (2883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WendyS] Conflict...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!!!

Yes, it does help alot. I'll probably drop by that area... Errr... Where is this road anyway...? Sorry, I'm a PJboy that hardly goes to KL.

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005, 10:47 PM

Post #20 of 87 (2869 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Pls see the map attached. I'm not good in drawing maps, hope I won't confuse you! Tongue If you are familiar with Petaling Street, you should have no problem finding the place. I think the shop closes at 6pm, not sure about weekends, so better call to find out first before you go.

I saw you wanted to adopt a puppy, have you found one already?

Regards.
Attachments: Map.ppt (34.0 KB)

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 25, 2005, 11:04 PM

Post #21 of 87 (2863 views)
Shortcut

oh... that road is called hslee... hmmm...

i guess i roughly know that area. will probably drop by or get someone to buy for me first.

puppy... yes, supposed to drop by and look at the puppy tonight. if all goes well, the puppy will be staying with me from tonight onwards... :)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005, 11:19 PM

Post #22 of 87 (2857 views)
Shortcut

Ok, good that you know the place.

Good luck to you....hope you'll bring back a puppy tonite.....

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2005, 4:35 PM

Post #23 of 87 (2834 views)
Shortcut

i got my puppy... :)

WendyS
Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005, 4:53 PM

Post #24 of 87 (2829 views)
Shortcut

Great!.....congratulations

Adopted from here right, which one? How old already? How is the pup now, adapted to your home already?

Sorry if I asked too many questions, coz excited and curious.....I adopted one puppy last week, it's so good to have her, now I'm happy for you & the pup....

mydragoon
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2005, 6:24 PM

Post #25 of 87 (2824 views)
Shortcut

yup. adopted from here...

see thread: Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: Dog Rescue and Adoption

with topic: Puppies for adoption started by shyeow2. the one they nicknamed 'fei chai'.

she's still very new and cried the whole night. wanted to spend the night with her downstairs, but maybe tonight. see how la... ended up i had very little sleep as well... have to drink lots of coffee this morning.

she's less than 2months old, i believe. no name yet. family still 'debating'... hahaha...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my