chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 6:11 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1652 views)
Shortcut
The Myth Of The Teacup Chihuahua Can't Post

The Myth Of The Teacup Chihuahua

Sponsored by The Chihuahua Club of America

The official A.K.C. Breed Standard describes the Chihuahua as a small dog that comes in two varieties or coats types. The differences in coat type (the Long Coat or the Smooth Coat) is the only official description used to identify a difference within this breed. Our Standard does not categorize the Chihuahua by size.

For the purpose of showing and record keeping, the American Kennel Club includes the Chihuahua (along with 17 other breeds) in the Toy Group. Therefore, irrespective of their weight or physical stature, ALL Chihuahua registered with A.K.C. are considered to be a toy breed of dog.

As with all living things, there will be a size variance between individual dogs within this breed. Look within the human family - brothers and sisters will differ in height and in weight, as well as other physical attributes. They are described as humans, male or female, and there is seldom if ever a need to break the description down further. The same holds true in regard to the Chihuahua; they are Chihuahuas-Long Coat/Smooth Coat, Male/Female.

Unfortunately, the additional adjectives used to describe the size differences and physical appearances are many; and have been misused for so long they now seem legitimate. Tea-Cup, Pocket Size, Tiny Toy, Miniature or Standard - are just a few of the many tags and labels that have been attached to this breed over the years. The Chihuahua Club of America is concerned that these terms may be used to entice prospective buyers into thinking that puppies described in this way are of greater monetary value. They are not; the use of these terms is incorrect and misleading.

Occasionally, within a litter, there may be a puppy that is unusually small. That pup is a small Chihuahua and any other breakdown in description is not correct. To attach any of these additional labels to a particular pup is to misrepresent that animal as something that is rare or exceptional and causes a great deal of confusion among those new fanciers who are looking for a Chihuahua.

The Chihuahua Club of America does not endorse or condone the use of any of these terms and would caution the perspective puppy buyer not to be misled by them. We recognize that many Chihuahua fanciers do want the very small puppy. While they are adorable, and can be perfectly healthy, the buyer should be cautioned as to the extra care that may be required with regard to the general health and well-being.

The TEACUP puppy is, in reality, a premature puppy. Most females are bred on the ninth through the fifteenth day of their heat cycles. Eggs can be fertilized for up to 72 hours after any of these breeding's. Therefore, it is possible to have puppies conceived up to a week or so younger than the puppies first Conceived in a litter. However, when the first puppies conceived are mature and ready to be born, labor starts and all the puppies will be born, no matter when they were fertilized.

This explains why you have some bigger and some smaller puppies in a litter. There are no "runts" In a litter, merely younger puppies. These younger puppies may not be fully developed. Their problems may be hidden until later in puppy hood.

Some of the problems that may be encountered are heart or lung problem, luxating patella's, or hydrocephalic or "water" on the brain. Some of the smaller, yet just as serious, problems that may occur are hypoglycemia, (low blood sugar) or seizures.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Jul 21, 2005, 6:12 PM)

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2005, 9:18 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] The Myth Of The Teacup Chihuahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, great info. I also read that there is even the tea cup poodle and miniature shih tzu...

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

darenong
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2005, 4:22 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] The Myth Of The Teacup Chihuahua [In reply to] Can't Post

well ure right ... they somehow get with class identification for shih tzu as imperial and tea cups .... amazingly the really place the pup in a tea cup and it seems the pup is comfortable in the cup standing up .... goshhh it is report such size of dog is not healthy!

Frown

FrownFrownSimba - the Shih Tzu kingFrownFrown
http://spaces.msn.com/...lt&_c=photoalbum
Dogster me! @ http://www.dogster.com/?156485

Pets they said are men's best friend. Are men pets best guardian?

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 24, 2005, 6:30 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darenong] The Myth Of The Teacup Chihuahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah, I have seen the imperial shih tzus. So small and tiny, imagine how the female dog carries a litter? I pity the dogs, the way people simply claim the dogs as miniture or teacup. Like a teacup poodle, it looks very alien to me.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.

darenong
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005, 6:25 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1590 views)
Shortcut

gosh man i saw tea cups shih tzus before too ... its so weak and lifeless ... althou alreadi 2 months it barely standing ... they say cos its still a young puppy ... i say i can show them running and jumping 2 months shih tzu ! lol but bigger sizes one ! Frown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 2:47 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Yah... so sick to see the people sell such kind and claim that they are a special and charge high prices for them. No such thing as mini or toy or imperial shih tzuz. Yah, our 2 month olds are more active, more playful and more interesting than those small tea cup shih tzus hehehej...

darenong
Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005, 8:19 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1557 views)
Shortcut

FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 8:29 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1551 views)
Shortcut

How much does your Simba weigh? My Willy is about 7kg.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my