Home: Breed Specific: Hound Group:
Beagle Skin Problem

gy1
Novice

Jul 20, 2005, 1:32 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Beagle Skin Problem Can't Post

Pls help. I've got a 15 month old male beagle. Recently, he's been itching a lot with very strong body odour. His skin even flakes when I'm grooming him. I alos notice that they're tiny bumps on his body. Any of you had this experience before and what is the best way to cure it? Any recommendation on the shampoo to use? I'm currently using ALPO for puppies.

The food I'm feeding him is Breeder's Choice Avoderm and he has been eating it for 4 momnths now. His skin problem happened 1 month ago.

Pls help if some of you have experienced this.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 21, 2005, 3:49 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gy1] Beagle Skin Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

my beagle do not have any skin problem... but he certainly got strong body odour.. no matter what dog kibbles i gave him, he would have the body odour.. been feeding him rice mix with can food.. and he is not that smelly anymore... LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jul 22, 2005, 3:02 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Hello!

My beagle just healed from the the skin problems you mentioned in your post.

He had severe itchiness, flaky skin, black small lumps, which is some kind of fungal infection on his legs and strong body odour as well. I brought him to the vet and the vet recommend this shampoo called MALASEB. Bathe him twice a week with this shampoo for a month. Then once a week for another month. If the skin still has lumps, continue to bathe him with the shampoo for another month.

Also, go get some cod liver oil capsules for your beagle to get rid of the flaky skin. For the first 2 weeks, give him 2 capsules a day. Then, 1 capsule a day before giving him his food.

However, just a note : once you start on the MALASEB shampoo, he will shed even more fur and may start to have bald spots in certain areas around his body. Not to worry. This is normal. The fur will grow back.

However, make sure you go back to normal dog shampoo once your beagle's skin and fur has improved. The shampoo suggested by the vet is a VERY STRONG MEDICATED shampoo. To be used only on dogs that have skin problems.

Hope this advice helps.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2005, 10:36 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2605 views)
Shortcut

All dogs have body odour but sometimes this odour can come from the ears. Do check the ears.

Flaky skin can be overcome with oil supplements like fish oils, canola oil. A good shampoo for plaky skin is oatmel shampoo. Works wonders for dogs with dandruff and sensitive skin. The tiny bumps means allergic to the food. My dogs sed to have those tiny bumps but they are boxers and it is caused by the beef in dogfood. If can, get him lamb and rice formula. Or, try this brand I love Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Good and cheap holistic food that is healthy and it's sold at Giant Super Markets.

Malaseb is also good and very effective but is a strong medicated shampoo.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

gy1
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 12:08 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenix] Beagle Skin Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the help. Can MALASEB be found in any pet shop or do I have to get it from a vet?

gy1
Novice

Jul 26, 2005, 12:10 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Beagle Skin Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

My beagles ears are ok. very clean. I always put a liquid in his ears for cleaning. i'm feeding him Avoderm lamb and rice from Breeder's choice. Aren't all lamb and rice the same? Poor fellow starts to smell the next day after I bath him.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Jul 26, 2005, 3:33 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2579 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm.... well, lamb and rice are all the same, just that each dogfood brand has different ingredients. Check the ingredients. What is the first ingredient? Some dogfoods these days only use chicken, lamb and duck and salmon in the ingredients.

Here's a home remedy for dogs with body odour.

Smelly Dog
Vinegar Rinse for Smelly Dog Syndrome

* Bathe dog well in a good dog shampoo
* Rinse thoroughly, get all the soap out
* Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water, wet the dog well with this potion and leave on for 10 minutes.
* Rinse dog well.
* This last step is optional: Use a good show rinse of the type you leave in the coat and towel dry the dog.

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

phoenix
K9 Kaki

Jul 27, 2005, 8:06 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Some petshops do sell MALASEB. But normally, it is sold at local vet clinics.

My beagle also had odour, sometimes the very next day and sometimes even just after he had had his bath. However, his was caused by the fungal infection on his skin and the odour was eliminated as soon as the fungal infection cleared. Most dogs have body odour. It is just that some dogs have much less and some have stronger odour than others. Also make sure that you rinse off the shampoo properly. Any shampoo residue can also cause skin problems and itchiness.

Target and overcome this problem step by step. Continue giving him the same food but change the shampoo. After about 2 weeks, see if the skin improves and if the odour is less. If it is the same, then try changing his food.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
- Anonymous

The Poisoned One speaks

gy1
Novice

Aug 9, 2005, 10:41 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crazymouse_yyh] Beagle Skin Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot for your help guys. I've recently changed the shampoo to Breeder's Choice as well and it seems tobe working. I think I'll try the vinegar method. Sounds good. Thanks again.

aryan8277
Dog Kichi

Aug 24, 2006, 9:07 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gy1] Beagle Fur [In reply to] Can't Post

i have a doubt. i have a beagle called max. he is 1 1/2 year old. he is dropping quite sum or hair .

i had beagle before he didnt shed fur like this before. i have used medicated shampoo and normal shampoo ,

but his hair still dopping . im giving him eukanuba rice and lamb. he is healthy and naughty.

but concerns on his hair.

anyone can advice me .

regards

wan
K9 Maniac

Aug 24, 2006, 10:14 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aryan8277] Beagle Fur [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi aryan, the beagle group ppl here do experience our beagle dropping quite a sum of hair but we noticed it is seasonal. And one impt thing is do you noticed any bald spot ?

If not then I think it is fine. As beagle do change fur from what I know. My beagle do shed quite a bit too but doesnt see any bald spot so I assume is fine.

Do you give them oil supplement ?

Since you've beagle, if you don't mind you can chat with us at "Beagle owner in Penang" thread. Err, somehow we all just end up talking there. Whether fr Penang or not and majority r from KL.

Then we can discuss more over there. Tell us what's your beagle name, gender, etc.

* ~ My Life Has Changed 23rd June 2008) ~ *

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my