Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence!

klguy
Novice

Jul 16, 2005, 12:45 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2025 views)
Shortcut
Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! Can't Post

Hi there Sifus!

Been busy & away for some time and had to postpone the plans to buy a puppy but now after reading this forum thourghouly I must seek advice on what kind of Dog to buy & keep in Condo as I read Shih Tzu require a lot of grooming but was my choice in the begining as they are quiet & easily adapt to any enviourment!

Thanks in advance for the anticipated answers! Smile

JuStiN'doGgIe
Canine Addict

Jul 17, 2005, 8:25 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [klguy] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there...

some shih tzu r noisy while some r quiet... u want low maintenence dog ar? hmm... chihuahua, jack russel or mini pinsher lor... im having a toy poodle, they r really smart but require lotsa grooming, need to brush everyday... gud luck ya!

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2005, 3:27 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [klguy] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

seriously all dogs require some amount of maintenance and the biggest flaw about puppies are time you have to spend with them.

when we lived in our condo, we thought about a min pin before but found out they could be a barker, then we thought about beagles & JRTs but they are too active to be in a condo. guess what we finally settled for...........................................A GOLDEN RETRIEVER.

she lived with us for 8 months in a condo. she was quiet and had "reserved" energy, so she walks only in the evening. we put her in a playpen with simulation ie toys...fan to cool her and some soft music to calm her.

the whole time no one knew we had a dog until she was old enough to be brought outside for walks. she was calm, attentive and most accomodating to us. she was not demanding and we gave her all the attention she needs.

we then decide to get another dog and we adopted another golden retriever and now staying in a corner house with land for them

i am not suggesting you to get a golden, but merely saying what you choose now maybe SO MUCH DIFFERENT from what you will get.

good luck! i am glad we got a golden as i really like big dogs and trust me, it's a good "chick" magnet (so say the husband)LaughSly

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 20, 2005, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

kelsey

wow, how u manage the pee & poo? Laugh

Yang

Regards,

Yang

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2005, 4:04 PM

Post #5 of 11 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

when she was younger (less than 4 months), she poos in the toilet. after that we taught her to poo/pee at balcony. i work very near to the condo so i work 8 hours a day.

but then she started shedding, that is only when the trouble starts cause fur everywhere plus we knew she wanted a place she could run freely. so we move to a house.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 20, 2005, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelsey] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

kelsey

wow, u sure very happy loh when see ur dog run freely. last time when we do rescue me & my gf used to cage the dogs as there are too many & we are staying in an apartment, we always feel guilty & imagne how nice if we move to a landed house 1 day. then we shifted, but sadly not long after the dogs & pups enjoy, they are taken away in force & died..

Yang

Regards,

Yang

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Jul 20, 2005, 10:54 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leecy] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

taken in force and die??????

shirelo
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2005, 6:14 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Hi! Maybe u can try keep pug.

Bcox Ihaving a pug in my condo. So far, she din make much noise unless I locked her in cage.

Frown

klguy
Novice

Jul 21, 2005, 12:07 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shirelo] Staying in a Condo & need quiet dog with low maintainence! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the comments and from the looks of things most probably a pug or shis tzu! OK lah every day groom alos can lah! Hehehehehe hope it doesnt make too much noise in the 1st few days we bring it home![

robros
K9 Maniac

Jul 26, 2005, 7:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1893 views)
Shortcut

u better check out your neighbours first. my colleague was forced by his distant neighbour to give up his shih tzu when the old lady complained to the management once too many times when she noticed he still got the dog. Not that the dog is noisy or even bark, she just wants to be "lcly" about it. She is not even malay and stay a few floors up and on the other side of the building. Must be a dog hater.

The problem was my friend could not move, so he had to give up his shih tzu. Was not difficult to get someone to adopt such a beautiful dog but he was so sad-lah. As far as I know, a lot of condos DO NOT allow dogs but the rule is sometimes NOT strictly enforced in some places...until there is a complaint.

If that happens, what will you do? Give up your dog? Or move out? These are also some of the questions you have to ask yourself when staying in a condo and want to have dogs. Not many people have the luxury of being able to move out.

I am lucky as I stay in a landed property. I chose to do so predominantly because I have 2 rottweilers. Condo living is not an option for me at all.

My mum has a maltese mix shih tzu...size is smaller like maltese and they dun ever shed hair. When u trim their hair, the hair curl up like sheep, very cute. Maybe u should consider maltese. can train to be quiet. we always take her to stay in 5 star hotel and she will hide in out handcarry shoulder bag...quiet and no movement. while in the hotel room, she will be quiet like a mouse and even when we leave her alone. They are very intelligent and learn fast.

Evon Tan
Dog Kichi

Aug 6, 2005, 3:20 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Hi! klguy u buy a puppy already? Want u choice?? Shi tsu or pug??

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my