IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Show and Championship:
USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03

milooh

Apr 12, 2003, 6:29 PM

Post #1 of 17 (1679 views)
Shortcut
USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03 Can't Post

Hi, Milo and Jef are competing in the USDAA trial on Saturday and Sunday. The trial is at Elma, one hour ten minutes away from where we live. Jef is also running another dog, Sufi, an australian shepherd because his owner is hurt. Sufi and Milo are in the same classes so it will be interesting to watch how Jef handles Sufi. Have a fun weekend people.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

luckey
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 17 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [milooh] USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03 [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very cool... you mean the dogs are so well trained they can be handled / run by a different person other than their regular partner and still listen to the commands?

Well good luck in the trials and do take some photos to share with us! Wink

milooh

Apr 12, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #3 of 17 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, if you are an experienced handler, you can handle any other dog other than yours. Jef went for practice runs at an agility facility on Monday and he said Sufi was awesome. I dont take pictures but I always videotape the runs. If you have cable modem or a connection equivalent to dsl, please feel free to watch the videos, go to the website, on your left under Milo's video, select agility Milo or agility Iris or misc for fun videos to watch. http://www.jef-b.com/Dogs/

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

luckey
ALPHA

Apr 12, 2003, 7:43 PM

Post #4 of 17 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Tried to watch your videos, but didnt have the correct software to watch it... oh well, the pictures of MIlo on your site are great! What a talented fella. How old was he when you started training him in agility? Did you have to train him in obedience first, or do you go straight into agility training over there?

milooh

Apr 12, 2003, 10:30 PM

Post #5 of 17 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Let's see, Milo went for obedience classes when he was about seven months old. I dont really remember but he was probably ten months old or younger when he started agility classes. First, he went through pre-agility, that's when the equipment are not set at full height until he was about eleven months old. If I am not wrong, he trained for about a year before competing. His first trial was a NADAC sanctioned agility trial, February 9 and 10, 2002. Jef and Milo have really matured and grown as a team. Jef is still working on "knocking the bar" issue with Milo but I am sure Milo will catch on.

I think its better to go through obedience first because commands like sit and stay are helpful when doing agility. I dont think its a must but I would recommend it. Anyway, to watch the videos, just download windows media player and you will be all set.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 13, 2003, 2:59 AM

Post #6 of 17 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Hi Milooh!
All the best to Jef and Milo for their USDAA trails this weekend. Will they be competing in the 26in class? And basically how is the USDAA trails organised? Are there like several trails at county, state, region and national levels?
Jeff will be one of the few male handlers at the agility trails. I noticed that most handlers are women. Wonder why? Probably women makes better handlers!
Rdgs Arthur

milooh

Apr 13, 2003, 5:13 AM

Post #7 of 17 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Arthur, Milo is in the performance class (I think its performance and not preferred) because Jef doesnt want him to jump 26". I agree too. I dont really understand USDAA's rules and regulations regarding awards and points but I'll get there. The first thing is to go and just have fun watching the dogs and learn the rules along the way. Good observation and there are some good handlers who are male. Dont remember the names now but we'll talk later. Please talk more agility with me!!!!

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

boon
Doggyman

Apr 13, 2003, 5:46 AM

Post #8 of 17 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Hi Milooh,

Em agility ? sound interesting.........do u have any books or sites to recommend for a newbie like me ? I do have a yellow lab by the name of Bonney. She is 5 days to 11 months old, and a super hyper active monkey. I think is good for me to druin up some of her energy in this sport and training.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

milooh

Apr 13, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #9 of 17 (1635 views)
Shortcut

Yes, Milo is in the peformance class so he jumps 22". To be eligible for nationals, Milo has to compete in the regular class, i.e. he has to jump 26". So I dont think we are going there! SmileSmile The event is open to everyone and its actually held at the Grays Harbor County fairgrounds. A lot of clubs hold events there and its great because its so huge, indoors, heated, lots of space for crates, a snack bar, fast food restaurant and amenities as well.

Milo missed the up contact on the dogwalk and although it was dissappointing, I thought it was a perfect run other than that. He did the weave poles great (12 of them) and his contacts on the A frame and teeter were great too. Its sometimes hard for a big dog to touch the up contact on the dog walk and things just happens. He placed first in the next class, Gamblers.

Sufi was just awesome, awesome!!!. I had someone asking me if I got a new dog. I answered in the positive and said we got her from a rescue network. So I asked how she found out, and she said she saw Jef running our "new" dog. I laughed and said that was Sufi, Lynn's dog. Sly

I dont know how Milo and his partners did in the relay. We didnt stay on because it was late and we have an hour and ten minutes drive home. Milo did three relays and he was awesome in all of them. So hopefully we will know tomorrow.

Milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

milooh

Apr 13, 2003, 8:37 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] USDAA Trial, 4/12, 4/13/03 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure there are books and sites but I think its better to go for classes. I heard there are agility classes in Singapore or am I mistaken? You could drive down there during the weekend for classes? Nothing can replace this kind of class instruction, furthermore, you need your dog to practise and see other dogs in action in class while focusing on you when need be.

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

boon
Doggyman

Apr 13, 2003, 11:30 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Hi Milooh,

From Penang to Singapore will take about 7 to 8 hours depend how fast u drive. I don't think this is feasible. The only thing that i can hope for is MKA will have some kind of this in my area.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

luckey
ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #12 of 17 (1621 views)
Shortcut

HI Boon, I thought Penang ran agility classes? Dont they have a Penang Agility Association / Club or something? I think that Afghan in Penang does agility as well? (from what I hear and read)

luckey
ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 5:42 AM

Post #13 of 17 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Yeah it would be so great if they did agility here in Malaysia. But I think the interest hasnt really hit, and obedience is very established here now so most people go for obedience (although the majority of dog owners who show their dogs go for conformation shows). Am really interested in agility, coz I think Luckey would absolutely go wild. Been trying to train a little at home (just for fun) but the only obstacle we can really construct at home are the jumps.

boon
Doggyman

Apr 14, 2003, 4:32 PM

Post #14 of 17 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jenn,

Yeah, but there is some 'history' between the agility party and the so called dogs government. Crazy

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 14, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1605 views)
Shortcut

Hi Milooh,

Sound like you guys had a great day at the fairgrounds. I always feel hungry round the hotdog and curly fries standsAngelic! All the more agility appeals to me..can work off the extra calories and have fun at the same time.

From what you posted, looks like it was a full day of events for you guys. How many types of events does a typical USDAA trial have? Relays, Performanc class, Gamblers.etc..

BTW, you spot any Miniature Schnauzer entries. I believe the MS would be in the 12" class right? I also love to watch the shelties run. Beauty and form combined! Does the border collies still dominate the higher classes. In some countries, they have a ABC class..Anything But Collies Laugh!

Rdgs Arthur

milooh

Apr 15, 2003, 2:06 AM

Post #16 of 17 (1598 views)
Shortcut

The USDAA trial we went to as had two titling, one gamblers, snooker, relay and jumpers. A jumpers course has tunnels and jumps. Jumps can be triple or double jumps. Btw, I think Shelties run great but they are too noisy and sometimes mean too. I prefer my lab, Milo and IRiS, yes, I have a bc but she is not old enough to compete yet. We are currently taking her to preagility classes once a week and Jef takes her to a facility every Monday to practise with Milo and IRiS.

I guess the bc do dominate the upper levels like Advance, Masters and Grand Prix in USDAA or the other two organizations. Milo finally had a clean run in Titling on Sunday and unlike NADAC and AKC, it has to be a clean run with no mistakes to get a qualifying run in USDAA.

This "no mistake" rule only applies to the excellent level in AKC, not too sure about NADAC. Milo has a clean run in excellent standard run in AKC and he needs 2 more to earn his title. We are not too concerned about it for right now but hopefully, he gets another clean run next sat and sun. Otherwise, IRiS will save the day. She has a qualifying run in Open Jumpers (AKC) and is in the same excellent class as Milo but no qualifying run in excellent standard yet. She pulled a shoulder muscle and will make her first comeback next week. Hooray!!

milooh
Rossie
www.jef-b.com/Dogs

luckey
ALPHA

Apr 15, 2003, 5:06 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1593 views)
Shortcut

oh... didnt know... what kind of history is that?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my