german shepherd

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alana
Novice

Jul 12, 2005, 8:13 PM

Post #1 of 27 (3038 views)
Shortcut
german shepherd Can't Post

hello there. anyone knows anything about german shepherds? my brother has one and he has been acting very weird lately. it started with a limp on its front leg - we thought probably he has sprained it while playing in the garden. so the doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory medications for him and also the vet said he has intestinal problem so more med. anyway, that's done. now after 2 weeks, the german shepherd is still the same. no limping though. just behaving as if it has no mood..no appetite to eat.just sleeps the whole time or just lie there. when we bring him out to play or toilet, he's fine. apart from that, everything's fine except the behavior. any ideas whats wrong with him?

alana

he's 1 years old this year and he's been looking for the other female dogs in the house. could this be why he's depressed? possible sexually frustrated?

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #2 of 27 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alana] german shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 1 year old GSD as well. Perhaps you can help me by answering the questions below :

1] Is your GSD in a cage most of the time? 2] What are you feeding him? 3] How many hours are you with him? 4] Have you deworm him? 5] How about vaccination?

If you can give me more info, maybe i can help you.
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 16, 2005, 1:53 AM

Post #3 of 27 (3006 views)
Shortcut

"just behaving as if it has no mood..no appetite to eat.just sleeps the whole time or just lie there."

A dog who was previously active behaving like that now is normal. Seek a 2nd opinion frm another vet.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

alana
Novice

Jul 16, 2005, 4:40 AM

Post #4 of 27 (3000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] german shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess what? the dog is actually feeling fine now. went to see the vet again and apparently, he hasnt recovered from his instestinal problem. so more medications and now he's running and barking and behaving like his normal self - which is being naughty!!!

he's not being caged or anything. just that for the next few months, he would be kept in the terrace area cos of the constructions going on in our house but we let him run for a while during morning and lunch and then another let him loose in the evening until dinner time when he's back inside again. just to make sure he doesnt step on anything sharp or deadly from the construction.

hes been vaccinated etc. thanks for your concern khoo.

alana
Novice

Jul 16, 2005, 4:44 AM

Post #5 of 27 (2998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] german shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

"A dog who was previously active behaving like that now is normal." - are u sure?

anyway, he is back to behaving his ownself. i still have doubts about this vet that we go to though - he seems to be more business minded in his profession rather than about the animals. i have my doubts.....

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jul 16, 2005, 7:26 AM

Post #6 of 27 (2994 views)
Shortcut

sorry sorry...made a *huge* typing error ...i meant NOT normal...

well..can always change vets...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005, 6:46 PM

Post #7 of 27 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Vets are in a business of making money so the vet will try to charge for every damn thing they do. Ever notice they always keen to give medication even for a very problem. Then they can charge you lah...

alana
Novice

Jul 17, 2005, 5:13 AM

Post #8 of 27 (2975 views)
Shortcut

ya.. u can tell which vet is good by the way they handle the animals. some vets can be very fake when it comes to trying to sooth/comfort/calm etc the animal. the way they sound - it makes them sound so fake and as if being forced to say the words!!!!

some vets are just very natural with animals and very comfortable with them.

do vet always give injections to the dog when the dogs are not feeling well?is that like a standard procedure? jab jab jab.....

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2005, 6:43 PM

Post #9 of 27 (2963 views)
Shortcut

When they give jabs, they can charge higher. If they give you a few pills, they can only charge soo much.

alana
Novice

Aug 5, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #10 of 27 (2906 views)
Shortcut

i have ran out of idea re my bro's german shepherd. Previously the dog was down with intestinal problem, then limping etc. now he's still not recovered. still lack of appetite - maybe that's an understatement. the dog is more like on hunger strike. refused to eat his food unless u feed him using your hand!!!!! again, we brought him to the vet - guess what the vet says?! he took a blood test and told us that the dog has low red blood cell!!!! what the?! first it was intestinal prolem, now low red blood cell --- what next?!!!!! so my brother bought some concentrated gel mineral supplement since the dog refused to eat. even cooked some liver for him cos that helps with the problem. but it's been almost a week now, and the dog is still like that. any ideas what wrong with him?

he has his annual vacination etc. is it possible that he is now grown up and interested in the opposite sex? he's not as hyper as he used to be. he still wants to play but not for long. and he sleeps the whole day and refused to eat.

any ideas whats wrong with him? its painful to see the dog this way more so cos we dont know why he's behaving like this.

alana

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 5:37 PM

Post #11 of 27 (2879 views)
Shortcut

GSD is not only hyperactive but also very intelligent; hence, he needs a lot of attention, a lot of exercise, a job to do (some purpose in life) and family interaction.

Sorry, I can’t tell you from the few lines what could be wrong with him, but certainly something is not right. Following three possible paths – it’s your choice. You could select between none to all three.

It could be the medication did upset his stomach and/or intestine. Introduce some pro-biotic to re-establish healthy gut cultures.

Feed BARF diet, which would take care of appetite, healthy teeth, healthy gut and shiny coat.See another vet to get a second opinion.

alana
Novice

Aug 8, 2005, 6:10 PM

Post #12 of 27 (2873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] german shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your reply joesmith. really appreciate it.

do u think its possible that the GSD could be depressed cos there's is no other female dogs in the house (there are but they are all spayed).

whats a BARF diet?

i will be taking the GSD to another vet for another opinion. i doubt that the first vet that we went to will tell us anything that could be helpful. he'll probably give another jab and more tables to take. More jabs but no solutions at all.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 8:25 PM

Post #13 of 27 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Nope he does not get depressed because all the females are de-sexed. TongueCool

He might feel bored, but this you have to judge. As I said before, the GSD is a hyperactive dog and needs something to do, just to sit around and watch the day pass-by is not what he wants in life.

BARF stands for biologically appropriate raw food. This idea of feeding the dog the “carnivore's way of life” is explained in the dog book & in the nutritional section. WinkIt is always a good idea to go for a second opinion. Vets are businessmen and might be more concerned about the business then the dog.

alana
Novice

Aug 8, 2005, 8:40 PM

Post #14 of 27 (2853 views)
Shortcut

so there's no such thing as being depressed cos of the opposite sex. ok, so that eliminates one of the possibilities. i have made an appointment with another vet in town and will be bringing the GSD to see the vet after work. Hope this vet is not the business-minded vet!!

the GSD may be bored cos there's constructions going on in our house at the moment - so the GSD cant go out and play the whole day like he used to do. only until after construction stops for the day is he allowed out to roam the garden again.

In the mean time, is there anything that i can build or do so that he wont be bored in the house? i've thought about building an obstacle course but that would still be outdoor (any ideas how to build one?!)

help keep your fingers crossed so that this vet that i'm goin to is helpful and not just like one of them.....

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 9:31 PM

Post #15 of 27 (2843 views)
Shortcut

You might be right. The construction could be the problem. He can’t go out for business, can’t roam around, no excitement either; hence, no appetite from lying around.

Obstacle course is a possibility but it cost money and needs space. On the other hand, is it possible for you to go out and do some activity together, e.g. obedience training, tag-o-war and fetch games, jogging or running alongside a bicycle? That should keep him busy, happy and playing makes hungry too.Good Luck with the vet – Dr. Prem, Dr. Siva are good businessmen AND reliable good vets. Wink

alana
Novice

Aug 8, 2005, 10:33 PM

Post #16 of 27 (2841 views)
Shortcut

who is dr prem and dr siva? r u in msia?

surely there is a way to build the obstacle course using other sorts of materials? i have an extra car tyre that is not in used anymore. that can be part of the obstacle isnt it. wat other things can i include as part of the course?

because i am located in a small town there's no such thing as obedience training club or dog clubs etc. even vets are not a lot around - 3 in total.

i will try playing tug of war game with him. he likes playing football or fetch but because he was diagnosed with low red blood cell last week we didnt want to let him play too much or tire himself out.

i'll keep u updated as to what happened to the vet today. i have another problem with my own dog as well. her tummy's really bloated. i heard that she finished a can of dog food last night (cos the GS didnt want to eat it). i suspect her tummy's bloated cos she was bathed with the tick medication and i suspect that she was licking herself after her bath hence ingesting some of the tick medication as well. gonna bring her to the vet as well. either its the tick meds or the can of dog food she finished!!!!!!!

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 8, 2005, 10:59 PM

Post #17 of 27 (2834 views)
Shortcut

YES, I am in Malaysia. Staying in JB but used to stay in KL before.

Dr. Prem is at Brickfields animal clinic and Dr. Siva is at AMC at Jln Tun Razak, both in KL.

Sorry to hear about the bunch of problems you are facing. I would not bother to much about it anyway. If you play, then just don’t force and the dog will stop playing when he feels tired. Some activity will help to rebuild blood cells, rather then lying around.

You do not need a club to do obedience training, just practice some of the commands when you are playing outside. That will make him feel important, gives him something to think about and strengthen the bond between both of you. All of that is good.Consider yourself lucky that a can of food can make your doggie looking fat. I would be happy when I could achieve that with my dog. Cool Anyway, if the dog is happy moving around and just looking a little bloated is not a bad sign at all. Reduce his food until he has the perfect shape again. Sly

alana
Novice

Aug 8, 2005, 11:59 PM

Post #18 of 27 (2824 views)
Shortcut

oh. i'm actually from the other side of malaysia - Sarawak.

i think ur right - just play with the dog and if he's tired, he will stop. afterall, its a GSD. will take your advice.

as for my other dog (which is the one in the picture) - sunshine - well, she still has appetite (not sure whether that's cos she's greedy by nature!) but just not as frisky as before. walking very slow (either she's feeling very heavy from the can of food or the tummy is just not feeling comfortable). will bring her to the vet nevertheless. (She looks like she's pregnant! - which is impossible!))

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 9, 2005, 12:44 AM

Post #19 of 27 (2818 views)
Shortcut

Well, nice to meet you. Sorry, I don’t know anyone from East Malaysia and hope that you will find some within puppy.com who is in your neighborhood and who is able to advise you.

I doubt that Sunshine has any problem, as long as she has appetite and moves around as usual. She might be obese and that is easy to solve, just cut down the food supply.Of course, nothing wrong with visiting the vet. Just hope that he is not showering you with lots of bills, just to benefit from your concern.

alana
Novice

Aug 9, 2005, 7:01 PM

Post #20 of 27 (2798 views)
Shortcut

hey joesmith. guess what? i brought both sunshine and the GSD to the vet yesterday. let me say that with this vet, at least when i left the clinic, i left with a piece of mind. lets just say this vet takes his time to explain the situation and possible causes.. and he definitely doesnt try to be nice to the dog (as as if he likes the dogs). he's very natural! u can always tell when a vet tries too hard to be nice to the dog and those that are naturally nice...

the vet did a blood test on the GSD to make sure its not heartworm (the symptoms seems to be like heartworm). he rang back with the result this morning and its negative. i guess it could just be the hot weather plus the fact that he's movement is a bit restricted at the moment cos of the construction going on. the GSD had a bit of fever yesterday.

as for my sunshine - well, i was right. it was the tick shampoo thats causing her tummy to bloat. the first thing the vet asked when he saw sunshine ' have she just had her wash with the tick shampoo!?' apparently cases like sunshine is a common thing! haha..phew.... the doctor gave her a jab to clear the toxin out of her system and some charcoal tables to rid of the gas thats trapped in her tummy which is causing her to bloat! much to my disappointment, sunshine didnt fart last night though she did make a big mess in my room!!! well, as long as it helps......

so not much we can do about the GSD except to bring him out for play during the evening (which we do) and start hosing him down during hot days!!! hope he'll return to his normal self soon.

thanks for your advise and tips joe smith. really appreciate it.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Aug 11, 2005, 7:46 PM

Post #21 of 27 (2786 views)
Shortcut

Good to hear that both dogs are fine. SmileSorry about the mess, but accidents happen.

alana
Novice

Aug 11, 2005, 11:42 PM

Post #22 of 27 (2778 views)
Shortcut

hey joesmith.

both dogs are fine but the GSD is still like that. i guess he needs to be a bit more patience (wait for construction work in the house finish).

sunshine is definitely recovering. tummy slight bloated still but appetite wise still very full of appetite. haha

khoo262
Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2005, 6:32 PM

Post #23 of 27 (2762 views)
Shortcut

why don't you get your GSD a kong? Put some food inside and they play with it for hours.

alana
Novice

Aug 12, 2005, 6:46 PM

Post #24 of 27 (2758 views)
Shortcut

hey khoo.

i've tried something similar to kong. its a ball shape where u can stuff biscuits in it and when u roll the ball it makes noise. doesnt seem to interest him.

thanks for the tip though khoo.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 12, 2005, 8:01 PM

Post #25 of 27 (2756 views)
Shortcut

i bought a kong before a ball shape wan.....

i stuff lots of things inside.... but my dog fail to get those things out after a few attempt... and then she gave up.........

is the kong just to hard to chew for my dog??

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my