Silky Terrier

Harry Silky
New User

Jul 7, 2005, 7:53 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Silky Terrier Can't Post

Hi...

I'm just bought a silky terrier 2 weeks ago and he is abt 3 months de.
  • Can someone explain to me is there any different a silky terrier and australian terrier?
  • Btw my dog keeps biting my hands and toes all the time (everytime there is movement). Is this type of dog find hard to teach?
  • Does this type of dog stop biting at older age? At which age?

Dog Lover

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 7, 2005, 4:23 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Harry Silky] Silky Terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparison of

Yorkshire Terrier - Silky Terrier - Australian Terrier

What is the difference between a Yorkshire, Silky and Australian Terrier you may ask? Well, they are related in a way.

The Yorkshire Terrier is a dog with maximum weight of 7 pounds; it has much less muscle and body weight than a Silky Terrier, and is very refined in bone. They also have a more rounded, dome-shaped skull, large round eyes and a short muzzle. A Silky will have a longer, more wedge shape to the head with a flatter skull and an almond shape to the eye. The Australian Terrier head is very much like the Silky only a little larger and coarser. The Silky will weigh approximately 10 pounds while the Australian Terrier weighs in closer to 18 pounds.

The Yorkshire and Silky have similar coats in that it is a single coat (much like human hair). The Australian Terrier has the broken coat (coarse with undercoat) common to most terriers. The Yorkshire and Silky coats do not shed while the Australian Terrier will shed the undercoat about twice a year. The Silky and Australian Terriers have ears which stand erect on top of the head while the Yorkshire ears are erect but may flare more to each side of the head.

The Silky and Australian Terriers are quite similar in temperaments, a true terrier!! A Yorkshire is a ‘small’ terrier but does like to be a pampered ‘pillow’ dog whereas the Silky and Aussie are more independent in nature.

Below are photos at varying ages of all three for you to better be able to see the difference. At one day old, all three look very much alike except birth weight may vary with the Yorkshire being the smallest. It doesn’t take long for them to start showing the difference though – both in looks as well as temperament.

Australian Terrier

8 Weeks 6 Months Adult Head Adult Body

Strong terrier with broken double coat (soft undercoat) weighting approx 18-20 lbs

Very robust terriers with longer than tall body

Upon close observation you can see the Aust. Terrier is much like a Silky with the addition of single, long silky coat.

Silky Terrier

8 Weeks 5 Months Adult Head Adult Body

Terrier of more refined bone that Aust. Terrier but still very sturdy and muscled. Able to catch small varmits.

They are a single coated dog with hair silky in texture. Almond eyes and ears on top of the head.

Note the longer length of body ~ wedge shape head

Yorkshire Terrier

6 weeks Pet Yorkie Adult Head Adult Yorkie

Small, petite dogs that are terrier in nature but lend themselves to being "pillow or lap" dogs.

Yorkie & Silky's are similar in coat textures and colors

Note the square body and more dome shape to the head and slight flare to the earset.

Harry Silky
New User

Jul 9, 2005, 6:58 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Silky Terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks 4 ur info.

At first i cant differentiate. now i do. The silky terriers are intelligent.

Dog Lover

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 11, 2005, 6:21 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Harry Silky] Silky Terrier [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the silky gang.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my