Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
scratching, digging or biting Wall

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jul 6, 2005, 10:42 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4331 views)
Shortcut
scratching, digging or biting Wall Can't Post

hi, anyone know how to discourage a dog to scratch, dig and bite into a wall?

it's a flat wall and i wonder how in the world he can start scratching into it. now my walls looks like some of you guys' lawn...holes everywhere. Crazy

maybe my house doesn't have a garden (all tiles), and he found the wall to be soft enough to dig into it..hahahaa.Laugh

hope someone can advise soon before my walls looks like piece of cheese!

Frown Me : Agnes
Blush Hubby : Terry
Frown Doggie : Beauty

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2005, 6:16 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beauty_n_Lee] scratching, digging or biting Wall [In reply to] Can't Post

Dogs usually scratch a wall to shorten their nails. Do you check & cut his nails frequently??
finally..... khoo262 has come back to puppy.com

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 12, 2005, 11:59 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khoo262] scratching, digging or biting Wall [In reply to] Can't Post

When he scratches at one particular spot only then something might be inside the wall.

I know that dogs will dig for a more comfortable resting place or to get to cooler soil beneath the surface heat. This is triggered by instincts and happen anywhere. Not much logic for us, when done on tiles or concrete, but an understandable reflex.

If scratching the wall and licking or eating the material then some need for minerals might have triggered this action.Very interesting is your point of shortening the claws as another reason.

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2005, 6:31 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JoeSmith] scratching, digging or biting Wall [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe there's a dead body in the wall??

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 18, 2005, 8:27 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4268 views)
Shortcut

Haha, then your house is a hantu place and you could organize some guided tours – people like to get a shiver and would pay for it.

Anyway, if he keeps on scratching the same spot for a while then he will be soon inside the house, Malaysian house walls are not very thick or strong.Maybe he just wants to come inside? Wink

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2005, 9:26 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Yeah lah...later can write a book about it. a few years later...maybe a movie will come out. I want Steven Spielberg to be the director....we can call it Justabodyinawall Park.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 22, 2005, 10:15 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4250 views)
Shortcut

The wall is still intact? Or is he still digging? Shocked

In case that you plan to go ahead with the book and start searching for a suitable author cum script writer.

I might be easier to find one when you claim that your dog is, or is at least an offspring from, Rin Tin Tin. WinkMay I bring in my dog for an impressive tail wagging, which could dust the wall while your dog is digging?

khoo262
Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005, 8:28 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4230 views)
Shortcut

tail wagging.....can dust off wall. that's quite good. maybe he can work for DBKL as well.

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 26, 2005, 9:50 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Called them up but government offers lousy pay and working conditions not to our standard (my dog does the tail wagging when happy only). Tongue

Beauty_n_Lee
Novice

Jul 28, 2005, 1:42 AM

Post #10 of 13 (4209 views)
Shortcut

for some reason, she has stopped the digging and scratching. Dunno why. maybe becoz my hubby gave her a good lecture. Wink

Now, even when people start to throw pamphlets into our compound, she doesn't dare to chew on it after my hubby gave a loud stern "hhhmmmm!"

my only problem left is pulling during walks. Will try to look at other post for ideas and tips. If you have come across, please print the links here. thanks.

Frown Me : Agnes
Blush Hubby : Terry
Frown Doggie : Beauty

JoeSmith
K9 Maniac

Jul 29, 2005, 5:44 PM

Post #11 of 13 (4198 views)
Shortcut

Hi Agnes, the pulling is a common but easy to solve problem.

Get a very long line/rope and attach to the collar. Let her run around on a open field until the full line is extended and then start walking in the opposite direction. Don’t talk, just walk. Whenever she starts walking in the same direction, change direction.

Even the most stubborn dogs will get frustrated and start focusing on the master after a while. Within a few sessions, you will be able to shorten the line, because she will walk next to you. Then you can start working on the proper heel command, if you wish to achieve that. If she pulls when distracted by cats, etc. only then it is the stern HEEL command together with a swift “reminder” by jerking the leash which would do the job quickly. Good Luck.

leecy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 24, 2005, 2:16 AM

Post #12 of 13 (4102 views)
Shortcut

beside JoeSmith's suggestion which is very good, & juz in case u r worry abt providing long leash which means ur dog might be hard to control (for eg. if he saw strangers or cat & give a chase) or u may not find a suitable place (u need to look for a place with less traffic), then perhaps u can try my suggestion.

well while u walk with ur dog, once he pull the leash, u stop. ask ur dog to sit then only u start walking again. keep repeating this until ur dog et to know if he pulls, he will have to stop. he will enjoy walking only if he walks with u.

hope this help. Tongue

Regards,

Yang

zen
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2006, 11:34 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Frown same pro here. my pup just love to bite the wall...i oso dunno why...he bite off all the paint...gosh im wondering wheter he will get poison onot.

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my